Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Will you tell me about furniture rental?

deegw
11 years ago

We are going to have a house full of guests at the end of October and I have been frantically searching for the perfect couches for our empty living room. I realize that unless I find floor samples I am basically out of time to order something from most companies. Crate and Barrel and some Lee couches supposedly take 3 weeks but I know that isn't guaranteed.

It just dawned on me that if we rent some couches for the event then I could take my time searching for furniture and wouldn't lie awake at night worrying if the couches would be delivered in time.

Would it be worth my time to call a rental place or is it a crazy idea?

Comments (6)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I don't know anything about furniture rental, but I think it's a great idea to look into. Far better than rushing to buy and then regretting the purchase.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

I think it's a great idea. And If the style of the rental sofas isn't to your liking, maybe you can find a home stager in your area who could help.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

I think it's a great idea. And If the style of the rental sofas isn't to your liking, maybe you can find a home stager in your area who could help.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Call. A 1-month rental for a couple of couches might be worth it if it gives you time to shop.

Also, check out the places that re-sell hotel furniture when hotels remodel. (most largish cities have one) They don't rent, but they have decent couches and armchairs for cheap.

And keep looking at craigslist.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I looked into renting furniture when we were staging our last home to sell. We had two yellow damask sofas in our LR and I thought it would show better with something less old ladyish and also with one sofa and two chairs.

Maybe it is different on the West Coast, where all those shows are filmed, but the selection here (NYC burbs) was awful. Ugly, bachelor, relocated-mid-level-executive is how I'd describe the offerings. And none too cheap.

The only thing I ended up renting was a round table for our entry hall (we used to have a sofa in the entry hall, but round tables show off the expanse better i was told). I rented it from a local antiques dealer, fwiw, but I don't imagine antique places have a lot of sofas.

• User
    11 years ago

I don't know anything about renting furniture - but I would second the recommendation to check out craigslist. There are many a decent-enough sofa on there to be had for next to nothing. You could scrub the heck out of it and then cover it with an inexpensive white slipcover or even white yards of fabric, maybe for the same price as renting.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022