Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Fix the inside or fix the outside dilemma...

Sms
9 years ago

Hi all,

Considering a move to a new house and found two properties we like for different reasons.

The first house has been recently renovated and it is really great. The renovations were all interior and the landscaping and deck need serious work. It doesn't have a pool which is something we really wanted. It is in a nice setting and is near to hiking trails etc.

House #2 is on a spectacular view lot, has a great pool but its a bit dated on the inside. See pics�

Great room… (ugly carpet, awkward fireplace location and not sure I like the ceiling so much)

Kitchen (don't like the cabinets so much-- paint? stain? not loving the mexican restaurant flooring)

Family room off kitchen

Both houses are 3 BR but we prefer 4 BR. The first house would require a garage to be converted while the second has an office that can easily be a 4th.

So� it would seem that house #2 is the better bet (location, location, location and all that) but I'm not sure how to "fix" the inside and would appreciate suggestions. On the other hand we really like house #1 (sorry no pics) but think that the extent/cost of landscaping and lesser view are limitations.

So… what do you think house #1 (fix the outside) or house #2 fix the inside??

Comments (45)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hard call without seeing #1, but I LOVE #2. The ceilings are wonderful.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I like #2. New flooring would do wonders, I think. The kitchen layout is less than ideal. Island range with no hood, and it looks like overly large to work in comfortably (although that may be a trick of the camera).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

While the inside of #2 looks quirky, I like quirky as it adds character. It may not be to your taste right now, but I think the interesting ceilings can lead you to good places. If your taste is for traditional georgian, not so much, but if your taste is toward modern or transitional or pottery barn or rustic or country or cottage, you can get there.

I think the primary considerations for you, beyond initial price and basic location are...

a) cost of landscaping, adding a room, losing a garage vs. cost of interior remodeling

b) do you like the view at house 2 more than you like the interior of house 1

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like #2. You can get that house to your liking quite easily. A better lot is always more important to me. At first I thought that the one you posted was #1. It is hard to say without seeing the other house. I like the ceilings. If you do not you can always paint them or stain them. Kitchen cabs look nice. Painting is always a way to make them more to your taste preference.

Looking forward to what you decide. Would love to see pics of the view and exterior of house 2 and pics of house #1!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Without seeing the other house, I would say 2 is a better choice.

People seem to love or hate Mexican tile floors. If you are on the hate side, I would bring a contractor to the house and get an estimate about ripping them out and putting in a new floor. It looks like there is a lot of tile.

I would consider pulling out the island and replacing it with a more up to date rectangular one. It would really change the look of the kitchen.

How are the bathrooms in house 2? I have moved into 3 houses that needed total cosmetic updates. Even with our experience, updating has always been more work and more money than we anticipated. I don't mean to dissuade you but if you don't enjoy remodeling and decorating house 2 might be a chore

How old are the mechanical systems in house 2 versus house 1? It looks like the second house might be 15 years old or so. Make sure you figure potential replacement of a/c if age might be an issue.

More pics please !

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

If house 1 is pretty on the inside and needs work outside, I'd be worried that someone put lipstick on a pig and there may also be problems beneath the "pretty".

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Definitely, without a doubt, I would pick #1 sight unseen over #2. #2 is lovely for someone who loves the ceiling, but you don't. It is too prominent a feature of the house to buy if you don't like it.

Or keeping looking.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Do you like the architectural styles of the houses equally? If the answer to that is yes, then I would take number 2. Location, pool, ease of 4th bedroom.

For the type of house number 2 is, I would paint or stain the ceilings (which I happen to like architecturally) and trim, paint or stain kitchen cabs, leave saltillo tile floors for now and accent with many, many area rugs and change out carpeting. I also think your furnishings will make a big difference in the feel of the home.

Good luck! Hard decision for sure.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Always go for the views. Everything else can be changed.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Location and views. As rgps says, everything else can be changed, and the great pool doesn't hurt.

• rgps
    9 years ago

If you go with the house with the Saltillo tile live with it a bit before ripping it all out. It's warm and versatile and I loved it when I had it in a home. It really is timeless, just not trendy at the moment.

How can you not love this?

• Sms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good input thanks all. I don't have recent pics of house #1 b/c its not listed on MLS.

Here are some older pics. They did a very nice job on the gut remodel with pretty high end finishes. The kitchen/family room are really perfect as is the master suite. The other beds and baths are nice too and the whole house is cohesive. It appears as if the garage conversion to a legal 4th (septic is 4 BR) would be pretty straight forward and we might even be able to extend or connect a new garage. The view is still nice but not comparable to house #2.

The acquisition price would be lower but by the time we fix things it would pretty much be a wash compared to house #2. House #1 has a bit more kid friendly surrounds too. Exterior is pretty blah as you can see. Will try to get interior pics if I can but want to respect the privacy of the owners.

Trails lead to this lake about 1/4 mile from house

Annie to answer your question yes we like the view better on house #2 but the lot is flatter and more usable (albeit a bit smaller) for house #1.

Deee good idea to change out the island. I think the kitchen has other functional challenges as cawaps correctly points out (notice the d/w isn't near the sink for example). the bathrooms are dated-- the master and powder room esp but not horrible. Good question on the mechanicals I need to follow up on that for house #2. I believe house #1 has all new radiant floor heating and a/c.

Spanish I think house #1 was a bit overdone on the inside relative to the outside but it is in very good condition from what I can tell.

mamorella both houses are mid 70's and not too stylish but #2 is nicer.

