Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Master Bath (Pretty Much) Complete

sochi
11 years ago

x-post with bathrooms forum, as I received much help here too.

Thanks for the help and inspiration I received on all three forums - kitchen, bath and decor, Dianalo, Cloudbase, Palimpsest, Trailrunner, Martinca, Pharaoh. les917 and so many others.

I screwed up and accidentally told my contractor to tile the back shower wall, directly across from the shower head. I had wanted to put the mirror across the whole wall, as per one of my inspiration pictures. Argh. So I had to change out the mirror as well as the sconces we had originally chosen (the Artemide Logico that Pal had suggested). Still, I'm pretty happy with our overall result.

The bathroom is tiny, only 80" x 88". I opted to forego any storage under the vanity top in order to open up the space. The only storage in the bathroom is the built-in niche cabinet above the toilet, but we have a very large linen closet directly across the hall from the bathroom door, only two steps away, so storage wasn't really necessary. The bathroom feels larger than it is I think, you aren't cramped anywhere (unlike in the old bathroom).

The bathroom had an existing sky light, but we added a solar tube as well for the plants. Wow, it brings in far, far more light than the sky light, I'm really impressed with it. For a room with no windows, it is very, very bright.

Floor tiles: Cement Nickel by Antica

Wall tiles: Yakarta Blanco from Porcelanosa

Shower heads: Hansgrohe

Toilet: Toto (we reused the existing toilet)

Sink: Kohler

Faucet: Cifial

Vanity: live edge walnut

Sconces: Sonneman Teardrop

Shower Threshold: Caesarstone Raven

Wood floor in shower: Ipe decking (special shout out to cloudbase for all the advice on this, thanks!)

Picture above toilet: A photo taken by DH. This is a frame we had, it doesn't quite work (not rustic enough, nor big enough I think), so I'm still searching for the perfect frame. The medicine cabinet is behind this)

One of my inspiration pictures:

Old Bathroom:

New, but still pretty tiny, master bath:

Comments (48)

• les917
    11 years ago

Stunning! You should be very happy. It has a very upscale, very restful feeling.

The light from the solartubes is amazing,isn't it? I have wanted several of those for years - one for the upstairs hallway, two in the LR. Not gonna happen, so I live vicariously through posts like yours.

Enjoy your lovely new space.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow. That's beautiful! I love all of it, but the vanity is to die for! Great tiles and love your paint choice also. So calming and serene. Great job!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Posted in bathrooms, but have to say again how beautiful and wonderful your new MB is! It turned out even better than your inspiration pic, and I love it!

• User
    11 years ago

Just beautiful. You have a wonderful eye and your inspiration pic evolved into a serene and lovely bathroom . That wood floor in the shower is so spa like....I sure do love it it coordinates with your wood countertop so well. Looking forward to the bedroom pics next !

Oh and your DH is a very talented photographer :) c

• Irish2
    11 years ago

Love EVERY detail-but my favorite thing is the "live edge
    walnut". I too think it is better than inspiration pic.

• sas95
    11 years ago

I love everything about your room. Just gorgeous!

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

amazing, organic and elegant !

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

wow.. lovely! I can tell how much thought was put into your project, lots of details!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Fabulous, stunning, amazing....so creative and special...modern yet warm. Excellent job!

• User
    11 years ago

Much better than the inspiration photo... It is Zen like and perfect in the details, obviously a very carefully thought out design that is integrated and whole. It is truly beautiful and unique. Well done!

• amykath
    11 years ago

Amazing. Straight out of a magazine! Fantastic job!!

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

As a fellow tiny bathroom owner...what a gorgeous room and what a wonderful use of (not very much) space. You did a fantastic job in there!!

I'm especially impressed at your use of color and texture. My own lack of creativity in my tiny bathrooms meant that I went neutral, did the same tile all over to visually expand the view and called it a day. You created a stylish, interesting and yet extremely space effective bathroom.

Ann

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

• kiki_thinking
    11 years ago

It is lovely! How does the light from the solar tube affect the room? Does it mostly beam down on your plants? Or is it more diffuse, casting a broader beam down the walls? I have a similarly sized interior bathroom and I'm really interested in finding out how the light is cast, so I can choose placement. Thanks!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Amazing transformation.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

What a spectacular place to start your day...... Can we see the master bedroom that goes with it!??!?

