Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Show me your leather sofa?

msrose
15 years ago

I've never really wanted a leather sofa, but after the post on the best sofas for pet owners, I'm thinking leather may be the best option. I'm wondering if most leather sofas are a similar style. Also, is all of your furniture leather or do you throw in some fabric chairs to soften it up. I'm still trying to decide on my style. It's more traditional now, but I'm considering add a touch of french country or shabby chic. Is that possible with leather furniture.

Laurie

Comments (16)

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

We are the most boring people in the world, but all the furniture in our house is leather. We have dogs and kids, so it has always made sense to us. The other advantage for us is that I don't have to choose a fabric pattern (which I'm awful at!) We do have "varied" leather in the house though. This is our living room furniture, which is the "best" leather in the house.

This is the furniture in our TV room, which is really resilient. Anything goes on this furniture, since it is fairly "rustic".

This is my reading chair in the office. You can see it often has a furry friend.

Finally, these are some antique chairs we just got recovered, in leather too, of course. ;-)

• karezz
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of the leather furniture in my family room. It's very good quality (Classic Leather Company), however my dog tends to scratch it when she 'gets comfortable' and when she leaps off of it. I'm not very happy about that, but I guess worn leather looks just as good!

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

Here is my leather sofa. I never really wanted leather furniture before either, but my husband has a pretty serious dust mite allergy and we also have dogs and kids, so I have learned to love leather! We have a mix of leather and upholstery, though. In my LR, we have this leather sofa, a lime-green leather chair, and two upholstered chairs. In the family room next door, we have a great red leather loveseat in a more contemporary style, and an upholstered chair.

{{!gwi}}

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

msrose, to answer your question, yes, you can add upholstered pieces in the room with the leather.
    I have three upholstered chairs in my family room and a leather chair and leather sofa as well.
    My hound dog can no longer jump on my new sofa, as he's too old, :( but my grandpuppies can. :)

I love the dog pillow so much (ebay) that I bought two of them and have the other one on another chair in the room. Everytime I walk in the room and see that pillow, I think my hound made it up on the sofa. :)

This little antique chair is in the same room. We reupholstered it in the leather that we stripped off our old sofa. I like
    that I was able to reuse the leather and that it is a different color than the sofa.

Jaymiello, I love that antique chair, the one that you did in the red leather. It's sooo unique and beautiful.

Joann

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

Here is my den. The sofas are Baker Milling Rd. upgraded to Baker leather. I originally purchased them for my FR but was not happy with them there. The throw pillows are temporary until I find a better match.

{{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I have taupe color leather furniture in my family room (a sofa and recliner) that have held up so well over 10 years and my furkidz jump on and off the furniture and the furniture looks almost new still. I think it depends on the leather grade and protection on the leather. I have loved the neutral color of my furniture but now I wish I chose a richer darker red brown but maybe one day way in the future since my furniture is too comfortable and in too good of a shape to exchange it. Sorry I have no pictures for now.

• judithva
    15 years ago

I think you would be very happy with a leather sofa. I love mine, I have a Yorkie and he is always running and jumping off of mine, not a claw scratch yet. Plus since this is my only living/sitting area it gets alot of use from me, if I come in from gardening I can take a little rest on it without worrying that I am soiling the material on the couch. As you can see I did pair it up with upholstered chairs. I was trying to acheive a French Country look, it works for me anyway. (I have since purchased a rug to go under the coffee table.)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• ponydoc
    15 years ago

Jaymie...

I have been meaning to post on the other board how gorgeous your home is! It looks great. How does it feel to be in? You have done a great job with everything... including your dog!!! I am a GSP lover.... actually a sporting dog lover. I have a Gordon Setter ( my 3rd) a Welsh Springer, a Border Collie and a BC mix. GSPs are on my list...every time I work on one I want one!

It all looks great! How is it going a couple weeks in?

PD

• sundial
    15 years ago

Here is my new leather sofa and chair from Flexsteel. I think the nail head trim gives it an old world feel. The pillows on the sofa match a fabric chair and ottoman in the same room that you can't see in this picture. I have a very active Jack Russell terrier and I have had great luck with leather furniture.

{{!gwi}}

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of the back of my leather sofa -- just to show you that the kitties think it's the best spot in the house. ;-) As you can see, I've mixed leather with upholstered, wicker and wood pieces and I think it all goes together just fine.

{{!gwi}}

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

PD, Thank you so much for the compliments. I haven't posted a cohesive set of pictures because we aren't quite settled, but we are getting there and it feels wonderful to finally be in.

The GSP is DH's. He is a hunter and we've probably invested more in his education than our children. ;-) He is a little over a year and still a "puppy". Our other dog is a boxer, about 7 and my baby.

I can't believe you have 4 dogs! You are a brave soul! Lucky they have so much space to run!

Thanks again for the compliments. I'll get it together and post pictures soon! Jaymie

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Here is my leather sofa - Italian made with 8 way tied spring construction:

• uxorial
    15 years ago

Here is my sofa:

And reclining chair:

Both were purchased online from clubfurniture.com.

• ponydoc
    15 years ago

uxorial- I LOVE your slate floors and your Pendleton blanket... reminds me I have a couple I need to dig out since our move.

msrose- Here's a pic of our new leather sofa. It's a relatively inexpensive one - young children, dogs. I plan on using some floral overstuffed chairs and perhaps a mission type recliner. Excuse the "spartan" look, new house and I am going slowly and trying to only use things I really love. Rug is temp, waiting on trim carpenter to finish mantel and bookshelves to the left of fireplace. I will post a picture of the back of it too as it's interesting.

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I have really enjoyed our leather furniture. It's 8 years old and we have pets. It's held up very well.

{{!gwi}}

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the pictures! I'm still trying to decide if the leather would go with the decorating style that I'm going for. I saw these pictures that mldao posted and I love this look. Would you call this shabby chic or something else? Do you think a leather sofa would look good in a room decorated in this style? If so, would one style look any better than the other? Curved arms or straight arms?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Laurie