Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Island corbels/brackets - how many is right?

User
9 years ago

If you've been following along, the island will soon have different bb and be painted.

I never thought the placement of the current corbels looked right. FWIW, I still actually like the current corbels.

1. Should there be corbels or brackets?

2. If so, is the correct way to have two on the short side and three on the long side?

If I replace what I have, I think I'd like something simple.

Oh, and years ago I thought it would be neat to have lights under the island. Why I don't know. To highlight crumbs on the floor I guess. DH seems to love them, but we never use them. Point being, I'll have to remove them if I do the two and three placement.

Thanks!

old pic - lots of changes will happen soon
{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• User
    9 years ago

They shoud be located every 24''-30'' and extend to within 6'' of the edge of the counter.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We used one small one in the middle of our 8' island overhang. It is for support and is not noticeable. Since we sit at the island, we didn't want them in the way of our knees.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would replace those because I think they're too long and look like they get in the way of knees turning out to get off stools and walk away.

A third in the middle would really hamper knee room, IMO.

Personally, I'd go with corbels, simple and short, and only two on the long side, none on the short side.

Or, do corner corbels on all four corners.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I think some painted corbels like whatâÂÂs shown below would look great with the new island details. This corbel is shorter and doesnâÂÂt interfere as much with leg room, and should be painted to match your island wood. They are customarily placed every 12-16â under granite, so since you are using a lighter weight countertop, you have more flexibility on spacing. I would do two on the long side, each 6â from the end.

The top of the corbel measurement is supposed to be 1/2 the width of the countertop overhang - so you would need to gauge your sizing with this requirement in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: corbels

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly - Thanks!

Annie - Do I actually need support? It's solid surface if that matters. I was leaning toward the decorative angle. They're actually ok getting on and off the stools, but I'm short so that may have something to do with it. I could see where three might be a problem. I always wondered about islands where I saw lots of large corbels close together.

Tibbrix - They're 13-1/2" L to the bottom of the corbel. How long are you thinking? 8" or 9"?

I don't seem many islands with the overhang also on the side unless there's the skirt and legs - which I like, but the counter is rounded and that's just one more thing........

The island is 25" x 60" or something like that. I'll have to measure later.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If it were my island, I'd use something like this, cut out in the back in order to slide in to the corners, maybe 7 - 8 inches long.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Your pictures seems to illustrate that you have Corian or a similar acrylic for your counters. Usually, the material has plywood below to provide support. There is not the same type of weight for Corian as for stone, and I doubt your current material, with such a short overhang even requires brackets or corbels for support. See images of Corian counters included.

I think your current supports were possibly selected to coordinate withe the overhead light fixture. If you're planning to update the kitchen, that would be one of the first items I would replace and I would remove the brackets too and not replace them.

• User
    9 years ago

Sorry, the recommendation I gave was for stone. Corian isn't that different in needing brackets for proper support though. It will have ply under it at the overhangs, but ply WILL flex if weight is applied, resulting in a crack in the counter. I used to have a desk that had a giant crack in it where someone sat on a corner and the ply flexed. What I would do is a few pieces of 1/4âÂÂâ steel reinforcement under the ply, painted to match the color of the top. They would be invisible, yet prevent flex.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the idea of corbels, esp. if you're upgrading your kitchen. I think they graduate a kitchen from a beginner home to one with more architectural heft and detail, and therefore sophistication.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

We put on three metal brackets similar to yours. We had to take the outer one off because it scratched the knees of our grandson. Right now we have just two on our breakfast bar.....looks sort of weird and will change when the grands get old enough to sit at the table with usl.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You need to check with your installer as to how much distance and support is required for your solid surface. If you do need them, you can decide if you want them decorative or just functional. They may be able to use metal L brackets which won't show at all if that's the look you want.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Nanny! Sorry, your response didnâÂÂt show up earlier!
    Thank you so much for the info and suggestions! I like those corbels a lot and thatâÂÂs the looks I was picturing. The ones I have now, the edge of the corbel closest to the side of the island is in not quite 5âÂÂ. The width of the corbel is 1-1/2" wide.

âÂÂThe top of the corbel measurement is supposed to be 1/2 the width of the countertop overhang.âÂÂ
    The depth of the current corbels are 7â and the overhang is 10âÂÂ.

Tibbrix -" IâÂÂm going to have to search for some photos. IâÂÂm having a hard time picturing that.

Beverly - Yes, theyâÂÂre solid surface and there is plywood underneath. I originally did select the current corbels from a decorative stand point.
    Thanks for the mock up. The cabinets will be stained dark and at this point IâÂÂm leaning towards painting the island a lighter color. I believe IâÂÂm going to need to see the cabinets done and the walls before I can decide.

Holly- Yikes! Good to know about the potential cracks.

I didnâÂÂt think I needed the brackets really for support since it wasnâÂÂt stone and wasnâÂÂt too worried about it, but probably something I should consider.

I know I asked if there should be corbels, but I think IâÂÂve decided I do want them at least from a decorative stand point.