RGPS/nosoccermom views are both nice but #2 are spectacular IMHO

We don't hate the tile and rgps that pic you posted is indeed lovely.

Here are more pics of house #2:

Master bed and bath

The room that is really concerning is the huge great room. I like the idea of painting or somehow lightening the ceiling and of course redoing the carpet or changing the flooring but that corner fireplace is really awkward as there is no clear focal point. This would also be the most logical place for a TV and its hard to figure out how to accomplish that. House #1 has a tv / game room that is really idea BTW.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I don't need to see the inside of #1. House #2 wins hands down! It is beautiful. What state is this?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

What rgps said.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I love house #2 but do not like the ceilings....how hard would it be to sheet rock the ceilings? Or do the ceiling in the room with the fireplace like the ceiling in the master bedroom. Beautiful house.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

#2 for sure. No question. The interior could be gorgeous.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, #2 is fabulous! I could live there in a red hot minute!

Agree, though, that you need to embrace the ceilings and decorate with respect to them or you will have a house of uncomfortable incongruity. The ceilings are really a marvelous architectural element, and I like the exterior of the house (2) much better as well.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Rarely do I love a house like I love # 2. What a wonderful house. I also don't care how fab house #1 is inside. There is no contest.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I have mixed feelings about the ceilings, but can definitely see the potential and would live there in a heartbeat. Would those beams in the great room need to be dusted frequently?

• theclose
    9 years ago

Oh my. House #2! House #2! Those views are incredible. The outdoor space is breathtaking and everything inside, as far as I can tell, is cosmetic and doable. Love it.

As for the great room, I would paint those ceilings like in the master and have the tv on the wall with the 3 prints or above the fireplace.

• Jules
    9 years ago

The ceilings are wonderful in #2! I love the pool, views and spaciousness of the rooms. I also like the existing tile.

• deegw
    9 years ago

After seeing more pics of number 2, I honestly can't think of a scenario where I would pick 1 over 2.

Even if you have to do the remodeling and updates in stages, the view and fabulous yard would be well worth the inconvenience.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

House no. 2, no doubt. I wonder if you paint the ceilings white, if they will disappear. Gorgeous land. What state is this?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

rgps is DH's long lost twin. He'd happily live in a refrigerator box if it had a good view!

• dretutz
    9 years ago

Defintely House #2. It is classic and those views!

• peegee
    9 years ago

Before saying absolutely without a doubt, #2, I would want to make certain the land within view could not be compromised by construction, etc....

• amykath
    9 years ago

#2 no question about it.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Wow, I could move into #2. I actually love the ceilings, and the view is amazing.

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

House 2 is the 1:) absolutely gorgeous!

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I like house 2. Of course, you are not required to make a choice, you can continue to look for a home that pleases you both inside and outside.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Pegee makes a good point.

• Sms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay great thanks everyone. Making an offer today on #2-- fingers crossed!!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Good luck!!!!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

2 2 2 2!!!

Good luck with the offer!!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Good luck!!!!

• rgps
    9 years ago

You better let us help you " fix the inside" and please leave the tile for at least a bit. I know it's tempting to try and make things perfect before move in but after you live in a place awhile your priorities of where money and time should be spent change. Even if money is no object. Resist. The one exception I've found is painting if you are sure of the colors.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Good luck with your offer. Glad you went with #2. Gorgeous site and I think you'll be able to fix the inside to be everything you'll want it to be.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

House #2 in a flash! Because you can't install the view in #1.

LEAVE THE TILE!!!! That's a really good Saltillo floor, and it adapts to all kinds of looks. Right now it's obnoxiously orangy because of the washed-out wall colors. Pair it with a pale cream-yellow and it suddenly looks great. Intense jewel tones look good too.

You can also do a lot with tinted wax to make it lighter (whitewash look) or darker.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Hooray for house #2!!! Even if there are things about it that you want to change, I always say you can change your house but the land is the land. I think the tile is pretty, and I'm not usually a tile girl. To me that's an example where the context and execution are suitable. Live with it for a while. One thing to consider in favor of the tile, is that's a house and surroundings that really will lend themselves to a very outdoor lifestyle. With people tracking in and out you might be happy to have tile.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm with rgps and others - the views from house no. 2 are so beautiful as to trump every other factor!

• Sms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So bummed. We can't keep up in the bidding war. Oh well : (

Only hope rgps emerges the winner LOL

• deegw
    9 years ago

Ugh. I am sorry. I know you must be disappointed. Don't those other people know that we want you to get the house so we can give you advice about decorating?

Are you going to try for number one or wait for something else?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Bummer...but you never know. Our last house was in contract when we first saw it so we forgot about it. Then their deal fell through and 6 months later or so it was ours!

• Patty C
    9 years ago

Loved #2, but no doubt you'll end up with something you love even more. We had our heart set on a house that was a foreclosure. Even got friendly with the next door neighbor and gave our number so she could call us as soon as the house was put on the market. She called the minute the sign went up outside and we put in the very 1st offer, and the bank told our realtor it was a good offer (and all cash at that) and we would be getting the house. Well it turned into a bidding war and we also couldn't keep up. We were heartbroken. But within 2 months we found our current home, which turned out to be even better and was a price we could afford.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I'd go with #2 unless you just can't live with the ceilings (which I love btw).

Reasons: It's already got the pool you want and the 4th bedroom without losing the garage. Hiking trails are great if you use them regularly, but if directly behind the house, it's also a way for someone to come into your backyard unexpectedly. (There is a similar area at the end of my street and the people who back up to it complain about that.)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County