Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alermar_gw

Is there a solution to this design "problem"

alermar
9 years ago

I hate to suggest that this is a "problem" because I feel so fortunate to be renovating a house that will give me such a beautiful kitchen area, but . . .
The house is a major renovation -- gutting everything but exterior walls must stay. Style is modern but with some eclectic elements. This is the plan, although the appliances in the kitchen have been moved.

I would love to have a sliding door that I could use to separate the kitchen from the dining room, but that won't work with the wrap-around bar. Is there a way to eliminate the wrap-around part of the counter, use that wall for a slider, and then have some kind of "pop up" counter that can be raised when we want a "real" bar? The slider has to be inside the wall because we need the wall space on the living room side of the bar for a large painting. Is there some kind of creative solution, or is this one of the trade-offs I need to make

Comments (14)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I can't see your picture very well on my phone, but would it be possible to do a pair of pocket doors? That what we will have between our kitchen/dining and sunroom. It's just framed out right now, but I can tell I'm going to like it! Ours are going to have seeded glass panels, so they will provide a buffer zone without making anyone feel completely cut off.

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 6:22

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

What is your thinking process for why you would like to separate the 2 spaces? Maybe that insight can help us think of ideas for your space.

What I mean is, are you concerned about kitchen odors in the main area of the house?, are you wanting the other area to ~f e e l~ more separate and intact as space?, Do you want to be able to cook and then walk away from the mess for a while without it staring you in the face?, Do you want to separate noise from the rest of the house (maybe kids or a husband watching loud TV) from you in the kitchen (maybe you listening to loud music)?, are you wanting a less open feeling because it makes you "feel" less sheltered and cozy?

I can recommend a book by Sarah Susanka, who is an architect, called "The Not So Big House". I think you would find the answer to your problems in it, it would help you with the insight to understand why this truly bothers you so you can fix it.

So to add to my long list of questions, I am really asking if you need a visual change, an acoustic change, a air quality change, or a physical change to get the space to feel right to you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm not sure why you'd want to close off the kitchen...looks to me like this is a great party space and people will want to mill freely around. (Is that double appliances I see?)

IAC, I can't see a pop up thing that would be durable enough...In the old days when we had formica counters, we did have a spring-loaded counter section that would fold down flat against the wall when we didn't need it and we could pull it up and lock it in when we wanted it. But I doubt that would work with something heavy like a stone counter.

Another alternative would be to eliminate the wrap around part of the bar and just have something to close up the doorway...be it sliding vertical panels, fabric, folding door or screen...it's too bad that accordion doors aren't attractive because I've always thought them functional.

The accordion door guys also make roll up doors like a roll top desk...maybe that might spark some solution?

• alermar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks -- I'll look more closely at the responses after work. Just to clarify in response to some (great) questions:
    We will be empty nesters -- no kids to worry about. Not too worried about noise (TV is in "family" room on far side of house -- really more like a media room). I don't mind odors (I'm a good cook -- smells yummy lol). Mostly, I was looking for a way to section off the kitchen because in our current house everyone always ends up in the kitchen/family room (attached) and no one in the living room (just on the otherside of the kitchen separated by a wall and arched opening (typical of builder-designed houses in the mid/late 90s). I don't want the kitchen completely separated from the LR for daily use, but I was thinking that it might be nice to close it off for parties.
    We can't do double sliders because there is an existing glass wall on opposite the bar.

• Jules
    9 years ago

I understand your desire to close off the kitchen for parties. I had that same desire in two previous houses. How formal are the parties? I ask because as much as we might try to fight guests congregating in the kitchen, I find it inevitably happens except for the most formal parties where servers are present and the hosts stay planted in the living/dining rooms with their guests.

Two weeks ago I attended a semi-formal function at an estate with several lavishly decorated round dining tables set up in the dining room and living room, yet guests still flocked to the kitchen island when the pocket doors were opened.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Maybe someone will have some creative ideas for what you're asking, but I'm thinking that the reason everyone ends up in the kitchen area for parties is because the host and/or the food is there. If you aren't in the kitchen, people don't really just hang out there do they? I think when you are entertaining, it would be really awkward to be going back to the kitchen for things and closing a sliding door behind you to keep people from following you.

Many older homes had swinging doors to the kitchen. Is there any way that might work? Perhaps it could swing onto that short wall perpendicular to the windows and be configured to stay open when you aren't entertaining.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Los Angeles Interior Designers & Decorators Bonnie Sachs, ASID

Houzz has lots of kitchen swinging doors to kitchens

• chispa
    9 years ago

I have given up trying to keep people out of the kitchen. I hosted one of those progressive dinners once and hosted the dessert part, so around 80 people. You would think that the dining room and family room had crime tape around them, because all those people tried to stay in the kitchen!

I have gotten a bit wiser about how to set up food and drinks, but people still end up in the kitchen!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Could you "split" the bar to accommodate the pocket door? It would still be there when the door is cloud. When you open the door, if you cut the countertop just right, you could put the cut piece back in. If it were Formica, you could hinge the filler piece, but I guess you couldn't do that with granite.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

File this under "so crazy it just might work": what if you did a contemporary take on the old-fashioned tavern door?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think the kitchen needs to be accessible during a party because that's when most of the food, drink, refreshments and so on are going back and forth. Doors or other obstructions in the way will lead to spilled drinks for sure. I think the only way to keep people out of the kitchen is once it's full of people, they'll have to go elsewhere!

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Just my opinion here, so feel free to ignore. It's that big picture stuff.

I feel that if the given layout works, in actuality, for you and your family 99% of the time, then that is good enough.

Giving up a satisfying flow that is optimal for your day to day, for a few hours a year when you entertain, to me is not how I would prioritize my living space.

Now if you don't feel it is the best layout for day to day, for some of the reasons stated in earlier posts, then of course see what changes make sense.

And again, The Not So Big House book will really help clarify this well.

And if you want to signal to guests during parties to stay out of the kitchen, then only have a few candles burning there, but keep the lights off. That will emotionally say keep out.

• alermar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I guess in the end, there's no perfect solution. juliekcmo is right, the design works for me 90% of the time, and ultimately, I suppose chispa is right too, unless i do a traditional closed kitchen, the guests will end up there anyway. Originally the plan called for a swinging door because my architect intended the kitchen to be completely closed off (neither he or his wife cook == they use caterers :)
    At my insistence, we swapped that for a larger opening with a slider.
    Then DH decided he wanted the bar with the wrap-around counter, so no more slider. All compromises that will work for us most of the time.
    Thank you for the creative suggestions. I think in the end, all of your comments made me feel better about what I have planned (again, the kitchen layout pictured has changed). PLEASE pray for plans to be approved so I can stop 2nd guessing lol
    As someone who appreciates great vision and creativity (but is fairly lacking in that area), I truly thank you all for your suggestions and all of the other interesting discussion on this board. This is fun :)

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Alemar, I can't see your placement of appliances well enough to make Kitchen suggestions, but I really think you should post a layout with measurements on the kitchen forum and try to move your cook top off The island. I also think there's room for improvement in your work triangle, but again, I can't really see you fridge placement. Three sinks? Need a better picture to help. Architects are not kitchen designers (and neither am I) so gw feedback from kitchen forum before you move forward is always helpful. Good luck!

• alermar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you dilly_ny -- I mentioned in the comments above, although probably not clearly enough, that the kitchen plan has been substantially revised (with wonderful help from the kitchen forum :)
    My architect is a good friend and he designed the original kitchen. I think he's brilliant (he's a good friend), but neither he nor his wife cooks, so we changed almost everything lol