Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peach32_gw

What's your favorite grey for a bedroom?

peach32
12 years ago

Would love to see pics of any greys you may have used in your bedrooms. I had picked SW Pavestone but now I'm afraid it's too dark. Thank you!

Comments (28)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

My favorite grays are all from the BM paint strip that has Baltic Gray on it. I'm using all of those colors everywhere. And it really doesn't give the feel of the same old gray everywhere. I use different grays and then the lighting comes into play, plus the accessories.

My bedroom is Willow Creek.

Just a sidenote of something I just learned. Cutie pie Nate Berkus often refers to his go to gray as a Dior Gray....however, I never felt that his rooms looked like BM's Dior Gray. That's because they are not! Just found an older magazine with the detail--it's Behr Gray Area. Ahh, decorating mystery solved.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohhhh, very pretty!! Thanks for sharing! How odd that Nate would not have his facts straight. I bet there are a lot of rooms painted Dior Gray out there that have people scratching their heads.

• purrus
    12 years ago

gorgeous!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

thanks.

I think when he says Dior Gray, it refers to Dior, the designer and the color of a Dior Gray suit...that's what I'm thinking. Even in the article in the magazine it said something like "he chose a Dior gray, Behr's Gray Area".

Now you see the confusion that this created on all those design blogs!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Revere Pewter is another fave - grey but not cold - it is popular with lots of GW'ers.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

No pic, but we used EK Pumice and we just completely love it.

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

I've read that Bm boothbay Gray is a great gray for a bedroom.

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

We used SW6247 Krypton in a bedroom of a previous home and I loved it. It seems to have just a hint of blue. I plan to use it in our next home, too.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Also a fan of BM Revere Pewter. I agree with beekeeperwife, that lighting and accessories go a long way towards accentuating the mood you wish to achieve.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Another vote for Revere Pewter. We recently painted our bedroom in RP. It's such a versatile color.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

BM Classic Gray at 200%. It's very light and warm while still distinctly gray, and gets tons of comments.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some great choices--thanks!!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

My favorite grey for a bedroom is SW Requisite Grey. The lighter shades on the strip seem to have more maroon in the tint and the darker you go in the strip the browner-grey it gets. It looks awesome w/ blues, pinks and lots of other colors.

Check it out in the Country Living House of the Year 2008 in the Bathroom and I think it may have been used in other areas of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Living House of the Year 2008 Requisite Gray

• sis3
    12 years ago

EK Gustavian Grey. It's like being inside a cloud.

At night

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is a great thread! I "painted" a bedroom using SW's Color Visualizer.

Here's Pavestone:

{{!gwi}}

Here's SW Requisite Grey:

{{!gwi}}

and here's SW Krypton:

{{!gwi}}

My trim (crown and base molding) is white but I could not figure out how to change the pre-selected coordating trim colors on the Visualizer. The Krypton is too blue for me and since I only have one West facing window, I'm afraid Pavestone would be too dark. Plus, I have painted a little of it (Pavestone) on 3 walls already and it looks different on all 3 walls.

I don't know if BM has the same sort of "painting" program on their site--I will check. I will also post pics of my bedding later. It's very light/neutral so I think it needs the Pavestone (or similar, like Beekeepers) to make it pop. I love the Req. Grey, though.

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's what I went with: BM Willow Creek. (Thanks Bee!) I love it....such a soothing color. I'm not through decorating (I found ONE mirror like yours Bee--I am so in love with them). I will keep looking for its mate. Did you get them at TJMaxx by any chance?? {{!gwi}}

• homeagain
    12 years ago

We are getting ready to paint my son's bedroom gray and I am trying to decide between three colors all by BM. Edgecomb Gray, Revere Pewter and Gray Owl.

I like the looks of Requisite Gray too and will have to check that one out.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Perfect timing peach -I"m on the same quest! Getting ready to paint my son's bedroom. Since he is away at college most of the year, it will serve as a guest room as well. Does your room get much light? Since mine doesn't, I've been trying to incorpirate what I've learned about LRV, (here at GW, thanks to funcolors, mostly). The higher the LRV number, the more light is reflected back into the room. I'm nervous about it looking gloomy or dingy if I don't pay attention to that.

Another thing I'm trying to take into account is the overall look and feel of the room. In my case I'm thinking crisp and clean -what about you?

I'll be following this post as I narrow my choices down...

• catkin
    12 years ago

SW Analytical Gray--LOVE it!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

EK Gustavian Grey is a lovely color, but at my house it is definitely blue, not gray.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Peach, Glad you like it! My mirrors behind the lamps are from, ok, everybody say it with me..."Home Goods". I swear, what am I going to do when I move and the closest one is not close enough??? This will make my dh happy.

Keep looking for the mate, check out Marshalls, HG, and other TJ Maxx's. Right now is what I call "mirror season", they are swimming in mirrors at my local HG. They seem to have waves of inventory.

• pps7
    12 years ago

My guest room is currently BM Silver FOx.

• kittymerr
    12 years ago

My favorite grey is Muslin by California Paints. It is a warm, grey with undertones of a little blue and a little green. Gorgeous!

• peach32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So many great greys--not enough rooms!! bestyears--I answered your question yesterday but it didn't post. I only have one West-facing window that has a tree in front of it. But, my room is not too dark at all. And, I think this is the most soothing/calming color I have ever had. Bee, I looked at a HomeGoods and a couple of Marshalls, 2 more TJMaxx's and no luck. BUT, I found a pair of mirrors at TJMaxx that I love and that work at tying in my goldish-khaki colored bedding and pillows w/the gray. I will hang the single mirror (like yours) horizontally over my upright piano in my LR--it looks awesome. Here are some bad cellphone pics of the two bedroom mirrors:

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• hopmom
    12 years ago

I have BM Cape Hateras Sand in my dining room -- everyone loves it and has been asking me for the color. It would work nicely in a bedroom.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

peach -so, so pretty! I looked Willow Creek up and the LRV is 35.2 -so I'm glad I'm learning here about the importance of that in a room with little natural light. A year ago, I'd have just run out and copied you -but now I realize why it won't look the same in my room. I plan to collect a bunch of samples this weekend and try them out. I'll keep you posted.

• cheerpeople
    12 years ago

You can see 3 bedrooms in my photobucket album member there also cheerpeople. I've labelled them. I have a wall of 'requisite gray',
    and SW' alpaca' rooms and a room of sw 'March wind', which may be my favorite... hard to say..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Here is Revere Pewter - :-)