Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Undecided....will these curtains work?

mary_lu_gw
9 years ago

In the middle of redoing our guest bedroom. Just finished painting the walls and now looking for sheer curtains. I want to use sheers for the one north facing window to allow as much light as possible into the room. I also have a print that I plan to hang in the room. As our home is 150 yr. old, I want to keep with a "vintage" look but am having a hard time finding the look I want. This is a quick pic of the wall color with the print. The flowers in the picture are red. I will post the sheers I am considering in the next post.

My question is would these sheers look ok even though they have no blue in them? They will compliment the print, I think.

Comments (31)

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are the sheers I found. What say you? Would they work? Or should I keep looking? I did find one pair that was described as a blue/grey but was not floral.

• mdln
    9 years ago

The ipad app ''collage'' has really helped me with these decisions. I think it will all look fine together. The picture mat helps bring the colors together.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

The curtains are pretty. I think white sheers would work better.

• loribee
    9 years ago

What color is the bedding?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

If your trim work paint is more a cream color than white I think it will look very nice! If the trim is stark white it may look just ok.

What do you have,planned for the rest of the room?

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wood work is a creamy white, as is the mat on the print. Bed will be an antique walnut spool bed. Not sure yet on bedding but am thinking on using a handmade crocheted cover that is a creamy white. Could use any color blanket under it. One wall of the room will be floor to ceiling built out closet painted the same as woodwork. Ceilings are 12'. Also thinking to find a rug for the room.

• sameboat
    9 years ago

I absolutely love those curtains and I would use them.

I miss my older home. It had such character. My 1980-something house is lacking something, and those could never work in it. Notice how I called one a home and the other a house? lol

• kswl2
    9 years ago

That sounds like it will all work together Mary Lu. I would try to find a rug with a grayed blue like your walls, cream, beige and the rose and red colors from your print and sheers.

In the right context I think printed sheers are very pretty. Looking forward to seeing your room develop!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm concerned about the warm colored curtain with the cooler walls...sometimes it can cause the curtain to look dingy. I would rather see something with blue in it to go with the walls and use the red as more of an accent in the room. Perhaps something like this (kohl's)

Or I'd rather see a solid color but lacy or embroidered sheer that more closely matches the trim color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loretta window panel

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The wall color may or may not be "cool" as I don't think all blues are automatically. In fact I am starting to hear the terms cool and warm used so frequently it reminds me of the eighties when women "had their colors done" and were afraid to wear anything not in their season, regardless of how good it may have looked on them, lol!

The trim is not white-white. The print looks good against the wall color, and all the colors in the sheers are also in the print. Very white sheers would make the print look dingy, IMO. As it is, the sheers don't look dingy to me but rather, vintage and tea stain colored.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

When I saw the first two pics alone I didn't think it would work but by showing the curtains with the wall, and picture I love it. I think your guest room will be beautiful and indeed vintage looking.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I don't think that picture mat is enough to blend the curtains with the paint color. It is too minor an element in the room.

I would opt for the safer choice of solid white or a printed fabric with white background.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think your best bet is to order the curtain and make sure it's returnable so you can see it in the room. The on line yellows are much brighter than they are IRL so won't give a true rendering. I'm concerned that the yellow in the sheer with the blue in the wall will yield an unpleasant green effect.

I wouldn't pick the main colors in the room (paint and WT and bedding) based on a mat color in a frame which can easily be changed. I'm not sure the off white mat is even the best for that picture....

• rhomy
    9 years ago

I vote yes . The walls become a neutral if you don't add but a touch of their color in the room. Very lovely!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

"I think your best bet is to order the curtain and make sure it's returnable so you can see it in the room. "

What AnnieD said above.....then you will know for sure.

Graywings, I think she said she's leaning towards a cream color for the bedspread, which would be a nice way to pull it all together.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quick reply as am on a very short lunch. All woodwork is a very creamy /yellowy white. Also will have an entire wall of cupboards/closet built out that will be painted the same cream as wood work. There is no true white in the room. Note the baseboard in first picture...approx. 14 inches tall. Will reply in more length tonight after work.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted...duplicate post.

This post was edited by mary_lu on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 13:07

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

May I ask what your wall color is? I am looking for a blue-grey for a bedroom.

• subk3
    9 years ago

Not a fan. I agree that the print is not a big enough design element to hold the two together.

There is something about a sheer that has a printed design that does not look vintage to me regardless of the pattern. Personally, I don't think anything looks more vintage than a white/off white sheer that has some sort of needle work.

An idea for you for something a little different might to be find and old piece of linen--like a fancy old linen table cloth with cut work and white work (embrodorary)--and fashion it into a curtain. These can often be picked up inexpensively. I did this with one of my grandmothers old linen bridge table clothes that had beautiful hand work on it. Much better than having it stuffed in a box in the basement!

This post was edited by subk3 on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 14:09

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. I do think I will order the curtains and see how they look. Colors can be so deceiving on a monitor. Some of the concerns about the lack of blue and warm vs cool is what I was thinking too.

I actually picked the paint color to work with the print. The paint is True Value paint called Skipping Stones. The chip looked grey, but pulled blue in my room. Really surprised me as the formula used black and no blue.

I found another sheer that might work, maybe even better. I think I will try ordering it as well. It is 120" long which would allow me to hang below the widow. The 84" length would have to be an inside mount due to the height of the window.

What do you think of this one? It doesn't say if it is white or off white. Looks like it might be off white.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Love the one you just posted!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Me, too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The blue are much better than the red, but I'm still partial to an embroidered or lace panel...

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I really like lace as well. I have lace in several other rooms, so thought I would try something different in this room. Previously I did have embroidered sheers in this bedroom but cannot use them due to change in color on walls. I really liked the ones you posted above, but they look too white. I have tried white in the past and it just does not look good with the creamy ivory of the wide woodwork and doors.

boop and nosoccermom, I like these last ones better too I think. But of course they are quite a bit more $$$ too! Darn.

• rgps
    9 years ago

The blue ones will be lovely. The pink ones just read old lady to me and didn't play nicely with the blue wall.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I would try both of them. There is an unmistakable vintage vibe to that pink/red cabbage rose print that the blue and white ones can't match.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree. I do plan to order both. There is just something about the first one that says vintage to me, but not old lady. Course I am old...

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I like the first ones with the pic, but don't know if it plays well with the paint.

I like the second ones with the paint but not sure with the print!

As long as you can return the curtains without charge, get both and post pics when you do!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'm so boring, I'd probably go with white on white or lace. And I'm cheap, so I'd probably head to my favorite IKEA.

or Country Curtains

And I'm visual and indecisive, so I'd probably bring home a whole bunch and then have a hard time deciding.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I say Yay! Those first idea sheers will be perfect mary_lu !! You can add color and contrast elsewhere in the room.

This post was edited by sasafras on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 23:13

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I am all over the place. I was looking tonight at some vintage Ralph Lauren drapes (not sheers). They have the vintage vibe I am looking for but just don't know. Also looked at some bark cloth curtains. However both of those tend to have a more "bold" pattern for lack of a better word. Also would block the light much more. Many do have the cabbage rose look. Guess I should just pull the trigger and order the first ones and see how they look.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks