Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryleb_gw

Stencil immitation of wallpaper

cheryleb
10 years ago

I am almost finished my dining room now. Today we did the feature wall stencil. Unfortunately, it is really hard to get a good picture because the crystal chandelier casts shadows. I took one earlier but it isn't great.

I am posting my inspiration picture and the wall we did. I don't think the pics do it justice but need to wait until it is light out to get better ones and didn't want to wait. :)

Inspiration pic

My dining room wall.

What do you think?

Comments (19)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I think it looks fantastic! How long did that take? Is yours a metallic like it looks in the inspiration photo?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Wow!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Cool!!!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

That is amazing!! I can barely believe it's a stencil - just because it looks so complicated, yet perfect. Great job!

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I have that wallpaper picked (in black) but because of removing wallpaper from our previous house I am tentative.

Stenciling is so much smarter. Where did you find the stencil? Was it hard? Did you have help? What are your recommendations?

And, to answer your question, it looks great!

If I do it I am going to use the current paint color in gloss mixed with a valspar metallic glaze.

I would rather stencil than wallpaper but I was tempted because I love the look.

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much.
    Martia, it took us about 2.5 hours and the wall is a little over 10'. I used a flat paint as the base and the semi-gloss of the same paint over top. I had planned to use metallic and then saw pics of gloss over flat and changed my mind.

Faux68, I bought the stencil from stencil envy on etsy. There were two of us doing it and it helped to have a second set of hands for the edges. We started at the top which left just over an inch to fill in. If I do it again, I will plan it to have a more open part of the stencil on the edge at the top. The rest was fairly easy.

We were hoping to get a nice outcome but we were surprised that it wasn't too difficult and the spots we thought were not great, looked good when they dried. We overlapped one pattern top to bottom when moving and should have done one side to side too. It isn't perfect, but looks better than we had hoped.

Here is a close up.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Love it!!! I want to stencil my LR because it looks dead (few windows, not a lot of pattern, etc.). Wallpapering is gorgeous but a commitment. Stenciling can be so customized.

Yours is really beautiful. Would love to see the rest of the room!

• loribee
    10 years ago

I love it, too and can't wait to see the whole room!~

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Great job! Can't believe you did it in 2.5 hours. Really nice.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that only took 2.5 hours to do. That's amazing!

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful!

ML

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Looks great!

I'll have to check out that etsy shop, thanks for the tip! For others looking, Cutting Edge Stencils also has some great patterns.

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We put the mirror in today and T is installing the blinds as I type. Getting closer. I will post final pics when it is done but here is the update with today's addition.

• kellysar
    10 years ago

Looks stunning!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Wow-- look at that mirror. Beautiful choices!!!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Wow! Great job.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

It makes more sense to me that it would take 2.5 days, not hours! You are so talented and I am so impressed. Looks stunning with that mirror. Looking forward to seeing more of the room.

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made a mistake on where I got the stencil. It was a store called Stencil Boss on Store Envy. I am adding a link. I also looked at Cutting Edge and they have another one I may buy called Lily Scroll but I wanted the one like the wallpaper and Stencil Boss was the only place I could find it.

Natesgram, I was amazed at how quickly it went. The only thing that took much time was finished the edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stencil

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It looks gorgeous!