Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Mirror is UP in foyer

User
15 years ago

Here it is! Hopefully it's not hung to high (6" from buffet) cause it's staying where it is.

{{!gwi}}

I'm not keeping this lamp here but wanted to use it to show the size. This lamp is 30".

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Even in the middle, I think it looks goofy because of the hangy thing on the mirror

{{!gwi}}

The tape is showing 20" tall here. (I included the actual tape measure in the measurement, so from the bottom of the tape to the end is 20")

{{!gwi}}

Think the lamp should still be off to the side? Think I should stick in the lower 20" range for a fatter lamp?

Here's the candle holders I mentioned in the other thread last night. I don't think they really look right on here though. It was a though!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (62)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh no! It may be too low. Crap, crap, crap! :P I'll also admit I used toggle anchor things to put it up so I'm going to have nice sized holes in the wall. I guess this doesn't matter much since the mirror will hide it but I swear everything I've ever put up in my house (hasn't been that much) I had to redo!

Val -Still think I should look for a ceramic lamp..with a black shade? Or just keep my eyes peeled for something more squatty with the black shade?

Squirrel - I just checked and I didn't take even one picture with the top cleared. I'll fix that tonight! Get ready! :)

• budge1
    15 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I have ever once hung something perfectly the first time. All my art, mirrors, etc have at least two holes hiding behind them :-)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What if...... I bagged the lamp idea and went with some type of arrangement? Something like this...

I know there are lots of people who don't care for silks but I think a lot of us will agree there's difference in quality. Plus with two cats in the house fake is a must. I also dust on a regular basis!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

At least it may be hung too low and not the other way around and the holes in the wall would then be showing. I'm not convinced it's too low--after all you want it to be connected to the buffet as well.

shesharee: I can see a few different looks there. From my experience it can be difficult finding a ginger jar (porcelain) lamp for under $75. There are also the colors and design to consider and a vintage one will also require a new shade--more money. We can keep looking--but one that is more vase shaped than what you have presently. It did seem some felt these type of lamps were too bedroomy and were steering you in a more sophisticated look where the bling factor is more from the shade. But it is a personal decision. What do you like?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Val - I hear ya about being difficult finding a ginger jar lamp that's cheap. When you say more vase shaped are you talking about ones similar to what you have? (If I remember right)

The things I do know are that I don't want to give a bedroomy look, funds are somewhat limited and the obvious, I want everything to look good and compliment each other.
    Victorian (but not overboard), Traditional, Sophisticated, Elegant...all things I visualize when I hear these words are what I like and would consider to use in my house.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do like #1. I acutally saw that one last night and wanted to mention but forgot!
    also like 2 & 3

tdon't care for 4 & 5.

the last two are ok.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

#1 Is my fav., and it's only 23" high!! Think it would be too much with the mirror?

Wonder if Squirrel would be interested in PS that one... :)

• User
    15 years ago

Look at this:

Here's a pair of 26" lamps for $99. + $2.05 ship at Overstock.com

{{!gwi}}

Pair of Lamps

and

For $109.00 and 27's tall at Overstock.com:

{{!gwi}}

Hand Painted Lamp

Another possibility:

Grand Vase Lamp

Jim

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I don't think I've ever hung anything right the first time either. (OK, sometimes not even the second time! LOL!) If you do think it's too low, go ahead and bite the bullet and rehang it. Yeah, you'll have extra holes in your wall, but you can patch those. Eventually. ;-) The important thing is to absolutely love the entire look once it's finished.

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Jim I like the second one..I think the overall shape of the lamp AND the shade, would compliment both the buffet and mirror..which are both very stylized. Although the shade that's shown is beautiful, I can also see it with a Black Shade, which would give it a simple elegance.

• nanmeade
    15 years ago

Here is what I learned a couple of weeks ago about hanging pictures. It is from Deserving Design. Vern Yip said to hang your pictures 60" from the floor to the middle of your picture. I always hang my artwork, mirrors etc way too low and sure enough, I moved some of them to 60" from the floor to the middle of the artwork and they look better. I'm not sure if that works for mirrors but I can look straight at the artwork now just like I would if I were putting on lipstick at a mirror.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

What about this one?

