Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

House of the Four Winds

bpath
9 years ago

This house makes me swoon...and it's for sale! Will someone please go in on it with me?

Two young schoolteachers bought the neglected property in the mid-70s and took their sweet time restoring it, selling off some of the acreage to neighbors to keep it out off the hands of developers. I love the little office/sitting room off the kitchen. And the entry hall, oooooh.

Here is a link that might be useful: And check out the staircase

Comments (15)

• teeda
    9 years ago

Wow, that is beautiful!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

It sure is! But, could the kitchen be that small appearing room that we get one picture of? I thought it might be a butler's pantry until I didn't see any other kitchen pics.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Ohhhh, I am in love...

That looked like a butler's pantry to me, which have become the in thing to have, according to an article in the WSJ a couple of weeks ago. (After spending beaucoup bucks to have a beautiful show kitchen, people are adding on butler's pantries to store the toaster, the microwave, etc. so that the families don't mess up the show kitchen.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow! I love the ceilings, and the detail over the fireplace. The bedrooms are so well done and if I ate in the dining room, I don't think I'd ever leave. Thanks for posting!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

When you start with Howard Van Doren Shaw and Craig Bergman, 2 local treasures past and current, it's a REALLY good start! Add in tasteful and timeless decor and it's a winner on all levels. Love it. Not so much on the taxes :-)

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is a picture of the actual kitchen, not the butler's pantry, on Crain's Chicago Business, but I could only access it once with out registering, and they wanted too much info. Don't worry, the kitchen is only functional (probably why it's not on the Zillow listing) though it does have nice windows and the Crain's article suggests it could be combined with the butler's pantry and other servant spaces to make it au courant.

I wish these types of houses had Sunday open houses!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Swoon. How much do you think they spent on window treatments? No one could ever accuse them of not using enough fabric.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

The kitchen is on youtube.
    @ 5:07

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx17SZ9t65Y

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh, thanks, forboystoo! That's a much better view of the kitchen, looks better than the Crain's photo. I'm sure the kitchen is completely separate from the other living spaces, but that would be okay with me.

The master bed fabrics show up better, too. That dust ruffle and the canopy, I love the fabric.

I'm going to pour another cup of coffee and watch this again. Sigh.

• User
    9 years ago

Love that youtube video! The house is magnificent, there is no other word for it, and beautifully decorated. It is not over styled, or too layered, or anything other than a supremely elegant and comfortable backdrop for the life of the family living there.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

They definitely didnt skimp on the window treatments or the rugs either. How much do you think they spent on oriental rugs? Those are some very beautiful and very large rugs.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love that house. Thank you for the link to the listing and to the video.

• deegw
    9 years ago

LOVE the fabric on the bed skirt and pillows in 6:28.

Looks like the video was uploaded in 2011 and the price was 5.995 million. Let's see, if they reduce it by 1.6 million every three years, how long will it be before it's affordable?

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I love the kitchen, Butler's Pantry and Servant's Kitchen, the way it is!

What is WSJ?

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 14:31

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wall Street Journal