Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnatemp

Fabric work in guest room?

johnatemp
15 years ago

I love this Bosporus toile so much. I have the existing green silk shade & bedskirt. Bedding is an old tablecloth my Granny made & did the stitch work on. I would like to cover a bench & make accent pillows. Do you think it works? What about with exsisting crewel chair? Too much? Eeek , see the pic needs to come down some. I really wanted to upholster the walls in this fabric but my $$ tree didn't grow!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Also, as always, trying to make do with what I have....I was thinking about hanging this mirror with 4 botanicals flanking it above the chair(to be slipcovered in neutral linen) I have soooooo many big holes in my walls, I thought I'd ask first??

{{!gwi}}

Thanks.

Smiles:)

Comments (12)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

You got me with the word "fabric" -- I had to peek even though it is well past my bedtime!

I love your fabrics and the story about your grandmother's handwork is beautiful -- what a special piece! Maybe it's my monitor but I'm having a hard time seeing the patterns / colors of the pieces you laid on the bed, so it's hard for me to say how they'd go with that great crewelwork chair. My initial thought is the chair has too much blue for your textiles, but you know, in feel they may all work splendidly together. I'm so sorry I just cannot tell!

That being said, the mirror is just wrong for your lovely room -- it is Arts & Crafts in feel and, based on your photos, I don't see anything else like that in your pretty room. I love the idea of the botanicals, but that mirror is a big flashing "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong."

Your dog is darling. 'Nighty-night!

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

When in doubt, less is more. I think one larger piece (bed) with a print is fine, play off of that, but when you get too many patterns and prints and styles going it gets messy.

I don't think that chair in the corner would go with any of your fabric choices, I would recover it in one of the toned down fabrics you make some pillows out of.

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rmkitchen, thank you I needed to hear a big fat NO on the mirror!! I just go dig thru the attic and pull out stuff I don't use. It is Arts & Crafts style that goes over a dresser. Man, I am soooo cheap!! Okay, so what then!!!

Michelle, do you mean the crewel chair in the corner not going? I really want to work with the crewel chair - it is probably one of the nicest chairs/fabrics I own.

Here is a straight on - professional shot of the fabric in question. Just for 2 pillows on the bed & cover a bench.

Thanks!!

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

If you want to work from the chair, then all the rest of your fabrics won't work. I would go for very simple, clean, neutral bedding with a few throw pillows made from using your chair as a color inspiration.

• msrose
    15 years ago

I love that toile so much that I'd cover the chair in the corner with it. Is that Wilmington Tan on the walls?

Laurie

• les917
    15 years ago

I don't see the mirror in that room - the room has a more Victorian feel, and the mirror is Arts and Crafts. I do think the four botanicals hung in a close grouping (two over two, perhaps) would be pretty.

I would use the Bosporous down in the LR on the two chairs you want to recover (from your other thread). If you love it, then use it where you can see it and appreciate it often. Or, use it for pillows down there, at least.

For your chair, you might try to find something that kind of pulls the colors together. This one appears to have some of the greens and blues and warm beiges in it, but is still basically a neutral feel for a slipcover.

rio grande gazebo

Love the crewel chair - don't touch it!

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am stumped!!
    I have NO idea about what to do with this room!!
    I do not want it to have a Victorian feel to it. I am not opposed to painting the room or even wallpaper. Upholstering the bed?? The crewel chair (it is a hand me down from inlaws but they do buy very nice furniture) doesn't even have to go in there or the other club chair. Needlepoint pillow - does that make it look Victorian? The pitcher & side table don't have to stay either!!

I feel so overwhelmed but want to get this house in order so I can have a p~a~r~t~y~ !! I have lots of things that need to get done. I hope yall don't get sick of me:)

Msrose, yes it is the Wilmington tan.
    Rm - yes, that doggie might be cute but he is a stubborn - not potty training - mess of a dog!! I do love him, thou:) But he is evil, I tell ya, evil:)

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is my meek little cry.....Help!!

From the last girl being picked at PE class! Thats what I feel like.....nobody have any suggestions??

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

First, my heart aches for you about the potty-training -- that would drive me INSANE! But you love them so what are you going to do, right? (I'm an animal lover myself and lately one of our cats has been peeing just outside the litter box -- the smell! And I'm pretty furious about it, but it's not like there's anything I can really do about it. Grr. [No, it's not a UTI -- we checked.])

Okay, back to your room. I don't think you are cheap for wanting to reuse a mirror you already own (I think you are actually pretty smart), I just think it doesn't make sense in that pretty room.

Truthfully, (other than the mirror) the only thing which isn't working for me (visually) is the crewelwork chair (because of the blue). I am head-over-heels in love with crewelwork, but it's the blue which is fighting what you already have (the bedskirt / window covering).

So let's remove the crewelwork chair from the equation.

I think the Bosporus toile goes well with your existing window covering / bedskirt, so go for it!

Where will you put the bench you want to upholster in the toile? If you do accent pillows in the toile, will you make enough to also toss one on the neutral-linen slipcovered chair? Could you make a slipcover of the toile instead (of the neutral linen)? For your bed's (toile) accent pillows, I'd love to see some in either a neckroll or rectangular shape -- just to break it up some.

And by the way, I totally hear you about the money tree! I keep planting and planting, but so far, none have produced ....

I agree, I think the picture hanging above the bedside table (to the right of the bed) could come down just a smidge. I like the color on your walls -- it ties in with what you're doing (although I am also a fan of toile on walls, so I understand your dream of doing that!). You've already got that great bedskirt / window covering, your grandmother's coverlet, and the botanicals, so you're most of the way there! (Do you have any other large frames in your home you could repurpose? [to use as a mirror] Because I do think it's thoughtful to have a good-sized mirror in your guest room.)

Now it's just buying up a ton of that Bosporus toile and sewing. Listen, were you planning on getting it from Calico Corners? Because it's currently on sale there (not a huge difference, but it does add up!).

Sorry for being all over the place -- Li'l Bit is napping and Big Bit is at nursery school, so I am trying to get a ton of stuff done in this precious quiet period but instead I'm just scattered!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I hadn't seen your post until you bumped it up.

That toile is one of my favorites! I can see why you like it.

The reason it doesn't work with your chair is that the size of the pattern is too similar. The "rule", lol, is to have one large print, one small print and then either a stripe and a plaid/check.

Don't suppose you could use the chair downstairs? Don't suppose you could make a duvet/comforter out of the toile? :) The stripe and color you have on the bedskirt look to be a good fit.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I hadn't seen this post before either-- and well, because my time is limited lately, I pick a few to respond to and stick with. My perimenopausal brain can't follow more than a few posts at a time.

Anyhow.. I LOVE the bosporous toile-- in fact, I order there very same (flax?) myself last week. I have no idea where I will use it-- but I must have it somewhere.

I agree with rmKitchen and Parma. The crewel chair is lovely but fighting you. I am sure you can find a place where you will appreciate it just as much or more-- remove the chair and the rest of the room pulls together nicely.

I'd also love to see the toile in a duvet and/or curtains or valance. Keep your plan for a linen linen slipcover (and keep the throw) on the chair. Add a throw rug or two. It will be gorgeous, inviting and comfy.

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for clearing it up for me.

I truly couldn't SEE & visualize where I wanted to be in there...it just seemed like a hodge podge!!

So, if the crewel chair is not working that makes so much sense - I think I will slipcover IT!! The bench goes in a dormer window. The fabric on the club chair works with the bosporus. Found an antique mirror that I have been wanting to use & framed the botanicals around it. Now just get the fabric & Roll ON!!

funky, I love that in the flax - it is sooooo gorgeous - can't wait to see what you do with it.

Rm - thanks for the link to Calico - sh#t, now I have to go down there if they are having a sale!! But, I have found it locally for 14.99.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living