Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txbluebonnet11

Hand Forged Wrought Iron Entry Doors - Opinions or Experiences?

TXBluebonnet11
10 years ago

We are in the process of a major home remodel and we are considering Cantera cast iron double entry doors. I am hoping that there are others who could share their experience with wrought iron doors. Have they worn well? Was rust a problem? Are there any other manufacturers to avoid or that you would recommend? What should I look for in a wrought iron door?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cantera Wrought Iron Doors

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 3:34

Comments (25)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

When I replaced the exteriors on our second home I used a wrought iron door and we are considering another one when we replace the door on our main home in a year or so. I don' have trouble with rust but our porch is very protected on that home. I chose the door from a catalog that the contractor gave me so I have no idea of the manufacturer.

When I was at Lowe's several months ago I saw a decent Pella wrought iron door. I will be watching this post to see what there's may recommend.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I know someone who makes fabulous, high end doors in my area--the kind I cannot afford. I have no idea if they do work outside of El Paso, but I put a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic Entryways

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The Cantera doors are stunning!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Just one question~how hot will they get in our TX heat? If you personally don't use your front door(s) I guess it doesn't matter, but what about someone coming to visit and accidentally touching them, ouch!

I have a wrought iron grill over a stained door, which doesn't seem to get too hot, but steel definitely heats up. Just something i personally woud have to consider.

• sweeby
    10 years ago

Do check your homeowners' association first, if you have one. A friend had to remove hers because the HOA said they were 'burglar bars'! Can you believe? Yes, gorgeous Cantera doors.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

is Cantera, as used here, a brand name? Because "cantera" to me, is a type of limestone from Mexico, and I don't see that in the pic (confused)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Lovely, and unless they are in a salt or drizzly environment, rust is not much of a problkem.

Make sure they are shaded, or keep a burn kit handy.

They do set expectations for what's behind them ... will the rest of the house match up?

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I can tell you that the iron itself doesn't heat up as much as you think it will - not like steel would. I think an overhang or awning is always a good idea for an entryway, anyway

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of the responses so far. Cantara is just one brand that makes the wrought iron doors and pieces. I believe they are imported from Mexico and there are many other companies that make them. Cantara seems to be the most prominent, but I don't know if they are the best or not.

Lazygarden: What would the burn kit do? How do you use it?

Our front porch is covered so that will help. I did find one complaint online where someone had bought a door and had an issue with the paint. So this might be a potential concern. I am more concerned about the matching garage door we are considering. It will be very open and exposed to the elements but I just LOVE the look. I'm tempted to risk it, but it would be an expensive gamble. I can't seem to find anyone who has had one who can give me an opinion. I am hoping that others will chime in. Here's a picture of one of their garage doors:

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Doors

• awm03
    10 years ago

The door is gorgeous. I've never seen iron on garage doors before, but, holy cow that is a beautiful look...

If you get both entry door iron & garage door iron, please post pictures!

• dsaj
    10 years ago

This might be a little late coming, but we bought a Cantera door for our courtyard three years ago. It's shielded fairly well from the elements with an overhang. It's beautiful and well-made, with the exception that I just noticed some rust on the trim work that is welded to the bottom panel of the door. We have the touch-up kit, so I suppose we can spray a rust-kill on it and repaint, but I'm disappointed that we have to do that so soon after having paid so much for this door.

• jrcooper
    10 years ago

As per dsaj, this also might be a little late coming, but I thought I'd mention that we went with an online dealer this past summer (mentioned below) who sold in-stock doors as opposed to custom. They were a little pricey, and we did have to find a 3rd party installer on our own, but overall I'd say we're satisfied.

Again, we only got ours in the summer, so as time passes we'll know more, but we've been told that rusting won't be an issue at all (although I have my reservations). The main thing we were looking for was something that fit our color palette (we went with pewter) and fit our dimensions (we needed a 61" x 94" frame, which unfortunately for us, most stock manufacturers don't do these dimensions).

Here is a link that might be useful: www.irondoors.com

• abick2
    8 years ago

jrcooper how is your door holding up? Looks like i got my door from the same guy as you. It has been a total nightmare for me. He sent me the door 7 months later without glass and the door came damaged not sure if it was his fault. There is also a gap between bottom of the door and the frame, so I bought a door shoe. The frame was all out of wack. The paint was scratched, but I had to install it because I had no other options. The door was not powder coated,so the paint scratches easily. Have you had problems with rust and insulation? A friend of mine has a similar door and said she had ice on the inside during cold winter days.

• James Russo
    8 years ago

You should avoid cantera doors. They quality of the doors may look great, but after just a year or so, the paint will start peeling and the door will rust. Cantera will then accuse you of not "maintaining" the door and refuse to help you at all. I've posted some pictures on Houzz shoing our door after just a few years. It's also under a covered area, so not exposed to any kind of rain.

• abick2
    8 years ago

Are you replacing your door with something else?

• James Russo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not until they completely rust through, and they will. They are already beginning to rust. Even on the inside where they were not exposed to any of the elements. I'll have to take some more pictures where the paint has been coming off the steel in large clumps. You should avoid this company at all costs. Doors made in China would likely be better quality then these.

• Excelsior Grand
    6 years ago

I have Cantera wrought iron entry doors. They are rusting after 2 years! Called the company a few times no one called back.

Do not recommend ! I agree with James. Stick to a USA company.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

I have these doors and love them. Recently I noticed that one of them has chipped a little. The previous owner of this house had them put in about 10 years ago.

• Moe
    5 years ago

just built a brand new house and installed an iron door that looks beautiful but is been a nightmare from day one in the winter the door has so much condensation on the inside that it literally drips all over the floor . I have to keep a fan on it to contain the sweat ... Anyone else has these problems ?

• abick2
    5 years ago

Yes! Welcome to the club. The door is a nightmare. When I see homes being build with these doors I almost want to run in and tell people to change the door before it’s too late. Looks good from the street, but a total disaster. Mine gets so hot in the summer, I laugh about it and tell people I grill on it. I had rust stains after only a few years, had to repaint. Get condensation in the winter, but i seal from the inside on super cold days - it helps. Actually in the process of buying some weather proofing for the door now and hope it might help Some more. Good luck!

• Erika
    11 months ago

I just came across this thread. I have an iron door and I’m considering refinishing due to blemishes but it’s been difficult to find someone with expertise. Alla Bekkerman, who did you use to repaint your door?

• A Bekk
    11 months ago

I just usedsomeone who pained my home. i think the key was good paint from Home Depot. I really like how it came out. i can send you a picture. post a pic of your door.

• Erika
    11 months ago

Here is my door. It was touched up in a few spots that I’m not happy with. Would love to see how your door came out with the repainting. Thank you!

• Erika
    10 months ago

@A Bekk would love to see a pic of your door to see how it came out. Ty!