• sochi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

kiki thinking, the solar tube casts direct light directly down, with a slightly enlarged radius. You can kind of see the spread of the direct light here:

So it doesn't cast a huge net of *direct* light, but it is more than sufficient to light the entire room in ambient light until the sun goes down.

The solar tube and the sky light also brighten up the dark hallway outside the bathroom. We put in a pocket door with opaque windows to ensure that the hall stays bright even if the bathroom door is closed:

As you can appreciate/imagine from the 'rough' layout below, the natural light in the bathroom makes a significant difference to the dark hall:

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Look at that! You pretty much realized your inspiration - wow. Very beautiful.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I am simply awed by the superb transformation you have managed to produce. I am having a hard time finding words to express my total admiration for what you have rendered.

• sochi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In case any of you are interested in how the space functions practically (ie, with so much wood, open shower, etc.) I've posted a few points on my thread in the bathroom forum.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Another sochi success story!!!

Well done!

• teacats
    11 years ago

Brillant -- simply gorgeous -- warm, elegant and modern!

Very very well done indeed! :)

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

Wow - what a wonderful transformation! I love the teak floors in the shower.

• awm03
    11 years ago

So beautiful and so many clever ideas too. Now you can relax & enjoy it, sochi!

• kiki_thinking
    11 years ago

Thank you for the solar light info, it helps a lot! I had actually already saved a photo if your frosted glass bathroom dor in my inspiration folder. And your kitchen is in there too! will go read the bathroom thread!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Wonderful transformation! The live edge walnut countertop is an especially shapely and beautiful one.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oh how nice!!! I would love to hang out in your master bath. That sound weird but it looks so peaceful.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

That is so cool! And I think it really fits your home, from what I have seen. Bravo for one-upping your inspiration!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Lovely! That should be in a magazine!

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

SO cool! What a change!! Enjoy!

• jlnick
    11 years ago

Absolutely amazing! It reminds me of the spa in the Hawaiian resort I honeymooned in. Peaceful, zen, and beautiful! The skylight works so, so well with the overall theme. MUCH better than the inspiration pic. I love it!

• sundownr
    11 years ago

Love it! I was sure I wouldn't like the new one as much as the old one but I was so wrong!

It really reminds me of some of the bathrooms I've seen in high-end safari camps in Africa.

• User
    11 years ago

Simply amazing!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

YES, Amazing, beautiful and outstanding! Remarkable job, Sochi!!!

• kitchentime
    11 years ago

Agree with all of the above. Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Can I ask about your shower floor? Is that set in place? I have seen a wood floor that was set above and removable. DH doesn't want that because it is one more thing to clean and another place for gunk and ick to grow. I am trying to get serious about my bathroom plans and need to investigate. Maybe your project completion will help mine move to the starting line.

I love what you have done, especially the vanity and the shower.

• sochi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lascatx and others.

Lascatx, the ipe floor in the shower isn't set in place, it floats above the regular tile floor. It is three different 'panels' that lift out for cleaning. It is in three panels and not just one because ipe is really heavy, plus it is easier to take it out of the shower area in smaller pieces.

So your DH is correct - adding teak, ipe or cedar flooring (the only three choices I think) in your shower does add one more thing to clean. On the bathroom forum post about my bathroom I note that I will need a year or so with the bathroom to determine if the ipe is worth the effort. That said, it isn't THAT bad - a few minutes every two weeks. I wouldn't use it in a family shower that is used multiple times per day by 4 or 5 family members.

Also, ipe is very resistant to mold and 'ick'. The soap that accumlates on the wood must be washed off regularly, but the wood itself is virtually bullet proof. And of course the tile beneath the wood must be cleaned as you normally would.

