Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anita_g_gw

Help me decide my breakfast nook table for 8 ft by 9 ft space

anita_g
15 years ago

Hi,

Help me! My head hurts. I need to close this before the baby arrives which could be anytime now.

I have a 8 ft by 9 ft breakfast nook. We are a family of 3 going on 4 with this one and with grandparents visiting for extended weekends frequently 6 people at the table. I would like to get a 4 seater which expands to a 6 or 8 seater. The only table I have liked so far is this one of 4 ft by 3 ft (i.e.48'' x 36'').

Please copy and paste this link to your browser for a view of the table

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z237/vicky_23_photos/?action=view&current=Lovethelookofthetable--canaddpadded.jpg

I love this table. I wish it had a butterfly leaf to expand to sit 6 instead of just 4. I am thinking the baby will be in a high chair for a while, so that might be not so bad.....But 6 ppl can probably sit with perhaps a bench (which could sit 1 adult + 2 kids???).

This table is 425/- I have seen that tables/4 chair sets with leaf go for $600-700 and leaf tables plus 6 chairs go for $700-900/- On top of that my DH would prefer a counter-height table, so for him getting a regular height table is anyways a compromise. He just doesn't care what kind of table I get right now because in 2 years he is going to change it. We have a kitchen island too so 3-4 ppl can have their meals there too.

I have also taken some pictures of the kitchen nook with masking tape marking how much space the table will take. There are couple with 4 by 3 table (horizontally and vertically), there's one with 5 ft by 3 ft table and there's one with a 42'' or 3.5 ft square. i took this one to visualize how much space a round table will take, I didn't know how to make a circle with a masking tape.

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z237/vicky_23_photos/breakfast%20nook%20dimensions/

Pros of the table I like:

--I love the look

--The space would look roomy

Cons

--Not enough support for a growing family, may have to get another one in couple of years.

--If company comes (as in friends), dinner would HAVE to be served buffet-style; no sit-down dinner.

--Concerned that the kids may hurt themselves on the table legs

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (18)

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I think you will regret not going with a longer table that will sit 2 more.
    I would not go with a high bar size table. They are very uncomfortable for children and older people.
    I saw this one at Target and thought that you might like it. It is 60 inches long.
    629.00 free shipping and 15% off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• graywings123
    15 years ago

On top of that my DH would prefer a counter-height table . . . He just doesn't care what kind of table I get right now because in 2 years he is going to change it.

Just curious, but why is your husband going to change your table in two years?

Don't go with a counter hight table. IMO, they are an impractical fad that can't be gone fast enough. The very young, the very old, and the very short are uncomfortable. And you can't just add an extra folding chair in a pinch.

If you like that 4 seater and the price is right for you, you could keep a card table handy and pull it out when the grandparents come and have a kids table. Other than that, keep looking; a six seater shouldn't be that hard to come across.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

We had similar problem and I felt it came down to the chairs. Many tables on the market had very bulky chairs. If a round table will work for your space, I think you will be very happy with it. For us, it would not work as we need to keep it narrow due to an adjacent sliding door. We were lucky enough to find a very sleek one at JCP for around $400 with a butterfly leaf. We can seat 6 for day-to-day and with the leaf we can seat 8. We are family of 5 (two teenagers and frequently will have one of the grandma's come to visit for extended periods). I have a small bench ottoman that I pull up to the table when I want to seat 8--kids love it.

Coincidentally, this table also comes in counter height, though I would not recommend counter height with kids.

• anita_g
    Original Author
    15 years ago

valinsv,

I love your table too. Which is this one?
    I have a sliding door going to the backyard too. I think a 42'' round may work in my space, but I think having a pedestal makes it look bulky in that space.

Please take a look at the link below to see my space.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen space with masking tape

• anita_g
    Original Author
    15 years ago

graywings,

I totally agree with you on the counter-height tables. I think they are uncomfortable for little kids and older ppl.

My husband is tall and thinks that higher tables are more comfortable.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Anita: I forgot to post my measurements which are 36x54. Generally speaking you will need a minimum of 36" from the table to each wall--ideal is closer to 48" by the National Kitchen & Bath standards. That is not always possible and of course a greater issue when planning around built-in furniture than free-standing, but the clearances are a good measure in any case. I can't quite tell where there is open space around the nook and certainly you can borrow from that space for your clearances. In fact, that is what I've done. My clearance borrows from the adjacent family room (when we pull chairs out and one person goes around another diner) as it's all open--but there is no way this table would fit if there was a wall separating the two rooms. I've always had to work with small spaces for our kitchen table and have found a rectangular table to be the most efficient use of space. It can always be scooted against a wall too and chairs arranged around the other three sides which might be a good solution for you on an everyday basis--esp. when you also have a high chair in the room--and then pull it out and put the extra chairs around when the grandparents come to dinner. It may be a bit snug, but you're all family and sometimes you jsts need to make best use of the space you have.

The type of chair you choose will also have an impact since some cannot scoot fully under the table so do take into account not only the table dimensions but how it works with the chairs.

What I would suggest is to try to mock up the space with some cardboard boxes and see how the clearances feel to you.

I tried to find my table online but could not find it. We bought in the store last year which has different items than catalog. I've since seen it in the store up until about 6 months ago (haven't checked since then) so there is a good change it will still be there if you like it. Mine has the butterfly leaf, though a friend of mine bought a similar table (from IKEA) where the leaf is stored under the table length-wise which looks like it may work better for you.

If you cannot find this exact one I've seen similar tables at Scandinavian Designs--a store that specializes in more modern, streamlined furniture for smaller spaces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scandinavian Designs

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

This is the table like what my friend has that I think would work well in your space. She also has a small nook that is open on one end. When she entertains, she is able to extend it out into the adjacent room--as it stays narrow.

