Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloe5_gw

How can I decorate this long wall in the living room

chloe5
13 years ago

I'm really at a loss as to what to do with this wall.

First, we do have an over-sized sectional in this room. But it is very comfortable for four people to lay out and watch TV. We also have a set of more french country type furniture that we could move into the room, but that would mean repainting. This is the brightest room in the house and I want a color that really accentuates light. Someday I hope to have more windows put in, but for now this is what I've got to work with.

Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (22)

• chloe5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trying again. Here's the link to the wall in question:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/Chloe1225/Redo2/IMG_1543.jpg?t=1284356804

• chloe5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From the sounds of the crickets on this thread I guess I can now say with certainty that there is no way to decorate this stupid wall.

Yes, the couch is too big for the space, but it is so comfy and dh and I can lie in each other's arms to our hearts' content. I guess that we'll have to be content with that and the fact that this long, green wall is simply unredeemable.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Patience, my dear, you posted at 2 AM and seem upset that no one got up in the middle of the night to give advice. This might help:

• christine1950
    13 years ago

I would move the couch away from the wall first and I would also break up the couch, thats JMHO.. Can you post a pic of the whole room for better advice?
    Christine

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

yes definitely need to see more of the whole room. the wall has no context.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Yes -- please take many more photos of the whole room ... IF you can -- take photos from a safe short stool so that we can get a good idea of the layout ....

• natal
    13 years ago

I just saw more living room pics on your other thread. Before worrying about decorating that wall I think I'd consider rearranging furniture.

Have you tried centering the sectional with the window? Maybe divide the bookcases and put on different walls or even remove one from the room entirely. Move the TV to the current bookcase wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Chloe's living room

• User
    13 years ago

Something like this, as in a gallery.

Or like this, with mostly big framed vintage travel posters. This is a 34 foot long family room with a big sectional. All the swivel arm lamps plug in but they can turn on/off by a single wall switch.
    Not yet finished, chocolate paint going below the chair rail.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

You might use an arrangement of floating shelves and artwork for that large expanse of wall. I think that the depth of the shelves would work well. I think that you need something 3 dimensional to keep it from looking too flat.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I agree with moccasinlanding that a series of artwork in the same size displayed across the wall would help. You have other tall weighty elements in the room (thanks natal for the reference link) such as the window/curtains and heavy book shelves. I think heavier frames in tones similar to your shelving (dark wood) would help balance that long low sectional.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the ideas posted and want to add that a molding where the wall meets the ceiling would help make it look more polished. It does not have to be crown molding or anything elaborate, but just some kind of finishing touch.

I like the idea of sconces on the wall so someone can hang out and read on the comfy couch....

• teacats
    13 years ago

Thanks Natal for posting the link to more photos!

O.K. I do like the artwork that is posted in the photos -- the one that is leaning on the sofa .... try that -- and add some smaller artworks or even plain white plates on each side to widen the whole area .....

OR hang that white-framed mirror in the dining room vertically -- and again -- add smaller artworks on each side OR an arrangement of plates/platters to create a fuller area ....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I just saw this photo on another post and thought of your wall.

• chloe5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

I know I must look impatient, but I've been staring at this stupid wall for months and months. What seems like minutes to y'all has really been months for me.

I tried the easiest suggestion of disassembling the sectional and it simply just doesn't work. If it broke apart differently, but it doesn't and after breaking it apart and slinging the parts all over the room I've abandoneed that idea (which would be a great one if the thing would break apart right).

While it is a great suggestion and was my original concept for the room, I've already had the sectional under the window and it didn't work; it is too wide and accentuates the narrowness of the space.

I know this flies in the face of magazine decorating, but I think it is silly to have a room set up so you can't really watch the TV when the major purpose of the room is the TV. But if I also don't want the TV to be the first thing a person sees when they walk into a room, IYKWIM?

I really like the moulding ideas. I've been thinking about that and seeing pictures inspires me and will help me explain what I'm thinking to my husband. Good ideas there, well, good ideas everywhere; I wish I could make some of these ideas work.

I guess I have to make a decision: fashion or comfort. I have another couch and loveseat that reflects my taste better, more french country, but they aren't nearly as comfortable as the big, sprawly sectional and I think I might have to repaint since there is a lot of green in the other set.

We bought this sectional because our entire family could sprawl out and watch TV, but now we're empty nesters and I'm rethinking it.

Finally, dawnp, I do love this picture a lot. If I keep the sectional then that is maybe a good direction to go.

• teacats
    13 years ago

dawnp: GREAT inspiration photo! And wonderful ideas for display! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Oakley
    13 years ago

You can easily combine comfort and fashion. I had a wall exactly like your's.

Can you afford a new sofa, a comfy one? Then get an end table and lamps for each side with another chair, even a recliner for your husband.

Then do a grouping of pictures where the sofa is and work out from there.

• chloe5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going to pull in the other couch and loveseat for a change. I'll post pictures when it is done.

My bestest dog in the world died suddenly two weeks ago (11yo GSD) and a few days later my mom got diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. I'm not doing so well and I find myself rearranging everything. I guess when life it out of control you gotta control something.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry about your loss and about your mother, Chloe...before you rearrange other couches etc- would you consider trying what dawnp posted?
    That was a lovely inspiration photo and working on this would keep your mind busy~

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Chloe, I am so sorry about the loss of your dog and your mother's illness. Sounds like you're doing great therapy for yourself by doing some makeovers with your house.

I like the idea of the sofa and love seat. I think it will give you more space in the room to play with and will still be comfy.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Chloe:
    I am so sorry about your current struggles. I still miss my bestest dog in the world who died when I was 12. And, your presence and support will help make your mom's battle easier. As the mother of a daughter with whom I am very close, it would be with her I would find the most comfort. I'm sorry I don't have any additional suggestions for your room beyond the great ones already given.
    Dee

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear of your dog passing and your Mother's illness. Life is painful and seems like so many negative things pile up at once. Hang in there and if moving your furniture around helps...you go for it girl. I typically throw myself into my projects at work when life is giving me lemons, so you do what works best for you. My Mom was diagnosed with colon ca and had surgery about 7 years ago (they only gave her 2 years) but she is 91 years old and kicking that ca in the butt!!! I spend as much time with her as I can (she is in SoCal...me in NorCal).

I suggest you keep your sectional in the position it is, seems like that is the best functionally for your family. I also like the inspirational picture that dawnp posted. Those long shelves are great and really anchor the room, plus I just love that green you have on your wall.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner