Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repurposing or recycling items as decor

Posted by EG3d (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 1:13

Anyone reuse wine bottles in some decor project like candle holders or something? What other every day items have you repurposed as decor? Pictures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repurposing or recycling items as decor

I used the corks from wine bottles to make a back splash in my bar area, and also behind the desk area in my kitchen which I use as a bulletin board.

We were just at a museum recently where an artist made an american flag out of found bits of red, white and blue plastic (bottle caps and such). It came out incredibly well and had a really interesting texture to it.

So I suppose you could do the same thing with any kind of image you wanted...your imagination is your only hold back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flag of plastic

o

Annie I love that!!! Did you attach them directly to the wall or to a backer that you then attached to the wall? How did you determine design and spacing? Wanna come do mine? I've been saving corks for a project - just never knew what kind!

o

The coolest art (recycled) that I have seen lately was a picture made out of the labels on fruits and veggies - the little round sticky labels that have the product number on them. I don't remember the subject of the picture but it used thousands of the labels. That's imagination.
Diane

o

I've always liked the idea of repurposing items for home decor. Recently saw interesting chandies at Arhaus which use wine bottles.

Here is a link that might be useful: wine bottle chandeliers

o

I'd be looking in the Trash to Treasure forums or other craft forums. The people over there are amazing.

o

DH made me a jig to hold the corks while I cut them in half with a hack saw. I then glued them directly to the wall with my hot glue gun. I figured if I used tile, the sheet rock would come down with it if I ever removed it, so why not just stick them on, and deal with the sheet rock if i ever remove them...though i doubt i will...i really like how they came out. The bar area took 200 corks, the desk area took 300. Placing them is no different than tile except the corks are more forgiving.

o

Our elementary school did a huge, beautiful circular mural with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of different colored bottle caps. It was a great use of the tops, and was a fun project for the kids! It turned out amazing...I wish I had a picture!

Or there's always something like this: ;)

o

Here is one that I did a while back. Pretty much, the whole thing is recycled/repurposed in one way or another. It's in our master bathroom.

The 3 cans on the left were tea bag containers from Harry and Davids given to me as gifts. I sprayed them, wrapped twine (that I found in the garage) around and now use them to hold cotton swabs, Q-tips and pocket change left over at the end of the day.

The picture is of our kids, and I simply converted it to a sketch (in photoshop), and printed it on cardstock that I had.

The shelf was on clearance and needed some re-gluing. It was black. I painted it white, with left over paint.

The jar on the end was a baby food jar, and my daughter made it for me at a Green Festival a few years ago.

Not a masterpiece, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is useful and makes me happy. :)

o

Annie, your bs is amazing, I saved this picture for my son, I give him bags of wine corks and he hasn't done anything with them yet, I attached a cork bathmat I saw once, thought it was neat ; gotta find the instructions though, I can't remember what the backing was.

o

Chianti straw bottomed bottles with all colours of dripping wax, I remember those fondly ; they would have a cool retro look today.

o

While at the San Francisco Childrens Museum this summer, I saw what I think was # 1. Who would ever have thunk! ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

o

The ultimate repurposing. In the Renwick Gallery. Game Fish.

mixed media: wood, plastic, beads, buttons, poker chips, badminton birdies, ping pong balls, rhinestones, coins, dice, plastic figurines, combs, miniature pinball games, dominoes, chess pieces, pool balls, and other found objects

Here is a link that might be useful: Game Fish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here