But - it looks amazing (IMO), so much better than just the tile, and it feels great underfoot. In a small shower area it isn't terribly expensive either. We might remove the stones and do our whole shower floor in ipe, we'll see. I like the stones, but they seem a bit contrived too.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Thanks. I lost track of this thread and saw the one on the bath forum first, then came back to look here again. I really like the idea of the wood, and in my case, floating it might be the one way we could enlarge the shower stall. We have an oddly shaped space recessed in the slab, angled load bearing walls, and an unfortunately placed window in brick that cannot be changed (we already learned that the brick crumbles ad cannot be cleaned and cannot be matched). As soon as I figure out what I want to do with that shower, I know I can snap together the rest of the bathroom plans and do that and my utility room -- and I am so ready! The one thing I can see keeping us from doing it would be the planning for aging in place. Lifting heavy panels might not be something we want to be doing in the future. Will have to think about that, or create the floor in smaller tiles. Budget the retirement for someone else to clean it? LOL

BTW, I actually like your original bathroom. They period look is a favorite of mine, but I understand how it wasn't working. In changing it, you created another favorite. The light and warmth are wonderful. Enjoy the ipe and thanks again.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Sochi, I have been waiting to see this reveal, and it didn't disappoint. I love your combination of materials, and I think the green wall paint works well with the other colors and textures. The whole effect is very clean, elegant and tranquil. I wish I could have you come to California to design my house.

• sochi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kaysd - well, DH goes to California a fair bit for work, so I'll tag along on his next trip! :)

lascatx - very good point about aging in place and lifting heavy ipe panels. We definitely plan to sell this house when our son is 18 or so (still 13 years away), so we don't have that worry with this house at any rate. I quite liked the aesthetics of my original bathroom too. We assumed we'd keep it as is for at least five years, maybe longer. But the shower broke down, the tile job was poor, the plumber told us it was only a matter of time before the toilet started to leak, we had a view of the toilet from our bed, the oak cabinets couldn't open fully (they hit the pedestal sink, so could only open partially), and while sitting on the toilet you could literally lean on the shower wall on one side and the cabinet on the other. So, a pretty enough face, but the rest was a disaster! We are loving the new space.

My DD (8) showered in our bathroom the other day and nows begs not to be forced to shower in 'her' bathroom (you have to step into the narrow tub and pull a shower curtain, *gasp*). Maybe we do need a lock on our bathroom! :)

• zwt162
    8 years ago

Your bathroom WAS my inspiration photo.

• zwt162
    8 years ago

(and I mean that literally -- just finishing, this picture is without the lights in)

Just wish I had read your blog too, which would have saved me hours trying to find the fixtures. Funny I also ended up with Porcelanosa, which happened to be nearby.

• zwt162
    8 years ago

Here are the lights (ended up with Bocci), now I just need a sliding door so the whole space can open up a la sochi!

The floating walnut was a really great idea on your part to open up small bathroom.

• maire_cate
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sochi - How nice to re-visit your bathroom and thanks to ZWT for sharing her bathroom too. I didn't know Sochi has a blog - how can I find it?

• Sochi
    8 years ago

Zwt - wow! Great bathroom! It took me a moment to realize that your first picture wasn't my bathroom. Lovely job. Is your door reclaimed wood?

We have the ipe decking in our cottage bathroom too, I love how it feels under foot. One tip - don't use bar soap in the shower, use liquid shower gels or soaps. We ran out of our usual liquid soap and switched to bar soap, it leaves more residue on the wood. It comes off very easily with a pressure washer, but better to avoid the residue build up if possible.

maire_cate, I don't have a blog, maybe one day! I think zwt was just referring to my gardenweb posts.

• zackyfarm
    8 years ago

maire_cate, yes sorry I just mean this site. My bathroom started as basically my seeing a picture of Sochi's bathroom on a google search, copying it to my phone and telling the contractor, "I want that!" It seemed like such a simple and beautiful design, how hard could it be? Needless to say, creating such a bathroom is not so simple, as I found out! It was quite a learning process, but the end product is nice to be in.

Thanks sochi, for the tip about the bar soap. Have always used bar soap but I'm noticing just what you talked about as I start to use this shower. I agree with you about the floor -- wood is so warm! The door is a Stikwood application over my old door (with the sides of the old door also sanded down to wood and stained). Kudos again to you for coming up with such a great design and passing your inspiration on.

Zack

• zackyfarm
    8 years ago

Oops, now it is listing me as zackyfarm ... hmm ... I am the same person (zwt162).