She bought hers about 6 years ago for less at IKEA. I searched all over for it when I was shopping for mine, but it's no longer there though I found this similar (and more $$) at Scandinavian Designs. I debated between this table and the one we bought. For us, the butterfly leaf works better to extend in a big square (54x54) on the occasions that we need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alfa Dining Table

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Do you own or rent? The reason I ask is that your space looks ideally situated for banquette. Is that an option? {{!gwi}}

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Anita, A 9 foot space is small, I have a 9" wide breakfast nook as well, that's how I know it's small.
    I have had many tables and chairs through the years, as well as a bench in the window.
    We currently have a 46" octagon top with 4 chairs and 2 small chairs chairs off to the side. I can pull the small side chairs and sit 6 at this table. We purposely have the two small chairs so that when my kids 'drop in' with their kids I can seat everyone without setting up the dining room.
    In you photo layouts you're not allowing for the chairs that will stick out somewhat. You have to consider that in our mockup.
    I can show you photos if your interested.
    Counter top tables and chars are uncomfortable for older folks.
    Joann

• anita_g
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cliff_and_joann,

I would love to see your space, if you don't mind. I was thinking I could get the 4' by 3' table for us 4 (see picture) and have a bench ottoman for times when 6 are at the table.

• Cynthia A
    15 years ago

I don't have that measurement for my breakfast nook which I wish I do. If I were you, I'll get a square table seated 8 ppl. I have a friend who has one and she is a family of 6. Meantime, you'll have more space for a high chair and a buffet.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• anita_g
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cliff_and_joann,

I would love to see your space, if you don't mind. I was thinking I could get the 4' by 3' table for us 4 (see picture) and have a bench ottoman for times when 6 are at the table.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Anita, I think the set you like is beautiful. However, consider this, legs like that table has will not allow for extra chairs. If the same table was a pedestal table you could get 2 chairs down each side.
    I had a Wicker table with a 48" glass top before this table and I had six chairs.
    I now have a 46" octagon table with 4 big chairs and two smaller chairs with low backs. Don't let those small chairs deceive you, they are full size chairs the seats are as high as the ladder back chairs, just the back is smaller. I can get chairs 6 around this table and have squeezed 8 around it in a pinch.

I think 4 x 3 would work well, but like I suggested watch the table legs, they can hinder the amount of chairs you can use. I also had a bench at one time (inside the bay window) we were a family of 5 when our kids were growing up, so we had 3 chairs and a bench.

This nook measures 9 foot 1" wide from the counter (with the bananas on it) to the end of the wall. . .The bay window is 8Ft wide.

I took this tonight after I measured... from the center of the bay window to the end of the first glass pane on the french door the measurement is 8 ft.

Also notice that the chairs are not huge and they fit under the table well. ( they can go in even further than the photo shows) This allows more walking around room when the table is not in use.
    I am a very visual person and use a lot of visual aids when doing or building furniture. I suggest you take your current table and add a faux top with wood, or cardboard or anything that would mock up the size table you want in the room, add the chairs and see what it looks like.
    Also consider a 42" round table (pedestal) with a leaf. It would give you a lot more room for everyday use for 4 people and when the grandparents come put in the leaf.
    We made this table 48" and when it was all done and we put the chairs around it I saw that if it was a tad smaller the chairs would fit under neath better so we cut it down to 46". Every little bit helps in a small area.

Hope this helps.
    joann

• anita_g
    Original Author
    15 years ago

valinsv,
    We own the home, so certainly we can consider a banquette. However the only wall is the one seen in the picture, one side is the kitchen, another side opens to the living room and the other side has a sliding door to the backyard.

So I was thinking I could get the 4' by 3' table for us 4 and have a bench ottoman like you for times when 6 are at the table.

For me, internet is good for ideas but I like to see and feel the item before buying it. I wish it were just easy to get the table, see if it works or not and if need be return it but it's such a big item requiring assembly time and a drive of an hour 1 way (so 2 hours drive time ) to get the table.

Ikea seems like a nice option with the leaves and everything but I am so in love with that finish can't get it out of my head. I wish it were easy to return incase it didn't work in my space.

Discussing this is helping me so much in resolving this issue.

• anita_g
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joann,
    Wow! It's beautiful,beautiful! I love everything about it! The style, the finish, the chairs! It works so well in your space. Did you make it yourself?
    Those small chairs do look deceiving!
    I love the table that I had posted about; can't get it out of my head! But I am going to go look at Scandavian furniture and a local furniture store to see if they can perhaps get me a table like that with a butterfly leaf and paint it that finish.

We have been eating at the kitchen island which is not very conducive to conversation with grandparents :( We are out of a table because the last table I had was a 6 seater rectangle. So it was looking very cluttered in that space and also our toddler needed to run around the house and I was concerned she would bump her head and hurt herself. By the way she still loves to run from one end of the house to the other end!

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Yes anita, we made the table top, the base is wrought iron. We made the chairs as well, copying a chair I bought at a yard sale for 3.00.

I looked at your space again and see that your room opens into the living room. That is a good thing because you're not restricted to 4 walls (like I am)

The table and chairs you love is beautiful, just make sure you keep the legs in mind, and you'll be able to get 6 chairs around it.
    Good luck, Joann

• metromom
    15 years ago

Our eating area is the same size and we have a 54x36 table that works perfectly for our family of 5. I would not recommend counter height for kids -- you'll want them to be able to sit at the table and color while you make dinner etc, and it's a lot easier if they can get in and out of the chairs themselves. The only photo I have is from further away, but here is what a 54x36 table looks like in a space that's 8.5' by 8.5'. We usually keep 6 chairs around it, not sure why there are only 4 in this photo

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm