Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Look what we did today! (Hovel Thread progress)

We've moved from the kitchen next door to our dining room. I'm painting this weekend (no pics just yet).

In the meantime, I finally decided to try Restor-a-finish on my sad little 1940s buffet. It was in pretty terrible shape, having been abused horribly (must have something to do with the price, right ;D), so I wasn't expecting much. But goodness, it's suddenly gorgeous.

This photo doesn't do it justice. After I used the Restor-A-Finish, I smeared on a thick layer of their Feed-n-Wax, which I wiped off after 20 minutes per the instructions. Every time I walk by that buffet, it looks better than the last. Bubbles and cracks in the finish have disappeared, the many nicks, scratches and gouges are all but gone, the legs look nearly new.

I'm inspired enough to go get other colors to renew some of my other pieces.

Comments (28)

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Gorgeous Dahling, just gorgeous!

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

That's beautiful. I'm excited for you.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Lovely! I wish you had some "before" pictures.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Holy smokes that's a gorgeous piece! I wish there was a 'before' picture. Was the graining visible when you bought it?

• denali2007
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful. It's inspiring me to fix some pieces here.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

I have GOT to get some of that stuff. I read about it here and on the HGTV boards, but it's hard to find here in Maine. I finally found an Aubuchon Hardware store that carries it.

This picture is worth a thousand words! Like the others, I'd love to see a 'before' if you have one.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Great Job! Beautiful piece.

How did you apply the restorafinish?

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

It looks great! That Restor-a-finish is some wonderful stuff! I always keep some on hand, it makes anything look beautiful!

Glad to see your progress pictures, and know you are liking your results. Great job!

Susan

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Wow!!!! That buffet is absolutely gorgeous! I have an old mahogany dining table with an aged, scratched and dull finish on it. Do you think this product would work to help restore it, or would I need to remove the old finish and restain? I'd love to get it looking good again.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone. This morning it looked like the wood must have soaked up more of the wax, and there are still a few dull spots in the finish showing up, so I'm going to try buffing it out with the Restor-A-Shine polishing cream today.

Since you asked, here's a before-and-after. Unfortunately, I have kept a batik runner on top of the buffet for years to cover up the ugly mess, so you can't see the worst part, but you can get a good idea of the dings, etc, and the worn handles:

Before:

After:

• User
    15 years ago

WOW...I bought it in several colors and am amazed at how great a job it does. I used the 0000 steel wool and a pretty heavy hand. Then used a different brand of honey wood feeling stuff that I have in the house. It is woncderful stuff . GREEAT JOB SARA !! c

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

sarschlos: That looks wonderful. You are really making progress, step by step. Could you please provide more information about the feed-n-wax? I want to refinish the end tables I bought a few weeks ago and there are some scratches on the top, also some cracking of the finish. Do you think this process could work for me instead of doing the whole sanding and refinishing route? Perhaps in colbinatine with the steel wood that trailrunner mentions?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's what I did:

I used the walnut Howard's Restor-A-Finish with 0000 steel wool (super fine), on small areas at a time, rubbing with the grain, and wiping down with a soft cloth immediately.

When I was done with that (since you wipe down the Restor-A-Finish right away, there's no wait time for the wax), I soaked a cloth in the wax (and resoaked -- I smeared about 1/3 of a bottle of the wax on that thing) and smeared it everywhere. The wax does not require you to move with the grain, but I did on general principle. Let that sit for approx. 20-30 minutes, then wipe off with a soft cloth.

This morning, I used the Restor-A-Shine burnishing cream to restore the shine to the areas that were a bit dull from the steel wool. Wipe on in generous amounts in circles. Allow to dry to a dull haze, then buff off with a soft, dry towel, again in circles. I might do a final step of their orange cream if I think it needs it. Their products work so well together (and are designed to be a step-by-step process), so I stuck with their products. Very happy with the results.

They have a brochure that acts as a guide to which color you should choose.

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

That looks great. I don't think it looked too bad before, but I know the top always looks the worst. How hard was it to do?

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

That is impressive and inspiring! Especially with all the other major projects you are tackeling! Beautiful results! Are Howard and Formby's products different? The Howard label reminded me of Formby's and made me wonder.

• User
    15 years ago

I now realize the error of my ways. I am glad I checked back as I now realize I need to get the Restore a Shine. There are dull areas and I didn't know what to do about those...duh...read the directions...c

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

WOW is that one gorgeous piece of furniture! They just don't make things like they used to.

• nanmeade
    15 years ago

I am really impressed. Great job!!! I love that piece. I will be heading off to the store to buy Restor-A-Finish. :)

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I have used it on several pieces. I am in Lo-ve with the stuff.
    Your buffet is gorgeous!

• marymarymaryk
    15 years ago

OP, I am so glad that you posted! I was just thinking of your "hovel" thread and wondering how you were doing with it. I even tried to search for it, to see if there were updates that I had missed, but couldn't find it.

The buffet looks awesome.

• mldao
    15 years ago

Sarchlos: Your buffet looks stunning! I discovered Restor-A-Finish for the first time this year and I'm hooked. I'm constantly recommending it to people. I didn't know they made Restor-A-Shine?!? I feel like I've been living in a cave (paint/hell cave) LOL. I'm going out tomorrow and asking my local Ace Hardware where is the Restor-A-Shine stuff. I thought I had to live with a dull finish. Thanks for enlightening me and once more your buffet is beautiful.

I'm so glad to see you're making progress and you don't seem so despondent. Happy improvements!!

Sincerely from your So. Cal (orange County) GW friend, Ann.

BTW, I need to know your DH's secret to getting the Wii Fit. I've been trying to buy it for the last month and still nothing!!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Thanks for listing the steps. Now I know what products to buy when I get around to working on my tables.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann -- DH pre-ordered the Wii Fit from Amazon before it was released.

Val -- you're very welcome. It is a fairly simple process and does not take a lot of time for a piece that is in decent shape. I think I spent about 3 hrs total so far -- I'm going to add the orange cream just for overkill :)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Wow, fantastic! Beautiful buffet!

• phyl345
    15 years ago

is this a product you buy in hardware stores? ~~ in paint stores? ~~ big box stores? ~~

• blue_velvet_elvis
    15 years ago

I want to know where to get it too! That's great :~)

• cattknap
    15 years ago

Most antique stores carry Howard's products including Restor-a-finish

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We got ours at our local Ace Hardware, which also carries BM products. Ace Hardwares are individually owned, so they carry different products.