Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseykees

Painting Cabinets & Kitchen

caseykees
9 years ago

We are painting our kitchen cabinets. I don't want a white, grey or beige.

I have tried BM White Dove and BM Chantilly Lace. We just are not "white" cabinet people. LOL

I have been thinking about painting the uppers SW Icicle and the lowers SW Aleutian. Or perhaps the Aleutian on both the uppers and lowers. But I'm struggling with wall color.

I apologize for the pictures, but I just took them and it's dark out so the lighting is horrible. Also, the doors are removed.

Key Points:
1. My current doors are slab doors. I am replacing them with shaker doors from barker, along with new drawers and drawer fronts.
2. Replacing counter with new laminate. Color undecided until I figure out the paint colors. But open to most things, but hoping for darker countertop. And a new stainless steel sink and faucet.
3. Appliances are white and not getting replaced.
4. Floor is not getting replaced at this time.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much in advance,
Kathy

Comments (80)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

this is the Needlepoint Navy with Porpoise. For some reason, the Utterly Beige didn't come out on this photo.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the window/sink side with no light, but the light is still coming in from the window.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Colors aren't coming out well at all all of a sudden.

This is Needlepoint Navy and Tree Branch cabs

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 18:47

• Gracie
    9 years ago

You can also find used cabinets on Craigslist or at Habitat for Humanity. I sold my 12 year old oak kitchen for $600 on CL. You'd want to look for drawer bases and a corner cab. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Then get your new base doors/drawers as funds allow. You can put the uppers in the garage, resell them as garage cabs....

I just hate to see you stuck with that layout when new counters is the time to change the layout.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We do have a panty cabinet, on the other side of the fridge.

A little background, we don't have kids, but have 2 dogs and 3 cats. don't entertain. I just want more counterspace to work with which is why I want to move the fridge.

We took the house over from my dad when he passed 10 years ago, he owned it for about 3 years before that. Every room needs work. Everything we own was his except for our bedroom. LOL

it's a small ranch, only 1100 sq ft. Neighborhood doesn't really warrant stone countertops which is good cuz they would be out of our budget and I guess I'm not normal cuz I don't like them anyway LOL

I am more interested in making it "livable" for us then resale value. Not planning on ever moving unless I win the lottery (but I don't play it) and if that were to happen, I wouldn't care what I sold the house for. LOL

Thanks for the mockups!!! I have been trying to do that but have not had much success. I will be showing them to DH because I have to pretend he has input hahahaha!.

Kathy

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, thank you for all of this!! AND for reminding me about just buying the base paint. The sales associate did mention that to me as well as switching out sheen and base for no charge as well!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

YW, Casey.

I wonder if you can move the fridge to the corner where the closet door is now, and move the closet door further down the wall. That would not only allow you to create more counter space, but also enlarge the closet.

If you do move the fridge over there, you'll have to change the doors so they open the other way. Easy to do.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 20:25

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you are talking about the door on the left of the sink wall, that is the door to the basement, garage, side exterior door. That is going to be changed out with a 6 panel door (either paintable or wooden) when we have the window replaced. I am getting estimates for that as well because I DIY'd the bathroom door and while it is not out of my realm of things to do, it was a big pain!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Bummer. I thought it was a closet door.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It just looks like one. Early on, I tried to sand it so I could refinish it, but I want to replace all the interior doors with the 6 panel type. Unfortunately, most of my DIY stuff is all things that I try to do by myself with the help of the internet, or books. My DH is not into home improvement and doesn't help at all. I'm willing to try some things at least once. I did replace our bathroom door, but I messed it up because it didn't fit and I had to cut the bottom of it. It's crooked. LOL

I'm going to pay to have the doors replaced. LOL

I have been trying to configure lower cabinets. I am very intimidated by this! I was originally intimidated by trying to order new doors which is why I started off with two to make sure I did them right. They worked out well, so I ordered the rest of the uppers.

I am not the best user of a tape measure.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You know what they say: Measure twice, cut once.

And a level is a girl's best friend, esp. a pink one.

Go get a level if you don't already have one.

I can't keep my tape measure open long enough to take a measurement! I don't have a DH to hold the other end. I'm hoping yours will do at least that!

Love the idea of the six-panel doors. Perfect for that house and kitchen.

I try to do most stuff myself also, but I did learn from my DIY thrifty Yankee very wise father that, there are some things you really want a professional to do.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

My favorite is the Needlepoint Navy cabs and Utterly Beige walls, though the reverse is also good.

We also moved into a house that has a blue floor, and we just went with it. I have Chantilly Lace on the cabs, but we kept the doors and made the hinges hidden and changed hardware. Our counters are blue pearl granite. Eventually,the floor tile will need to come out.