It's listed on my local Craigslist. It's a tad pricy, but I don't think they can get $200 for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Candlelabra lamp

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jim - I like the shape of the second lamp. Thank you for posting those!

slinky I could see it with a black shade too!

redsox - That sounds like good advice about the 60" to middle of pic. I'll have to try that out. I bought a print recently and was trying to figure out how high to put it.

val - I like that lamp. Not in love with it enough to spend $200.00. Doesn't it resemble my chandy too much? I was checking my CL today and the selection of lamps and rugs isn't great.

Ha I'm guessing nobody is digging the flower arrangements I posted?

• annzgw
    15 years ago

You're right....I'm not digging the flower arrangements! ;)

Look at the pics kmc posted and you'll see less is more. I think your candle holders would work but put some candles on them and maybe a small container of faux greenery angled slightly behind the one toward the front. Then decide if they work or not.

I love the second lamp and think it may work with a black shade. It's colors would pick up on the faux greenery.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Sorry, I'm not lovin' the greenery either. It seems too fussy with the mirror. Since the mirror is so beautiful on its own, I really think you need to go with something simple. It will let the mirror shine (ha) on its own! I love the ginger jar shape, but I also like a simple candlestick lamp and black shade. I also like the look of the plate(s) displayed in the photo above. (The one in Val's post). Simple and elegant. Concentrate on finding elements you love, in a photo.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Here I go again with the pictures! Lol!

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Shee,
    Your mirror looks great!! I think I told you how much I love it:)

Kmcg and Jim - I love your pics that you post. Thanks.

Okay, here are my worth nothin' thoughts......why not swag the pretty chandelier over the buffet in the middle. The mirror would reflect the light and crystals. I had longer chain & cord added to one and it was like $40 - you could probably DIY it but I know nothing about wiring!! Then get 2 urns for each side of the buffet - nothing dressy - maybe even outside garden urns - kinda crusty & old looking. I have a planter I bought from Old Time Pottery that looks like it has old moss growing on it. The urns would tone down the dressiness of the mirror & chandelier.

Then stay real simple with your rug.

Smiles:)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahh I still like the floral arrangements. :) It might be too much with the mirror. Plus as soon as my cats saw the feathers it would be all over, God love em.

annz - I currently don't have any candles for them (can you believe that!) I'll pick up some over the weekend. There's a flea market place near me that has this bunny planter. The whole thing is a creamy white. The bunny is half sitting up looking into the planter. He looks vintage, has a crackle finish in spots. I look at him every time I go in there but didn't know where to put him. I just may buy him over the weekend. I'll find a spot for him somewhere. Do bunnies go with fancy mirrors? I saw someone's house on here a long time ago that had a bunny thing sitting on their DR buffet and I really liked it. Didn't save the pic and can't remember who.

kmcg - I like the look of the plates above too. I remember reading awhile back about "should plates be displayed in the kitchen?" I never thought of it like that but now it comes to mind every time. Guess I have mixed feelings!

johnatemp - Thank you! I threw out the rest of the chain for the chandelier. I'm sure I could buy more but that little thing was hard to get up there. Some others have mentioned this too. I can't picture what it would look like.
    What type of urns are you talking about? One with arms? There's not a lot of room so they would have to be small. What should go in them? Are you thinking those topiary things?

I think I need to just live with the mirror up for awhile.

I'm honestly really liking this one from lampsplus. That may be too much for the mirror also.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What if I did the bunny planter thing with greenery in the and did some black transferware plates? Something similar to the pic Kmcg posted with plates. Then somehow find a more simple lamp with black shade.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I love that idea! Hopefully the sizes will mesh nicely. Not sure I'd do plates so similar in shape to the mirror, but I like those very much.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Do you have a pic of the bunny planter? It sounds adorable! I've seen something similar. Even plain cream plates like in the insp. pic would be nice. My concern is NOT having it fight the mirror. The mirror is the star!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't even have it yet. BUT i'm headed there in a bit to buy it. Like I said I've been eye balling it for months now. I'll find a place for it. It currently has cheapy, tiny, purple flowers in it that I'll take out.

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

Here's a porcelain ginger jar lamp that seems to have the proportions (25" high). I've ordered from this company before and have always been very pleased with the quality/quick shipping. If you become a member, everything ships free. Their lamp stock also changes frequently, so check the site often.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain ginger jar lamp

• tx_happy_camper
    15 years ago

What about sconces on the wall? They don't have to be electric, maybe just some nice ones that hold candles for decoration.

