Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this front door go with my house?

Posted by EricWww (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 23:00

I have the opportunity to buy this door at a very good price. It's fiberglass and has sidelights (obviously). Wonder if it's apppropriate for my obviously older house. I posted this house a while ago, been busy on other projects haven't opened up the entry way yet.

I like the door design, but also want to check with others as this is likely the last door this house will have for a very long time :)

The house (these are older pictures but you can see what the existing wood door and side lights look like. I plan on opening up the siding cladded entryway. The existing door is warped pretty bad and the side lights are single pane non tempered glass. I tried to straighten and refinish it but it didn't do so well :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this front door go with my house?

I love the existing sidelights. Can you just get a new door that compliments the sidelights?

o

I really don't like that door for your house. Actually, I really don't like that door at all. I know there are a lot of these doors with caned glass inserts in various shapes, but I just don't know where I would ever use one.

I, too, like the sidelights. have you considered a traditional 6-panel door? or if you're wanting more light, maybe a 6-panel with glass panes in the top two, or in all six panels?

o

I like your current sidelights. The door that you posted reminds me of an 80's subdivision.

o

The house style is too modern for that style of door.

o

I would say no, it does not go. It does not relate to the style of your house in any way.

I would look for something more like what you currently have-- straight lines w/o a lot of flourishes.

o

Another resounding no, sorry.

o

I like your current sidelights. The door that you posted reminds me of an 80's subdivision.

My thoughts exactly. I would keep searching for something with very simple lines, as anele suggests.

o

Alright I'm glad I asked. I actually started refinishing the existing sidelights. There's some good looking wood under that ugly yellow paint. I plan on spar polyurethaning it and exposing the nice wood grain.

o

another no.

o

Good decision, Eric. I wish our ranch had your sidelights! Very nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here