Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livvyandbella

looking for new sofa...

livvyandbella
9 years ago

I need to get a new sofa for our family room. I have 3 dogs, and yes, they do at times, get on the sofa. What would be the best material to get with dogs? How is leather?

Comments (16)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

You might check into something covered with Crypton. It is supposed to be pet-proof.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton covered sofa

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They'll scratch and destroy leather.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I have the Milan leather sofas from Macys and I foster dogs and they have held up beautifully. Not every leather will, however. You have to do the scratch test with your fingernail to know. If you have a 'digger' dog, i cant imagine any fabric holding up.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They aren't diggers, but of course they have nails. I will have to go to store, and take a look at the different fabric. Maybe they will have a suggestion, on what holds up the best.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

those heavy tapestry fabrics would be good.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I think the heavy tapestry fabric would be good. Thank you for suggestions!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

For exampleâ¦lol

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

We purchased a lovely set from ashley furniture that is leather . I really prefer it ! We have a bulldog (70 pounds) and a cavalier 20 pounds . The bulldog has made a few marks but nothing that is upsetting . Just normal patina ! :)
    I had microfiber and it looked dirty in spots and I became paranoid about it smelling like the dogs . Maybe it's just me but leather furniture dosnt seem to hold a smell like fabric does . I do bathe them a lot and try to keep a quilt down to prevent scratches but that dosnt stop them from being all over the couch .
    I've never had a tapestry fabric kind , but would their claws possible catch and ruin it ?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That tapestry stuff is really tough and tightly woven.

One problem with leather is that, if you want to put a blanket down to protect it, it just slides off. And sitting on them when it's hotâ¦not my cup of tea.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Sitting on them cold isn't any fun, either.

I have never heard of Crypton fabric. Anyone have any experience with it?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

We had a leather sofa that I despised, but it was the "sit" not the leather. We live in a hot, humid area and I never found the leather uncomfortable, in and of itself. Is that because our air is always conditioned? It is 68-72 year round in our house.

Have you thought of doggy socks to protect your furniture?

Here is a link that might be useful: Doggy socks

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have had many large dogs, including several Great Danes, we always buy leather furniture and have never once been disappointed with the decision. It holds up beautifully even to the Danes lounging on it. None of them ever scratched, and I keep all of their nails trimmed. I have never had a dog that damaged furniture, they were trained to behave.
    I also never had a problem with hot or cold, I mean it's inside the house not out in the sun like a car. Mine is what ever temperature the room is, comfortable. I love the natural feel and beauty of leather too.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 19:17

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I agree , my house is always cooled or a comfy temp so it isn't ever hot . Yes , my quilt slides right off ! I didn't think of that ! :) but I wouldn't go back to anything else . And I had to laugh about the doggy socks . We were going to use them too bc my husband was so afraid of scratches . But realistically it just wasn't happening ! :)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

With our three dogs, we have had two types of upholstery that hold up well: leather and ultrasuede (note: ultrasuede is not the same as microfiber). I personally prefer the ultrasuede because it's warmer than leather. I'm sitting on it right now! (American Leather is the brand I have bought. Don't be fooled by the name; they don't sell only leather.)

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone who loves their leather and their furry friends. The leather adjusts to the temperature of the room so it's always comfortable. Over 10 years I have fostered 100 rescue dogs all of which I've allowed to get on my leather sofas. No problems. I also love that I can easily wipe off dirty paw marks and drool and there is no doggie odor with leather. You do need to do the scratch test with your fingernail to make sure that the leather isn't too soft where it will leave scratch marks. You may not like the style of the Milan sofas at Macys, but they may have other sofas with similar leather that suits your taste.

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

What a sweet photo, Ravencajun