Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mallorygins

Curb appeal, change style from desert to country

mallorygins
9 years ago

We just bought our home, it's in a small country town and the desert landscaping and color scheme sticks out like a sore thumb. What colors would you recommend painting it? What other details should we add without breaking our budget? Pleas note the stone front walkway is shades of tan, orange. Can I paint the house my dream blue with white trim?

Comments (129)

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another house in area (they will all be different since all are custom).

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another neighbor

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interior style

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interior style

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Ginz, I found your house on Zillow and looked up and down the street. I don't think your house looks at all out of place with the surrounding houses. The only thing I noticed was your fence is a little more utilitarian than other fences on your street.

Colors notwithstanding, there is not a nickle's worth of difference between your house and the one you posted at 16:35, and the one at 16:36. The difference is those houses have a lush lawn. I think it has already been determined that a lawn of thick green grass cannot be done considering the drought conditions in your area.

That doesn't mean that your house won't be pretty and exactly what you want. I vote for a white or off-white house, with a medium-light trim including the doors.

The dining room you posted can be easily done in your house. The two story LR probably not since you do not have a 2 story LR.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Your house fits well in that neighborhood. I think what bothers you is the plainness of its facade. It's like a pretty woman with no makeup. If you look at the photos you posted, all have trim - most around the windows - and some mature plantings.

Think of your windows as eyes. They need some shadow and mascara to make them pop.

Because you have very small foundation plantings along the front, your home's 'face' appears very large and blank. The house is 'floating' on the ground.

The link I posted shows what you can do with some addition to the foundation of the house. You have some beautiful flagstone leading into the house. What if you used that same stone to face the lower part of the house under the windows and added vertical-style shutters? (See house #3.)

I agree with those promoting white or light exterior color with a bit darker trim and a pop of color on shutters and/or doors. OR, take a cue from #'s 1, 3 and 4, using color on the house and white trim. (A combination I love.)

I'm not a fan of blue houses (probably because I've seen too many too blue!), but you could easily use a lighter shade of the grayish blue in your interior shot. It would be gorgeous with bright white trim.

Put the boots and a couple of rustic rockers on the front porch and, voila, a "country house"!

Here is a link that might be useful: Window and House trim

• Chrysanth
    9 years ago

I agree with others that a lawn can give a house a more country look, but I don't think that you should give up the idea of a lawn-type element in the front, due to the dryness.

Here and there in Gainesville and the Tampa area I see homeowners who have side-stepped the whole mowing issue by putting down a front yard of Liriope muscaria - usually variegated.

They're not playing catch or touch football on this, but it will give a lawn "look" - sort of. So, investigate what the options are for your region.

You should get started now planting a shade tree or two in the front. It can help shade any landscaping you have and make things look cooler. I don't know how big your lawn is. Get advice from 811 (I think that's the number) as to where the water lines are and don't put it too close to the house, for foundation reasons. The utilities will come out and mark your property - I've gotten that done here in Florida at two different properties.

Many counties have extension offices or extension services that should be able to recommend native plantings and drought-resistant greenery.

In many parts of Florida we have IFAS - Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. They usually staff a booth a the local plant shows in the major and medium-sized metropolitan areas. Just walk up and ask away. And there's a world of information out there on the web.

If nothing else, you could plant a lawn full of fountain grass - not the reddish variety. I think the red or purple ones will add to the dry look. Fountain grass seems like it is drought-resistant in my area.

Also, I wouldn't limit myself to the varieties of ground cover that will withstand EVERY drought. If a few days of water per year will broaden the options, the environment will not fall apart.

In my county, residents can water twice per week with their irrigation systems (sprinklers) on their assigned days. Most people don't do that all year long - just when the rains get infrequent. BUT, I think that you can hand water with a hose any day of the week.

Also, try researching concepts like:
    drivable grass, Drivable Grass® Permeable Pavers, drivable grass concrete paving systems, open grid pavement.

In your "flower beds" or areas where there's existing bushes, the big box home improvement stores have the DIY components and information pamphlets so that you can install micro irrigation. It's often pretty reasonably priced. You don't use it all the time. But if you can just turn the system on manually when the dry periods are at their worst, it keeps the hedges from getting all scraggly. And make sure that your planting beds are graded to direct rainfall and irrigation TOWARD the plant's main stems and not away from the plants.

I wanted to hold off on recommending putting lattice or trellis up on sections of the front of the house until I could look over some of your inspiration photos. And now I see that one of your neighbors has them. Don't use the cheapy ones that you get already stapled together from the DIY stores or lumber yards. As money allows, get a sturdier dimension of wood than that furry lathe and build your own trellis in your "large shop".