If the mirror does end up being too low, is it possible to move the wire or hanger on the back of the mirror lower instead of moving the anchors in the wall?

I love the mirror--it's a beautiful shape. The flower arrangements are too over the top with the mirror. If you want to do flowers they need to be a lot simpler or shorter and wider.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got the bunny planter and put some ivy in it. I really like it!! I also bought two vintage, metal candlestick type lamps. I don't know if they're too short but I like the lamps by themselves. I also like that the shades and part of the lamp is black. I do think there needs to be some color somewhere on the buffet. Maybe red or green transferware plates? I'll have to post pics tomorrow. I don't know how to load pics from my camera to my laptop. The spot I thought the cord went in, wouldn't work when I tried.

teeda - thanks for that link! I do like that lamp and it's more in my price range. Also good to know you've had good luck ordering from them.

tx happy - I have thought about sconces, just didn't pursue it any farther because I had so many different ideas it was just too much.

The mirror has two hooks on each side of the scrolly things. It's right at the top so I'd have to move them toward the middle or something. I was going to use a wire but because of where the hangers are you would see the wire.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Well, I am excited to see your bunny planter (I have a couple of bunny accessories in my house) and your candlestick lamps. I think the plates are cool.. but I think they'll be too much--and like kcmg suggested, they'll steal the thunder from the mirror. Perhaps you could hang them down on the wall by the chair? I don't know.. I am not one of the people who hang plates outside of the kitchen/dining room so I am at a loss for a good suggestion.

As for your camera to laptop connection, are you using a USB connection? You have to go at it straight on-- and top/bottom makes a difference too. it will look like a little slot and usually has USB next to it. On my gateway it is on the side-- on my dell it is in the back.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funky - Well hmm... how can I add color to the buffet then?

USB... I have a wireless USB connector sticking out the back of my dell. That's where the connector thing goes huh? I pick up internet from my parents. (They're diagonal from me) I'll have to get offline and try it.

Here goes....

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It worked! Thanks Funky! After looking at these the ivy looks a little wild. I'll fix it better in the bunny.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

here's a plate I had in the kitchen to give an idea of the transferware.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

something red I had around the house
    {{!gwi}}

So, thoughts?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I just looked at these again. Bunny looks kind of mean in the last pose. Must be the angle!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Love your finds, though they are all small scale. To get more impact from your lamps, how about raising one up onto a decorative box or some antique books. Cluster something else in there with them for color. Tamed the ivy a bit, and added some berries for the bunny : )

Something like this. Might want to reverse this, too, lamps to the right.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You think I should just use one lamp? And raise it up? Hmm..I did think about raising it but then wondered about my idea. ha

So think I should possibly buy some type of plate(s) there or no?

After I was looking at the lamps I was wishing there were a little taller and a little bigger. They were cheap and I liked them.

Other thoughts about a bigger based lamp, wouldn't that hide a good bit of the side of the mirror? Between the base and shade?

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I like everything except the ivy in the bunny. The bunny is cute but the ivy is distracting - my eye immediately goes to the ivy. The plate is very nice and the lamps are perfect.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

No, both lamps are there, they're just grouped together and offset so they don't get lost. I like the toile there and the plate itself, but it seems much the same shape and size as the bunny, who is adorable : )

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

robynpa - what would you put in the planter? I am going to downsize the ivy. Threw it in quick when I got home. Also took squirrel's advice and threw some berries in. Maybe that will end up being my color. I'll have to post pics tomorrow, gotta get my butt to bed.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel - well that plate is going back in my kitchen :) so I could maybe find something else toile that would work? Red or green?

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Very nice. I like the staggered heights of the lamps which follow the lines of the mirror. I have propped up one of my vases with a wooden box. I can take a pic tomorrow if you like. I also like the transferware. How about a real ivy plant for the bunny? Then I think you are done--less is more.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

That's what I'm talkin' about!! See, a little bit of playing around and tweaking here and there and you have success! LOVE the lamps! Love the color of them. The height dosen't really bother me, but I might change my mind when I see them propped up. Have any old looking leather (faux) bound books around? Use that as props for the lamps or place two of them side by side standing up or sit the bunny on them. ( if you read Magnaverde's article in O at Home, you will see that he used square styrofoam forms that were used as packing from boxes, spray painted those black and used them to prop his lamps on! Genius!)How about an african violet in the bunny? It would bring in color and I think would be better scale for the planter. The ivy is too big and hides the bunny somewhat. I do like the plate, place it in the middle, to the back, the bunny moved in between the lamp and the plate and get one more small, low bowl and place that on the other side of the plate across from the bunny or small vintage silver looking frames. I would also try a bigger plate for fun. Use a dinner plate to try out the scale. Get a small lunch plate as well and play around with it. You will know which size looks better. Once you have settled on the size, then you can look for a pretty toile or cream plate in that size. LOOKIN' GOOD!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