Good luck!

Sorry for anyone who's seen our kitchen a million times. The fridge makes me smile every day.

Before:

After:

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your fridge is awesome!

The DH is worried about such a dark color on the cabs. I tried the Chantilly Lace. That is what the upper with the new shaker door installed is painted. The lowers are painted in White Dove. But it looks to yellow in my kitchen and they have been painted for 3 months, and they already look filthy. I guess we are slobs LOL

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What's the worry about dark cabs? Seems like the husbands connected to this site are not comfortable straying from safety zones. Meat-n-potatoes guys, I think.

The Needlepoint Navy is a perfect color with your floor. Go for it.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL He started throwing ideas at me once. His kitchen would have looked like his parents kitchen IN THE 70'S!!!! I told him we already have that!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lol. Sounds like ol' DH needs to go watch a football game while you paint the cabs! My experience is that, by and large, men don't like changeâ¦until it's happened. Then they love it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So do the Needlepoint Navy on the walls and the Utterly beige on the cabs.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Recall me mentioning if you redid your lowers with Barkers that you can order them in a medium wood stain. It's called Tamarack IIRC. Then you get the conversion varnish, a hard, baked-on finish that you can only get from cabinet shops. I think you're being a little short-sighted, but I think you might be used to working in a tight corner and having your dishes in stacks, but it doesn't have to be that way.

If you want help seeing what's possible with a layout by changing your base cabinets, the Kitchens forum will walk you through it. Several people have done entire kitchens with Barker. They have put the cabinet boxes together in 15 minutes once they got the hang of it. Check out their video.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May_flowers, I really don't want to replace the cabinets right now. My plan is to redo the whole kitchen, but I need about 5 years for that. I have tried to somewhat price out lower cabinets from Barker and they would be over $1,000. And none of the finishes "sing" to me! My little laminate counter is only temporary if need be and not that expensive. If I get 5 years of use out of it, I will be happy. Unfortunately, we have had some major things cut into my kitchen budget, like replacing the furnace, then replacing the central a/c and well, to be honest, this past winter we took our dream vacation to Florida. LOL

The stuff in the cabinets is all messed up right now! Nothing is where it usually is because of sanding and painting. Also, the insides of them are bare wood, so I am sanding them and putting poly-acrylic finish on them. Unfortunately, since June I have been working 65 hours per week, so this project has hit a stand still. But I am trying to cut back on my hours. And as soon as my new doors come, I want to get the uppers done, so I can get my new counter ordered. Ha...I am a messy painter and get paint everywhere!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Gotcha. Was worried you'd be locked in for 10 or 15 years. Did you decide if you can move the fridge now? Maybe just one new base drawer cabinet in place of the fridge before the laminate goes on? ;)

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am considering that. moving the fridge, the 3 drawer cabinet to the other wall and filling in the space. we have a habitat store, I may go see what they have. they had some white cabinets on Friday. In the picture I saw, there were cabinets that looked similar to mine next to them. I thought I might go check them out.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

And then there are two-tone kitchens

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Look at those gorgeous gray-blues a la Needlepoint Navy

How can your DH be worried about that? Too beautiful?

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

Is there a Barton's Surplus Warehouse near you? They have excellent prices on cabinets with no particleboard ( caninet backs are OSB). Good quality at a good price. You may be able to find some countertops and peel & stick tiles within your budget too. Maybe you can afford to change more than you thought. If you're having trouble picking the cabinet colors, pick a countertop to coordinatw with the floors, and choose a color from that. Sometimes elimination works best.

FWIW the Seaworthy cabinets look awesome, but the Seaworthy cabinets and Artisan tan walls are beautiful. I have those cabinets and may have to send Tibbrix a pic to do a mock up for me. It really looks nice. I think maybe your husband needs to see the color card in real life. This is way more masculine than the original colors.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Fluffeebiskits, I'd be happy to do it. You can as well, though. I just use colorjive.com, which is free. And once you figure it out, you can paint a room, and then easily switch each color w/o having to repaint.

Colors are only representative. Light colors don't work at all. As you can see, sometimes they totally fail. Look at the difference in the Needlepoint Navy in first two pics with it versus the later ones!

Here is the chip of SW Seaworthy.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix! Great color again.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

those pics are awesome tibbrix. I'm just gonna paint. I don't need his permission! LOL I just have to make it "look" like I am asking his opinion! hahahaha I may do the uppers in something like Dover White, bottoms in the Needlepoint Navy. I do like that color. The Seaworthy is a nice color, but has too much green it it I think.

