Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Comfortable counter stools

sixkeys
9 years ago

I am looking for stools with a rustic or industrial style, but comfort is important too. I like these from west elm, not sure how they feel. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Comments (8)

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I too have been searching. I want to up date what we have. I would not want to be with out the swivel feature stools can have.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Those look hard to sit on for any length of time. I too have swivels and love it. Check out what overstock has....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I have never sat on a counter stool that is comfortable, and certainly not for any length of time. the comfort factor isn't in the materials or style of the chair, per se, but really in the bend of the body from the knees bending to a sitting position. This, in a counter stool, requires the bar at the bottom on which to rest feet. You need a platform for that to be comfortable. In addition, oftentimes, the stool is in front of a solid surface, causing knees to jam up and forcing the person, again, to sit awkwardly in order to have room for their legs. I think they're a difficult piece of furniture.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 9:08

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm not sure of your price range but a comfortable swivel stool needs a nice roomy seating area at least 18 X 18, a nice padded seat and a back at least 18â high. A good swivel will have some weight to it especially if there are children. I really like Johnston Casuals swivel stools because there is a pretty large selection of finishes you can get as well as a large selection of seat coverings from fabrics to vinylâÂÂs or leather. So, you can drastically change the look of any of their stools to suit your decorating needs. Most sites only have a small selection of Johnston stools so you will have to go to the site to choose and then call someone like Carolina Rustica to place your order with finish, height and covering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnston casual finishes and upholstery

• janeway452
    9 years ago

You might want to check out this Industrial Crank Stool. It doesn't have a back (which I think would be essential to make it comfortable), but I KNOW I saw one with a back either at this site or somewhere else. You might be able to find it using this as a start. It's a bit pricey, but so cool!

http://www.dotandbo.com/collections/define-your-style-industrial-modern/industrial-crank-stool

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Those are nice looking stools. However, look at that front edge. I got a couple of saddle stools with a seat very similar to the one in your photo. Went through all the trouble of painting them. Oh boy!!! I should have sat on them first. That front edge cut right into my thighs. I could take it for 5 minutes and then I had to get off.

I was at a friend's last weekend and commented on how comfy her counter stools were. Unfortunately I hated how they looked. It's a trade-off.

I would sit before I buy.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried them out today, and I thought they were very comfortable. I was disappointed that they have such a strong red undertone. The photo has a sample of my hardwood floors. I am going to keep looking. Of course it couldn't be so easy, what was I thinking. :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have exactly the same color problem with stools and floors (same combination). I already owned the stools (Pottery Barn saddle stools, which are extremely comfortable but backless, so probably not for long periods). I think aim going to get them refinished - It will be interesting to see what you come up with.