Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting metal headboard and curtain rod for shabby chic??

Posted by Scarlett001 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 23:11

I am redoing my formal Victorian bedroom into shabby chic design. My headboard, curtain rod (and bedside table) all are dark brown metal. I would like to redo the paint of these items in light shabby chic colours but have no idea what steps are involved in painting over metal. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I have to do or provide a web link or something?? I have no idea where to begin so thank you for any ideas. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting metal headboard and curtain rod for shabby chic??

My email is crashed or I would give you a list of great sites for what you want to do. Favorite is FunkyJunk Interiors. If you go to her site there are many other links to find what you want to do. May take a while to get the right blog, but a fun time looking at all the creative redo so well done. They have weekly project themes on all and you can run a search.

I too want to change out my mahogany metal curtain rods to a light aged look. Metal takes on spray paint well. Use a gray metal spray primer first. Then whatever color you want. Metal spays will be shiny, so a final spray of clear in your finish will tone down. If you want to age the pieces, do so before the final spray.

Auto paint is another option and definitely a stronger coverage. But most spray paints off the shelf have become far better than once was. They seem to cover and go a long way than before.

I have done my metal bed and it has held up great. The curtain rods are up for grabs since drapes will move across the top and not sure how well that will hold up.

Here is a link for painting beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to paint a metal bed links/pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here