And speaking of trellis, if you put up some sturdy stuff, you can plant some white bougainvillea near it. I wouldn't train it around the members - the branches can get too woody and thick. You can tie them up. There's also a variety where the flowers (actually their bracts) are white, graduating to pink tips. White bougainvillea will have a more country-type look and less deserty look than the eye-catching fuschia, medium-deep pink, and strong purple ones - which have desert, desert, desert written all over them.

When choosing other drought-resistant and drought-tolerant landscaping, skip the ones that are naturally yellow, yellow-variegated, red, and red-variegated. The deeper green plants will give a more lush look. That's what I notice walking around my subdivision.

As far as painting the house, I would also consider putting up fiber cement siding such as CertainTeed WeatherBoards or HardiePlank. Fiber cement siding could get you a discount on your homeowners insurance, due to its fire resistance. It has the look of wood lap siding boards and you would just knock the "country look" out of the park, relative to your neighbors. They'd be coming to YOU to see what you had done.

Is there any hope for siding in the next 5 years? What is your budget?

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I don't know if this was mentioned, but red is a warm color and because of that, I wouldn't do a red door if you want to change from desert to country.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I think the problem is:
    1.) The top is too dark while the bottom is too light. They don't fit.
    2.) The gravel thing (driveway) in front is way too wide. Makes the area look even more barren.
    3.) Not enough trees.

The solution is:
    A.) Change the roof and bottom so they match and are a shade in between. I like sujafr's #7, the gray.
    Alternatively, you could turn the whole thing into a slightly lighter, redder faux redwood. Like the fence on the right of your last picture.
    B.) Make that gravel driveway narrower. Perhaps replace part of it with a rock garden with granite boulders and lavender or a zen garden. Granite boulders woud break p the big barren expanses.
    C.) Can you find any trees drought tolerant enough to survive your area without watering? A few more trees would make the yard look less barren, less "dessert" and would hide any aesthetically displeasing parts of the house. You need one in the left of the first photo. A California Redbud, a fern pine (Podocarpus gracilor). Go to the garden forums for regionally appropriate suggestions. Nothing says "not dessert" like trees. Wait until the drought ends, though. If your climate doesn't support grass, don't do grass...you were smart in that.
    D.) Some red brick paths might be nice. They would break up the broad expanses of dirt and look country.

NOTE: When I first started writing this I didn't notice your second photo with the trees by the road. They aren't in your first photo, the one everyone focuses on. I actually think your house would look MUCH better from the road, with the trees in the view to break up the starkness.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 11:53

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

It will be hard to move from the desert look so long as your front yard is eighty percent gravel.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I can't stop reading this post and the suggestions. Probably because I love desert living.

Have come to the conclusion that the color of the house doesn't matter. What does is it feels like it is "floating" all alone. I would look into landscaping first. There are tons of xeriscape roses, daisies, grasses, succulents, etc, which do not need water and grow like weeds, plus the colors are bright and cover a wide range of such. I took out my entire front lawn and now have a zericape country garden with a dry creek. Even log pole fencing would soften the surround. You already have a good start with the plants flowering in pic of hub.

I would not change the driveway, would love to have that. No true maintenance. We don't have street parking, so driveway like yours would be a blessing. Bring the landscaping to the edge of front driveway. Depending upon what you do may lead to the color of your home. I still lean torward white.

Here is a link that might be useful: [desert landscaping[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/river-of-rock-mediterranean-exterior-phoenix-phvw-vp~69697)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I think TC is right about the need for landscaping, although I think a fresh coat of paint is going to make a world of difference. I don't know about where you are, but here garden stores will draw up landscape plans for free if you buy the plants from them.

What is your siding? Is it cementitious panels?

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I would paint the brown areas the same as the cream on the rest of the house and the trim white. I love the mock ups that sujar did where the body color is a light shade like your current color and gables are all the same color with white trim like in #1 but would love to see a black door with white sidelights. Really dress up and highlight the porch entry space. With some landscaping you have a beautiful home.

• Chrysanth
    9 years ago

Sujafr, what software or app are you using?

Anyway, I think that sujafr #8 is like #1 OR #4, but with GinzHomstead's preference for blue.

However, I think that rtwilliams has been rummaging around in my inspiration folder. I have similar images. Rtwilliams, where is that image from? My guess is that GinzHomestead's entry area, like mine, does not have the height to have the door's overhead lights, but I like the the door and sidelights, both with the divided lights. It's best if a homeowner can install the real thing, but some of the better quality, faux, snap-on dividers can look good when the budget is limited.

I have noticed before that most more traditional houses don't have gable edge molding that hangs down so much as with your deserty/modern look, with so much area facing the viewer. In comparison, traditional gable molding might look more like rtwilliams', with the greater area being the area nailed into the body of the house. (Fascia board vs. frieze board?)

I've never seen gable roof detail like on this house before, on the left and right. I think it reduces the potential for country style. Maybe there are posters who know construction and know if these are now necessary for the structural integrity of the roof and would be very expensive to "cut off", or if they are not so necessary.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I think the gable is technically called a dutch gable - not to be confused with a gambrel roof. A dutch gable hangs a hip roof off a standard gable. If you search Google images for "dutch gabel roof," you will find many examples. They aren't that uncommon.

Here is a framing schematic for a dutch gable roof. I think you can tell, it cannot be cut off.

Gambrel roof

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/captains-residence-exterior-victorian-exterior-providence-phvw-vp~388229)

[Beach Style Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2110) by Providence Architects & Building Designers Union Studio, Architecture & Community Design

Dutch Gable roof (the two gable on the right half of the picture)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-exterior-contemporary-exterior-chicago-phvw-vp~332049)

[Contemporary Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2103)

I find the roof appropriate for the house and the climate. I think changing the profile would be an unnecessary expense. I won't even go into the possibilities for disaster.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

This house was in my most recent issue of Southern Living. I thought the color scheme might work on your house. SL suggests Glidden Oatmeal for the body and BM Wythe Blue for the board and batten shutters. Notice it has a dark door.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/fredericksburg-cottage-farmhouse-porch-austin-phvw-vp~2497799)

[Farmhouse Porch[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-porch-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_726~s_2114) by Austin General Contractors Bonterra Building & Design

If your husband is handy, he could perhaps construct the board and batten shutters. If you Google it, there are all sorts of instructions on building board and batten shutters.

When your budget allows, I'd like to see you change out your front doors to doors with glass. Something simple, like this

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/christmas-front-door-exterior-phvw-vp~72138)

[Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/exterior-home-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_736)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fredericksburg Cottage

• awm03
    9 years ago

I love bbstx's color & door suggestions. Yes, doors with full or 3/4 glass would do a lot to open up the front of the home and make it look more welcoming.

The problem with shutters, though, are the two air conditioners by the right half windows. It doesn't look as if there's enough room for good sized shutters unless you go with very skimpy ones. And skimpy shutters wouldn't look right at all -- an expensive mistake. It also looks as if the windows in the entry area are too close to the walls to add equal-sized shutters of decent width. I think GinzHomestead would be better off adding window trim -- plain, substantial width -- instead of shutters.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

You could add some stone facing, with gray tones, and go with your favorite gray paint.

• awm03
    9 years ago

marti8a, that's very nice! Might need a stone that blends with the front steps/patio, though.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I had never noticed the a/c units on the right. I saw them but dismissed them as some sort of lights. Duh!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Thanks aawm03. I tried finding something similar but it just looked like an addition. I thought something different but with complimentary colors might look better. But it's just an idea.

I also let my bias influence the stone I picked. I like square cuts better than irregular stone. But I'll go back and do some of the others.

This is the front porch with the closest match, lightened a little for sun brightness.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 21:42

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

The same stone on the house

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

And one that doesn't match the porch well, but works better with gray paint, IMO.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

This is what it looks like with the porch

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input, I am blown away by everyones helpfulness and hope no one is offended that I haven't been quick to respond. I am seriously overwhelmed! haha! We are doing all the remodel at once (my husbands personality is to decide and never look back, I could research until my eyes bled and still question my choice). Here is what has been going on in my brain when reading all the informative and helpful responses.

1. We realized that the plain front door (with no windows at all in the entrance) was boring and more bothersome than the paint color. So we are now spending our $$ on beautifying the front entrance first before paint.

2. Yes, those are AC wall units. No we did not put them in, I would never, ever permanently marr a wall like that. They will be coming out when we paint the house.

3. I never heard of xeriscaping and think that would be a great option! I never considered that the colorful fuschia and yellow/orange flowers screamed desert but now I absolutely understand. Most country houses stick with white flowers.

4. One day we would love to pave the circular driveway. We LOVE all the parking and the convenience of driving through so we wont ever remove it. But I see that it is boring. I love the idea of brick walkway around it or a xeriscaping around it.

5. Our fence is too industrial boring and one day we will want a pretty white or wooden fence.

6. I would love to do the cement siding! Yes that would scream country and I would be obsessed with its beauty. I LOVE siding and was bummed that this house didn't have it.

