Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofreak

Red Granite

tomatofreak
9 years ago

I've had this slab, about 1" X 20" X 6' or thereabouts for years. I vaguely remember getting it for a few bucks and used it for a while as a partial countertop on 18" base cabinets in a walk-through pantry. When I did a kitchen redo several years ago, it got packed up (sandwiched between plywood cut to size) and put away.

Several months ago, I ripped the formica off that countertop and for some unknown reason, the MOTH unpacked it and put it back up there! Now it's in the middle of the floor in its plywood sandwich. Grrrrrr......

What can I do with it to put it to use? I love the color and think it might make a pretty bar. Like many (some?) of you, I collect pieces I think I might "do something with". I have two sets of sleek metal legs, one short, one tall. I could have it cut and make 2 tables, but the bar concept is tempting. Ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Granite

Comments (5)

• Jules
    9 years ago

What's your house style and color scheme?

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Red is my fave color and would love to see a pic of your slab. Unless you put it on an island, it would seem like it landed by default "just 'cause that's the place that was empty. Could it be used in another room as top for a dresser, or guest bath? How big is the slab?

As much as I adore red, nothing jars your never and sense of tranquility like a misplaced red whatever.

Again, I'm coveting your red slab.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Patio table?

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, jujubean71, I wish I could tell you it even has a style! The house itself is "the one that Topsy built". It began life as a very small house - probably 800 - 900 sq. ft. - on about a 1/3 acre lot. The original owners had four kids so they added on. They sold it in the early 70's to a certifiably crazy couple, also with a bunch of (destructive) kids, who added on a monstrosity to the back of the house. It now has about 2,800 sq. ft. under roof. You'd think there'd be all kinds of room to play with furnishings and decor, but it's a house with a floor plan that is almost impossible to work with. Here are some of the thoughts I've had about the granite slab.

1) Place it on top of tall shallow cabinets to make a self-standing bar. It could be used indoors or on one of the patios.

2) My kitchen is a (hated) galley and the wall between it and the great room is non-loadbearing. That wall could be opened up and the granite could be used as a breakfast/snack bar on the other side. Just legs or maybe cabinets underneath.

3) Have a fabricator cut it into a long and a short piece and make a coffee and a side table out of the two slabs. This idea provokes some creative thinking as I have some interesting, gnarly tree roots weathering away in the back yard.

bossyvossy, it got packed up and put away before I thought to take a pic of it. I searched for an image of red granite and the color I posted is very, very close. Red is my favorite color, too! It's just not wide enough at 18" - 20" to make a countertop. And it's too long for my bathrooms.

I really don't want it to slumber away for many more years, so I need to come up with a good use.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

ideas 1 or 3 sound good to me. the passthrough (#2) could end up looking like "placement just to get it used".