You can also use a small jar for color. Like this:
    {{!gwi}}
    I have one similar I got at marshall's last year for around $10.00. It is a spode jar.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Val - yes a picture please! Should I stick with a plate for the transferware or should I do some type of lidded jar or something? Something with a little more height?
    How hard is real ivy to keep alive? A ton a real plants/flowers are poisonous to cats. I just double checked and there were 4 ivy plants listed that are. My cats are good about staying off things but I'd feel horrible if something happened to them because of that.

Squirrel - I threw some berries in quick last night. I'll take the time over the weekend to downsize the greenery.
    {{!gwi}}

Here's your cleared buffet pic.
    {{!gwi}}

I also threw some books under the one lamp just for visulization of what it might look like raised up. I don't really have any decorative books.
    {{!gwi}}

one lamp
    {{!gwi}}

So think I should keep the lamps or still go after a ginger jar type? These were also a cheap find so I didn't break the bank.

What about something similar to one of these?
    I like all the following. Would they work better than a plate?

11" high
    {{!gwi}}

8"
    {{!gwi}}

10" tall
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220172773441

8.5"
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310060335857

7"
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220168428980

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kmcg - African Violets...I think that may have been what was in the planter when I bought him?? They were REALLY cheasy though.
    {{!gwi}}

Let me prune the ivy a little :) I swear I'll fix it. I just stuffed the whole end piece in last night.
    Was there a pic in the article with the styrofoam forms? Heck, I just had a bunch from boxes and threw them out.

When you say small vintage silver looking frame, are you talking picture frame?
    I'll try the dinner plate thing too. Good idea.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Are REAL african violets poisonous? That's what I am picturing. No ivy! I think it takes away from the planter. Yes, there was a picture of Mag's styrofoam squares! Place the books with spines looking at you, stacked straight.Try 2 for height. I'm lovin' how this is coming along! You are a trooper! Hope you are enjoying the process.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm finally enjoying the process! I was getting frustrated for awhile.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/common_poisonous_plants.html

I don't think africian violet is on the list. That still makes me nervous though.

I'll have to check out those pics.

Shouldn't I get some old leather books? So you think both lamps should be raised? Or only use one lamp?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I think you can go either way. One lamp or two. I like both. And yes, if you raise them, then they BOTH need to be raised. Pick up an african violet when your at the grocery store today. ;)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I see some flowers have arrived! I was going to suggest that this morning, also, for color, instead of the ivy. The lamps are supposed to be staggered on one side of the buffet : ) Check out the above virtual. Hopefully you can find some smaller, darkish, old leather bound books.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

sheesh, I think you've nailed it. I think those lamps are perfect. The smaller scale allows the "highlight" to be mirror (which it's going to be anyway, because of it's strong lines).

I love love love the lamps on the sides, with the transferware and the bunny planter. I think it's okay that the accessories are smaller scale.

Good job!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel - AHHHhh I see the lamps staggered now. Sorry! I like it! I'm really not with it today. I swear I didn't see the other lamp last night on my monitor either. It was late so that's my excuse for then! I'll use I'm tired as my current excuse!! :)

I'll search for some small books. Dark colors? (black/brown)

African violets ... purple kind of rates close to where yellow does with me. . . :)

I'll try some different things!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Squirrell! I confess I didn't see that you had BOTH lamps there! I like that too! I must've been drinking decaf! Sheesh!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phew! Glad I'm not alone! I was sitting here thinking,"was it my monitor? Is is darker and you have to move the screen around at times....."

• annzgw
    15 years ago

IMO, some small leafed dark ivy, (Michaels has some nice ivy) or even variegated ivy, would look best with the rabbit. Let some of it trail to the buffet and then arrange it so it looks like he's peeking thru it.

For hardback books, check out Salvation Army or Goodwill. A used book store will also have some.

Either the lamps together or one on each end is a good setup.