Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

Help! Need to fit 3 cm backsplash and 23" deep cooktop

nutsaboutplants
9 years ago

We're putting in new granite countertops and backsplash in a house we just bought.The stone is Cinderella Gold, a beautiful granite with large movement. I'd like the same 3 cm granite for the backsplash and am running into a problem with the depth of the gas cooktop. I need a 36" cooktop and a pop-up downdraft. The minimum depth of the cooktop and the pop up downdraft I can fine is 23". (21 for the cooktop and 2 for the downdraft.) the 23" and the 3 cm granite backsplash seem too deep for the countertop. The fabricator says he can find 22.5" at the most for the cooktop+downdraft. The only thing I can find that's less than 22.5" is a jennair downdraft that is not a pop up and has very poor reviews for ventilation.
Does this mean I have to abandon the granite backsplash idea and go with tile backsplash? I've heard they can shave a 3 cm granite to 2 cm. Is that an option? If so, how expensive is it to cut a 3 cm to 2 cm. Are there any other options out there that will allow me to accommodate both the 21" cooktop 2" downdraft and the 3 cm backsplash?

Please help! All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

If I were you I would post this on the Kitchens forum.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gray wings, great suggestion. Yes, I did post it on Kitchens too right before I posted it here and got some good feedback. I posted it here in case someone here had run into the same issues. Thanks gray wings!

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I just had a 3cm thick by 6" high granite backsplash cut to about 3/4" thick because it looked too bulky against the wall in full thickness. My granite fabricator said it was no problem to cut the granite this thin. I didn't ask for a cost breakout to do this cut, but I don't think it was much as the overall cost for the job was reasonable. Since they are not polishing the back side of the granite where the material would be cut away, it just involves a saw cut.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

One of my DD's had a full granite backsplash installed 7 years ago when countertops were installed, and recently told me she's having the backsplash ripped out. She hates it because her kitchen looks like a 'sea of granite', and I have to agree~it's just tooooooo much. She'll have a tile installed, but hasn't made a decision on that yet. Just giving you something to think.

I have granite countertop but chose a travertine backsplash that is only about 12" on the interior cabs. On the perimeter cabs I chose not to have anything, but have been considering a couple of different options, neither of which is tile.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kudzu, that's good to know. I'll ask the fabricator tomorrow. If they can do that, that'd be ideal.

Patty cakes, I hear you. The current house has a huge island (granite), countertops on three sides (granite) and the backsplash fortunately is travertine. The new house doesn't have an island, far less countertop area and a 42 inch sink and very low backsplash only on one side, all of which limits the total area the granite will be on. I wanted granite on the backsplash particularly on the center of the wall behind the cooktop because there is one spot in the stone that's as intriguing and beautiful as a painting. Just wanted to give that little piece a visible spot, mainly for my own private enjoyment as it will be the only vertical area. However, after much thought and thinking about the feedback from the kitchens forum, I think I'll go with tile for the backsplash.

Thank you!

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

The reason I like a granite backsplash with a granite countertop is that - if the granite has a noticeable figure -- the fabricator can match the back edge of the countertop with the bottom edge of the backsplash and get the pattern to flow from the countertop right up the wall.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kudzu, I fully understand. That's my reason too for wanting that specific stone on the backsplash. I'm still trying to figure it out. Getting some ideas from the knowledgeable folks on the kitchens forum. Will post pictures of the new floors, paint and countertop, etc when it is all done. The new house has a monster garden (it is actually beautiful, just extensive. Trying to find a less corporate landscape/horticulturist to take care of it.)
    Thanks for the input and please add any comments/suggestions if anyone here has run into this problem. Thanks.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler