Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindalynn

house exterior help--shutters? paint the brick?

Mindalynn
9 years ago

I am looking for some advice on how to improve our home's exterior. I dislike the color of the brick and especially the red door, shutters, etc--I think the color does not look good with the siding and brick. Anyone care to weigh in on some of these questions:

1.) Should I just remove those shutters? Or paint them? They look weird to me in general, but I especially don't like the color.

2.) Has anyone had experience with staining brick a different color? I wish ours was not so early 90's pink looking. I don't want to paint the brick but still want to change the color somehow. Maybe just whitewashing?

3.) Any ideas for paint color schemes in general? (Our HOA is pretty strict about requiring "earth tones" for the siding colors, although we are allowed to do some colorful trim/doors/etc)

4.) Opinions on whether the garage doors should be the same color as the trim (like they are now) or the same color as the siding?

Comments (16)

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I hesitate to enter into a shutter discussion, we have debated this so many times but IMHO the ones shown are too small. I would want them the white of the trim, the accent color in this situation isn't working for me. It is difficult to see your brick color complaint in the picture. It all looks very cohesive to me.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes, the shutters are too small. Remove them. I would paint the garage doors and the vent to match the siding.

I haven't stained brick, but from what I've seen, it can work well, if you want to change the color. The pink doesn't show up in this pic, but if it's there in real life, then it would be a good idea to neutralize it.

But the biggest thing here would be to change the landscaping so the front door becomes the most important thing. That means doing something with plantings to make the walkway and the area around the front door colorful and prominent.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Your photo is in shadow so we can't really see the color. There's several houses in my neighborhood with the pink brick (along with teal trim and door, so be thankful you don't have that!), and your brick doesn't look nearly as pink. I would leave it but paint the garage doors to match the siding. I like the red with the tan siding-- it's classic. Your call on whether the shutters go. Even though some don't like when they're not operational, sometimes a house looks naked or colorless without them.

I would remove the conifer. It's too big for your entryway. We had several trees plopped into our landscape when the house was built and have removed them as they've gotten too big.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

I like the red, but maybe that's whats making the bricks take a pink tone. A nice grayish blue like SW roycroft Pewter or a deep plum-black color like SW Raisin or Cyberspace (grayish-black) may tone down the bricks. SW Mediterranean is a nice blue accent color for the Roycroft Pewter, especially on the door.

I do get that you don't like the bricks, but I'd probably try pulling another color from them to tone them down first since the staining is rather permanent. And I agree that some colorful landscaping could draw the eye away from the brick. The shutters probably should be wider, but I like the concept of them to bring color to that side.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Please take a couple of photos from the front of the house -- and even the back too! -- and perhaps one photo of the brick itself ..... always handy for us -- then we can really "see" your home ....

So Far:
    1)Remove the shutters -- and paint out the red accents .... if the front door is red -- perhaps consider a simple change to white ..... and add a large knocker and front door mat ....

2)The garage doors AND their trim should be the same color as the siding -- so that they blend into the house façade -- and allow the front door to be the true focal point ....

3)Paint tones REALLY depend on the color tones in the brick ....(and the roof color too ....)

Anyway -- adding more photos to this thread will really help us ... to help you! :)

• Mindalynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Here's some more pics, as requested. I could only upload one I guess, so the rest can be found at the link below. (The original picture in my first post was taken in winter, but these were taken today--pardon the blue umbrella on the top of one or two.)

Now that I look at the zoomed out one more closely, I realize maybe it is the driveway brick that really bothers me more than the brick facade...but the brick facade does look pinker in person, I think.

Also, I know the doorway is totally obscured by the deep porch and that this is a problem. (It is the same color as the shutters, BTW). But, I don't know how we could solve that one without major construction, so I'm just focusing on the shutters/paint colors for now.

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I have stained my brick, and while it looks good from the street, I'm not as crazy about it close up. And it was a pain.

I actually like the brick on your house. From a distance, like your photo, it reads gray rather than pink. But your driveway reads pink.

What if you took away the red from your house, and repainted the garage doors and front door. Dark colors recede, light colors proceed.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The house brick reads gray, so you can relax there. The driveway is the pink problem, but how nice to have a brick drive. I might learn to live with it.

Your entryway is totally obscured by four large trees. I would take out the second plum/red maple and the conifer and have the front red tree professionally pruned. I lost my birch due to overcrowding and water competition from Douglas firs. We had our large shade tree pruned this year to let light into its interior and it's so much prettier and healthier.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I like Marti's mock-up with garage doors the same color as the siding and the front door in white, which will be more visible in shadow than the current darker color. I also love the large trees and don't feel it's important to have the front door visible from every angle. It's always a fine idea to check with an arborist to see whether pruning would improve the look and health of trees.

The driveway color doesn't bother me a bit. I think the current paint scheme with the pale garage doors causes the facade to seem a bit chopped up, while darker garage doors make it easier to appreciate the house's entry way and other nice features.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I really like Martia's mock up. Pretty house and yard.

• pokyhoky
    9 years ago

I think your house is lovely. I like fluffeebiskits1 idea of a raisin color for the shutters .... especially with the red maples. I know the driveway might not be the ideal color, but it really is nice!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

My neighbors used, I believe, Linseed Oil to darken their brick. Had to do two coats.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Thanks for the extra pictures -- especially the photo of the brick itself -- very helpful!!! :)

So ...... perhaps consider a medium tone of gray that would work with the dark gray roof AND the tones in the brick AND the dark gray tones in the driveway ......

For the door itself -- consider a whiter tone that will bring it into prominence in the façade .....

The color of the trees really does help to emphasize the pinky-red tones in the brick and the driveway .... BUT ... rather than lose the trees -- do consider having those trees WELL trimmed and thinned so that the color is more balanced in your landscaping ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Street Chic -- CSP-45

• User
    9 years ago

Mindalyn,
    You look like you live in a garage with your pic.
    All I see are giant garage doors, a second floor with a couple windows and tiny little red shutters.
    And lots of trees on the other side.
    Nice driveway going up to the garage, which is all I see.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Definitely darken the garage doors and brighten the entry door. Personally, I'd probably lose the shutters, too. And +1 on whoever said to change the landscaping. It's amazing how strategic landscaping can control where the viewer's eye lands on the house.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

The house is what it is--and I think what Kiwigem says is probably the best solution. However, you might want to think, down the road, about replacing the garage doors with something more decorative. They are such a large mass, that either something with windows across the top, or the kinds of doors that open in the middle with some interesting woodwork or hinges might help. That's a big expense, so now you probably have to just deal in paint. But in 10 years, you might have a better solution.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH