Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

URN . ..yay or nay?

anele_gw
9 years ago

I love the look of this urn . . .has that Art Nouveau feeling I like. But, I bought it online and it looked gray. IRL, no.

Does it clash too much with my house? And yes, my front "garden" is a mess . . .

It would not go in this exact spot but the general area. I have two: one for the other side of the stairway.

Thank you!

Comments (21)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Doesn't clash at all. Stone/earthenware/natural materials never do.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Perfect

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I can't imagine something like that could clash... But in the picture we don't really see your house⦠Love the urn in any event

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

It looks very nice there.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

When filled with flowers/plants, it will be enhanced to look like they had been planted in the earth (color wise). It's beautiful.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I think it is lovely.

• User
    9 years ago

Concrete goes with everything.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I like it a lot. What kswl said.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think it's wonderful!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Love it, and when filled with (and surrounded by) greenery and other things, it will be perfect.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

it looks grayish in your pic-- what color are you seeing irl- green?? taupe?? nothing is clashing in your photo... it looks nice!
    it looks like it might be a resin--if it is resin material, the color will probably change over the years(fade) with exposure to the sun anyway!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It looks perfect. i actually like the slightly greenish shade.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

It doesn't clash. It adds depth and don't forget when you add flowers/plants some of it will be hidden. You can always put hanging plants in it and completely hide the sides.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! I was seeing a sort of taupe-peach, so I'm glad to know it works.

Now to get some fall flowers in them! I've been wanting urns for 9 years!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Anele, a hint to make them not so heavy...and I am assuming they are resin, but they can still get heavy filled with a lot of potting soil. I have learned this over the years with big pots and urns. Especially the ones I use in the front of the house where I want to change out the flowers in summer and fall.

Find two plastic pots that are almost the same size as the urns but have some room to lift in and out. These can be cheap plastic pots, but deep enough to hold plenty of soil. Fill the bottom of the urn with shredded bark mulch up to the bottom of the pot you will use for your plants. Then just set the planted pot into the urn. Once the plant fills out you will not be able to tell your little secret about the pot. And you can just lift it out when you're ready to change plants. And if the mulch decays, just add a little bit more. I even add mulch to the bottom of larger pots before adding potting mix. Gives good drainage, lightens the pot, and saves on expensive potting mix in large pots.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

yay!

• dakota01
    9 years ago

Outsideplaying I had to weight my large urns that flank my front door due to high winds. I also didn't want to fill them with so much potting soil.

So, I put bricks in the bottom then bought a product called uptsy daisy. They come in different sizes and fit inside the urn or large pot. You plant right on top of them. They are really cool and my plants are doing well with them.

Love your urns! I waited to find the right ones and found ones at wayfair. Since they were a resin type product I worried about the quality. But, they are way nicer than ones at the big box stores.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

Outsideplaying I had to weight my large urns that flank my front door due to high winds. I also didn't want to fill them with so much potting soil.

So, I put bricks in the bottom then bought a product called uptsy daisy. They come in different sizes and fit inside the urn or large pot. You plant right on top of them. They are really cool and my plants are doing well with them.

Love your urns! I waited to find the right ones and found ones at wayfair. Since they were a resin type product I worried about the quality. But, they are way nicer than ones at the big box stores.

• sameboat
    9 years ago

I have two similar shaped urns flanking my front door. Can't wait to stack pumpkins and grapevine in them this Fall!

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Nice size and shape; it will be pretty when you get it filled.

I have two large resin concrete looking planters that I have used for years. They have aged over time to look just like old concrete with a little mold growing in the crevices :) My orange marigolds are gorgeous in them this year. Last year it was wave petunias.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

When I first read the title of your post, I thought you were asking whether or not you should display someone's ashes in an urn! Anyway quite relieved to see that lovely concrete urn- lol. Very pretty and goes with anything.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH