Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailormass

Which Bathroom Color with New Tile Do You Prefer

sailormass
11 years ago

Hi--My tiling is not quite done yet, but I'd love some opinions re: color to complement it in the rest of the bathroom.

The tile is a faux travertine ceramic tile. The first color is BMoore's Pearl Harbor, which I liked very much before the tiling, though the tiling now makes parts of the bathroom seem a little yellowish (this might be due to the bulbs in the vanity).

The second color, which I'll post a pic of below, is BMoore's Guesthouse. Again, looks good except for by the vanity, where it looks like it has a bit of a yellow hue (I sense light bulb issues).

All other things being equal, I think I'd prefer the lighter Pearl Harbor but have gotten some good reactions from neighbors and friends to the Guesthouse.

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Comments (18)

• sailormass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another pic of the room with Pearl Harbor

• sailormass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pic with the B Moore Guesthouse paint.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Neither. You need something that contrasts with the tile and vanity colors, not something that makes it all blend in where you barely notice it.

I'd suggest a warm grassy green like Behr Grass Cloth.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Pearl harbor is pretty...i used a lot of it in my house, but it is too yellow.

My Master bath colors are very similar to yours and I used BM Powell Buff on the walls and Copper Mountain on the ceiling. Trim is BM Bone.

• sailormass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, hollysprings and Annie. I need to stay away from greens, though it's a good idea, because my bedroom that adjoins the bath is a mint green color. I like the idea of a distinctive buff/cream color.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I'd pull out one of the lighter cream tones in the tile and use that. I think the tile would stand out beautifully against it.

• les917
    11 years ago

Love your tile!

In this case, neither. I would pull the very lightest background color from your tiles, the ones that are very light with the distinctive striping in them. That will fight the least with the mint green in the bedroom,but will also let your amazing tile be the star of the show!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You could go with the taupe shade in the tile as well.

No green in a bathroom....MIL painted her bath green and the light reflecting on your face cast a green tinge...made everyone look seasick. That's why I always go for warm, peach or pinky shades in a bath so everyone looks healthy!

• sas95
    11 years ago

We have a travertine-ish porcelain and also went with Powell Buff. We really struggled with the paint in this room and Powell Buff was the only one we found that worked.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'm swimming upstream here...I think the paint and tile should be all of a piece, and let the texture of the tile set it apart. So I vote for Guesthouse.

In a room as small as a bathroom, a lot of contrast can make it look disjointed. I think matching the tile makes it more appealing and interesting, not less.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Agree with the lightest cream in the tile.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Guesthouse. Maybe even more so, i.e. deeper, sort of like the color of AnnieDeigh's counter top, but slightly more gold. I've done monochromatic baths before and really like them. (Sorry, I do not have a Ben Moore deck.)

• sailormass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! Seems like everyone has the same dilemma I do--light cream-ish to contrast with the tile or richer and darker to complement it!

Decisions, decisions . . . .

• sailormass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more questions, kind Gardenweb-ers: what kind of glass door would you recommend? I could go with a top-quality sliding door, which I think the four by four is just big enough, or a panel and door or two doors?

• teacats
    11 years ago

Another vote for a creamy tone .....

Benjamin Moore Baked Cumin 1062

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Re your glass door... I haven't personally ever seen a sliding door that I'd prefer over a swinging door and I'd want as little hardware as possible to show off that gorgeous tile. I'd go with a frameless door and panel... definitely no header rail!

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Something like this....

[Traditional Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by San Francisco Design-build Design Discoveries

You'll notice this shower has a soffit with its tiled ceiling which might help with your previous question in the Bath forum.

• sailormass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Treasuretheday--what a gorgeous shower! You've convinced me to do the panel plus door!

Incidentally, a couple of people have asked me about the tile I used. It's a ceramic called Skabos made by Cenit (a Spanish company--usually readily available at most tile showrooms). Economical but great quality and it looks just like travertine--it is even tumbled, though you can get a glossy version. It comes in 3 by 6 (which I have) and also a larger, long vertical size. The pattern was the suggestion of the manager of the tile store I use.

I'll post another pic when it's complete. Thanks, everybody for your help!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions