Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Visiting maagazine's showcase home?

marvelousmarvin
9 years ago

Has anybody ever gone to a magazine's showcase home? What was your experience like?

I'm debating whether or not I should go to see Coastal Living's 2014 Showcase Home because this is the first time they've built one close enough to visit. But, even then, it'll still take a couple hours drive to get there.

And, if the magazine is going to publish pictures of their showcase home later on in the year, how much more did you gain from seeing the home in person vs seeing pictures of it in the magazine?

What's the difference between one of those showcase homes vs going to an staged open house for a home that you can't afford? At least, with the open house, i don't have to buy a ticket.

Comments (10)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think it's fun to go to the actual showhouse...you see a lot more than just what they fit in a few pictures, and you get a real sense of the feel of the space...what it's like to be in the room rather than just looking at it. You can also notice small things that don't make it into the pictures that can give you ideas...of what to do and what not to do. And you get to enjoy the landscape far more...the difference between going to the beach vs. seeing a picture of the beach.

• User
    9 years ago

If it makes any difference, the ticket money almost always goes to a charity.

I've been to several magazine open houses, all in Georgia or Florida. My favorite was in Rosemary Beach and I think it was a Coastal Living house. The experience is much better than the photos! You can also pick up brochures from many of the suppliers and subcontractors who contributed to or worked on the house.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I second everything said above. I've been to a couple by Southern Living and by Southern Accents (boy! do I miss Southern Accents). Reality is much better than seeing it in photographs.

Southern Living is planning a show house 3 hours from where I live. I'm following it because I plan to go see it when it is completed.

I think a big difference between a show house and a house staged for sale is the decorators will take more chances in a show house. A staged house is going to be pretty vanilla and appeal to the broadest range of tastes. Plus, in a show house, generally there are brochures detailing sources for many of the items.

On my bucket list is a trip to see the Kips Bay Decorator Show House!

Get a couple of friends and GO! You'll enjoy it.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Don't go during the first few days or the last few days that the show house is open . I would also go during the week to avoid crowds.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Don't go during the first few days or the last few days that the show house is open . I would also go during the week to avoid crowds.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I've been to 3 Southern Living homes. One in Clemson, SC, one in Savannah, GA and the last at Brookgreen Gardens at Murrells Inlet, South Carolina. I am so glad that I did!

Afterwards, I looked back at the magazines and online photos, and was able to visualize what the houses were like in person. :) Well worth the ticket cost!

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 15:09

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

BBStx,

You should go to the next one; IIRC they are always in May and its such a nice time in NYC.

I think I have been to all of them in the last 10yrs. They are fun, some years better than others.

We should have GW get together at Kips Bay!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

OH! A GW day at Kips Bay. Sounds heavenly. Let's keep it in mind, and maybe next May we can all get together.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

GW get together at kips bay? Sounds mahvelous dahlinks!

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How much input and control do the magazines have on their idea houses?

I know the magazine chooses the architect, interior designer, etc.. But, after choosing those professionals, do the magazines leave those professionals alone and let them follow their vision? Or, do the magazines set down a certain vision that they want those professionals to follow?