I got my Kraus SS sink yesterday....SO excited about that! LOL

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Congrats on getting the sink. Kraus, huh? I'll have to look it up. I love SS sinks. Did you know that, after you chop/touch garlic and onion, all you have to do is wipe your garlicky fingers on the SS, and the smell completely goes away? Another plus to SS sinks!

I think your plan sounds beautiful. Yes, the Seaworthy has a lot of green in it. Both are beautiful colors, IMO. What color do you plan on painting the walls, esp. if you do the uppers in Dover White? Maybe come thing like SW's Utterly Beige or BM Revere Pewter? I'd go with a creamy greige.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, go for it and post picture as soon as possible. I'm seriously thinking about painting my lower cabinets a dark blue....

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I painted my lower cabinets dark gray and the uppers white earlier this year, with a white glass subway tile backsplash. Still trying to figure out what I can do with the counter. ( my budget is zero). While my painted cabinets are a big improvement over the nineties picketed oak that I had, I have now seen so many pics of identical color combos like nosoccermom just posted....I have a feeling in a short time I am going to find my kitchen- gulp- dated and trendy. You can't win!

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I tried the revere pewter and we weren't thrilled with it. then I tried BM pale oak. Which seems too light. Not quite sure what I will do yet.

I just got an email from Barker Door that my doors shipped today!!! SUPER PSYCHED now! They have to come all the way across the county, so they probably won't be here to mid next week! I took next Friday off!! LOL

And I got an email today about the SW 40% off sale. Things are coming together! I still need to order 4 doors for my lower cabinets and 4 new drawer boxes and fronts! But as long as I can get the cabinet faces painted on the bottom, our counter will be next! Saturday a friend and I are going to the Habitat Restore, and I will see if they have any cabinets that would match mine so I can move my fridge.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Are you going to try the Seaworthy?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, nosoccermom, it's to green for my kitchen. I like the color, but it would clash with my floor which is not getting replaced. my floor is greys, blues, and beige.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Sorry, I meant the Needlepoint Navy. Getting confused with all these names.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was going to try the Needlepoint Navy, but my store, and most in my area, do not carry the Pro Classic Waterbourne acrylic in the deep base.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I picked up 2 base cabinets at the Habitat Restore! They are brand new! $180 for both! Will be using the rollout for our pots and lids!!

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will be painting them to match (as soon as I decide on a color!)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. Jealous! Great get, Casey!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Thrilled for you! Will you order matching doors for those too?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep! They will get new doors! Hopefully with that and paint, they will look like they were there all the time!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Casey, don't know if this is helpful, but I got home today, and my flatware drawer had completely come apart while my tenants were here! Oops. So I'm ordering a new "box" and will just attach the old front when I get it. But I found this great Web site that sells all of that stuff for cabs. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: CAB DOOR FRONTS, ETC.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, that is where I am getting my doors from! I have 2 already, and 6 more coming on Wednesday. That will complete my upper cabinets! Then I will work on getting the doors for the lower cabinets as well as new drawers! I have figured out though that is a lot cheaper to order the Blum hinges on Amazon though! LOL

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow, Casey. That makes me feel better about ordering from them! And you're happy with the products you've gotten from them?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, they are made 20 miles from me. Superb quality and raved about in the Kitchens forum.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Great! Thanks May_flowers. Good to know.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, my first two doors were great! I only ordered 2 at first, to make sure I was ordering them correctly. They took awhile, but it's worth it and they are not that expensive. And 100% Made in America.

I heard about them on the kitchens forum. (I love that forum) LOL

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How long did they take, Casey? I'm ordering a "box", but I'm very tempted to rode all new cab and drawer fronts. My cabinets are pretty pathetic. However, the most "urgent" is the total coming apart of my silverware drawer! I can live with it. I'm just conceded that, if my house gets rentedâ¦but I can always just let them know. C'est la vie. Probably won't, any way, now that summer is over.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

One more question for those familiar with this company. Can you call them and get assistance so you don't make a big boo-boo?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It took about 3 weeks. I ordered the doors on 8/25. They say their current production time is 14-18 business days. That is about right. And then, I'm the east coast so it's about 5 days shipping.

I am sure you can call them regarding ordering. Also, they have videos and instructions on their website as well. I used those too.

I need a new silverware drawer as well. That is what started the whole "new door" thing. LOL I have not ordered that yet though. I want to get the upper cabinets done so I can get my new countertop.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Chad Barker is very responsive and helpful.

There's another door/cabinet company in PA called Conestoga, sold through The Cabinet Joint. Conestoga makes doors and drawer fronts for some of the high end cab companies like Plain and Fancy. I'm checking them out for RTA beaded inset cabinets for my bathroom. Barkers doesn't make inset cabs.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz