Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie_thiel

Designing beyond "signature styles"

edie_thiel
9 years ago

This is a spin-off from the "Bad experiences with ID" thread.

Many members mentioning the IDs tastes differing from their own and that IDs having cookie-cutter looks.

And Pal's statement:
"So to some extent it may be difficult to find an interior designer who is well rounded, well versed in antiques and architectural history (even if you don't work in those styles you should understand history) *and* run a good business. Unfortunately I think a lot of designers have some decent skills about making a room pretty within a very limited set of their own parameters and that's about it."

I could never be an ID because I think I would have a very difficult time designing in a style that I don't personally like. And I think that a person who can recognize the different styles, recognize them when a client is describing them in abstract terms about what s/he likes, and then execute the design to the client's satisfaction would be a "gem" of an ID.

For example, I think Candice Olson does beautiful work, but it would not fit my lifestyle or the style of my house. And, her rooms all seem to have the same colors and furniture/accessory styles. I think you have to be drawn to her style in order to hire her and be thrilled with the result. I'm sure that she could do plenty of other styles, but I think her comfort level would be in her "signature style," so that's why you would go to her.

I wonder how many IDs can step out of their areas of preferred design to meet a client's needs?

So, how many styles would you be comfortable designing or decorating?

Personally, I would struggle. I'm just struggling with my "own style," and that's enough right now. LOL!

Any stories?

Comments (2)

• selcier
    9 years ago

I think I could design something in a limited number of other styles. Some I would be lost with though (ones I really dislike).

I feel like there is plenty of inspiration out there for any style. But understanding what someone wants when they don't know/can't describe what they want would be really difficult.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

My background is in graphic design. I truly believe that once you understand the principles of design, you can design just about anything. The more diverse experience the better.

If one has a solid foundation of design fundamentals and core knowledge, then it's just another design challenge with research to do, criteria and specifications to meet, and clients to please.

Different scenarios will have unique challenges and that's where experience designing in specific capacities is a huge advantage. If the task aligns with a personal aesthetic then it's serendipity. If it doesn't, no big deal. A good designer will still have a well-rounded arsenal of knowledge and skills to draw from in order to meet criteria, specifications and please the client.

I often wonder about ego and interior design. So much emphasis is put on a flair, an eye, a knack, an intuition for designing that a solid foundation, core knowledge base is totally dismissed or glossed over.

Either because it does not exist at all or because ego steps in and that "signature style" business is awarded more importance than actual knowledge and skill set.

And then there's marketing. I'm sure it's easier to sell a "package". It's easier to make money if you define and package a "signature style" and focus on selling just that one thing. As opposed to trying to market design as a craft, trade, skill set.

For example, you're not buying design services from Candice Olson. Rather you're buying her pre-packaged signature style. One size fits most kinda thing.