7.Marti8A I LOVE the rock base, that is gorgeous! I would love to do that in the future.

So to sum up, We are buying a new front door. And I will look into more drought-tolerant greenery as the first step in beautifying the house. We had set aside about 7k for the paint, but then things came up and it got reduced to about 5k for the exterior. We hope a front door with sidelights and painting the entry will bring enough curb appeal until we can save for painting the house and maybe siding or the stone facing.

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This craftsman style but no upper light (no room). In fiberglass so it can be painted any color. Sidelights will have screens and will be hinged to open for cross breeze

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Ginz,
    That is a beautiful door you posted yesterday. Why isn't there room for a window in the door itself? Seems that whatever size door fits could have a window in it, it isn't a separate 'light' above the door. A window would give you so much more light and really fits with the style of your house.
    I think the conclusion you've come to about what your house needs is spot on, congratulations!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Ginz, I had something like this in mind, although yours would have to have a square top to fit the opening you have:

{{gwi:1803646}}

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BBstx, yes the exterior is a stucco. I love the double white doors you posted above, just beautiful! There are a couple reasons we went the direction of the craftsman single door. First, a double door tends to leak which made us want a single door. The house gets a great crossbreeze so we wanted a screen, so we liked the option of opening the screened sidelights for the crossbreeze. I am still open for suggestions for a different door. We want to stay around 4k.

Junco- Thank you! In regards to the window in the door, I am not sure what you mean. The window above a door? Unfortunately the entryway is only 6'8! Only enough room for a door and no window =( Are you talking about this or something else entirely, I am curious.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

The window is part of the door, and 80" is a common door size. I've linked one below.
    Where did you see the door with the sidelights that have screens? They should have a door with a window that fits your opening.

Here is a link that might be useful: 80

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Ginz, I am in my 3rd house with double doors. Only once have we had an issue with the doors leaking and that was because it was a very strong storm and our weatherstripping had gotten old and worn down. Our problem was easily remedied by new weatherstripping. Do your doors face the direction that storms come from in your area?

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Ginz - What is the brand or website for that door? I love the idea of the sides being screened.

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finallyhome - they are Thermatrue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vented sidelights

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

I think this color scheme would look great on your house, and work well with the elements you already have, such as the stone walkway and the desert environment. Once the drought is over, it would look equally good with a lushly planted garden. And you can add some rustic "country" elements inside, too.

Good luck.

This post was edited by bird_lover66 on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 9:53

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phase one in updating the exterior. The door and paint made a huge difference. I'm so glad we took the house painting budget and put it toward a new door.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Money well-spent! It looks great!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Fantastic! Agree w/bbstx: Money very well spent!

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

The new door looks great! I agree with everyone else. It was money well spent.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

The new door looks great! I agree with everyone else. It was money well spent.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Wow--that look amazing! Great choice. I agree that putting the money into the door was a very wise move. Can't wait to see what else you decide to do!

• teeda
    9 years ago

delete duplicate post

This post was edited by WMA89 on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 19:18

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, that door is gorgeous! I love that color!

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I don't have anything to add with respect to the house, but I'm attaching a link that may be useful for landscaping. It was put out by the East Bay Municipal Utility District (I live in Oakland). It's geared toward Northern California, but a lot of the plant recommendations will be appropriate for SoCal, too. Not all xeriscaping is cacti, and the book has some really fabulous alternatives--from California natives to Mediterranean plants to South African plants--that don't scream "desert."

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants and Landscapes for Summer-Dry Climates

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

The door is just beautiful - both the style and the color.
    Diane

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Thank you for returning to let us see the progress.

• tulips33
    9 years ago

If I were making changes, the first thing I'd do is add shutters.
    You could keep the color and add some cedar shutters to give a rustic look. If you were wanting to bring in blue I'd do it in the shutters and keep the body of the house a neutral color.
    I think the part making the house look dated is the recessed part in the middle, so if you were really wanting to dramatically change the curb appeal, I'd save the money on repainting the entire house and a roof or cedar arbor or something over that recessed area.

{{gwi:2140150}}

{{gwi:2140151}}

{{gwi:2140152}}

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Fantastic! I love the color!

• natesgram
    9 years ago

I'm glad you got the door with the windows too. It's a beautiful color!

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tulips33, Yes, agree shutters would add a nice touch and we would LOVE to roof the recess part of the house. It is a beautiful porch that has a front row view of the most spectacular west coast sunsets. That would definitely be money well spent.

Thanks for all the kind words. We are really happy with the door and the change it brings to the home.