Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyshine3

Need help with Swing Arm Wall Lights

kyshine3
11 years ago

I need help with a small guest bedroom please. I have ordered 2 swing arm wall lights and not sure exactly where to hang them, how far from the bed and how high? Or what do ya�ll think should I get another lamp instead of using the wall lights? I know I need another side table can�t decide to get one to match or something different. I know I need something for the windows but hadn�t found anything yet. Sorry the pictures are not that great. After thinking about it I need suggestion how to decorate this room.

Thank you

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/dcarpenter4012/?action=view&current=IMG_1795_zpsba6b8b3c.jpg

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/dcarpenter4012/?action=view&current=IMG_1797 copy_zps930f3584.jpg

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/dcarpenter4012/?action=view&current=IMG_1795 copy_zps5b13945b.jpg

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/dcarpenter4012/?action=view&current=lamp_zps52f36373.jpg

Comments (14)

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Your guest BR is coming together nicely...I like your ideas. For swing arm lamps, you might find it helpful to see the many pics on houzz.com using them. You'll see the various heights that the lamps were placed. Here's a link to the houzz search. I'll let others offer decorating suggestions. Your #2 pillow is fun looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz search for swing arm lamps[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/swing-arm-lamp-phbr0lbl-bl~l_45538)

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

It is looking great. I'm redoing my daughter's old room into a guest room, and it's quite small. I'm not sure on placement of lamps, but think they're a great idea! Where did you get them? Also, where did you get that nice white coverlet? Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

It'll look nice and it will give the 2nd guest an option for light on or off which only one lamp won't do.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

The trick with swing arm lamps beside the bed is to place them so that they can be positioned to serve as lamps on the night stands, and then swung closer to sit over your shoulder for reading in bed.

As to height, my rule of thumb is, high enough to throw light on the page, but low enough so that the shade keeps me from seeing the bulb itself. The nearly perfect height puts the bottom edge of the shade 22" higher than the surface of the mattress.

I like to use ones with 3-way switches, so that the light can be bright enough for reading, and soft enough for other times.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

here are your pics - you just copy and paste the html code from the pic and paste in your message

width=400>
    width=450>
    width=450>

• kyshine3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sujafr - thank you for the link to Houzz really has some great ideas

Lake Girl I ordered the lamps from Lamps Plus, after the fact I did see some similar ones at Lowes. But the display at Lowes the lamp part was not level I'm hoping my won't have the same issue. The white quilt, pillow shams, euro pillows and No. 2 pillow all from Stein Mart.

Thanks AnnieDeighnaugh

Thank you so much bronwynsmom for the information, according to the description the lamps has dimmers

Olychick I appreciative you taking time to post the pictures, i really did try last night to figure out how to post with no luck as you saw.. Then tonight I was the How To

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

We just put swing arm lamps in our bedroom. I love reading in bed and was tired of fighting the lamp on my nightstand.

I wish I'd had bronswynsmom 22 inches advice two weeks ago. It would have made placement much more efficient. What we did was...I sat on the bed propped up by pillows with book in hand. Dh held the light at varying heights until I was happy. Like bronswynsmom, I wanted the light, but I did NOT want to see the bulb from the corner of my eye. Because I really wanted reading light, we placed them just a couple of inches from the bed--not too far away or it would have been just like the lamp.

I LOVE my swing arms...I got mine from Lamps Plus, too. One thing I really enjoy is the dimmer switch...it is great to have bright light for reading and soft light for other times.

I can't believe I waited so long to buy them.

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

If it does not come w/a dimmer try one of these...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lolauren
    11 years ago

Pottery Barn sells some of these, and I used their photos to guide me in placement..... at least in terms or what looks nice and balanced. (So, check out their pictures if you haven't already.)

As others did, I also figured out the right level to light up what I'm reading without having to stare into a bulb.

• kyshine3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Had to laugh Happyintexas because that was going to be my plan until Bronwynsmom great information

Thanks Forboystoo and Lolauren letting know about the dimmer, the lamps came in today however hadn't had time to open the box yet.. Plan to go shopping this weekend so if they don't have dimmers for sure will add to my list!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Glad to help, and am looking forward to seeing them when they're up!

Oh - and cord covers, too, if they didn't come with them.
    They are among those little details that make all the difference.

If you have to buy some, and can't match your finish, there are paintable ones you can match to your walls.

• kyshine3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bronwynsmom no they didn't but plan on going to Lowes that's a great suggestion to paint the wall color. Lamps are here but they might be to big for the wall.. In a hurry tonight to take pictures.. Really hope i can use just hate dealing with shipping them back

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'm not seeing in your photo how they would be too big for the wall. Lamps are among the things that I think should be generous in proportion.

Take a photo of your DH holding one in place, and let us all shower you with our opinions before you decide??!!

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6