Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I redo a pillow that came with a chair?

Posted by hokypoky (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 22:36

I have a chair and a half that came with two coordinating pillows. One of them I like, but the other ... not so much. The back is plain, almost like a brown canvas, but I don't like the front with a bunch of random letters on it. It's not a pillow cover and it has piping around the edges, so I don't think I can just make a cover. Do I somehow just remove the outer cover? Or is there something I can do without doing that?

Thanks for your help!

Dayna

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair & a half with pillows

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I redo a pillow that came with a chair?

It is probably stuffed with poly dacron loose batting and sewn closed.

Your choices are: A. Make your new cover and stuff it in there. You can razor off the cording if it shows/feels through. Be aware that that print might show through your new cover. If so, you can line your new cover with muslin.

Or: B. Measure your pillow across the belly, cord to cord, add seam allowances (usually 1 inch both ways[for 1/2 inch seams]) and make a new pillow that size. Buy your new stuffer in the next larger size (for fullness). It can be very helpful to cut your new back an inch larger both ways. That makes for ease of completing your construction.

o

Or find ready made pillows you like to replace them.

o

I'd take a close-up pic of the fabric of both the chair and one pillow that you do like with my cellphone, and head off to TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohls, Tuesday Morning, etc. to look for one that works well with them. Super easy. From what I've seen, you can easily get a beautiful one for about $20. And then I'd donate the alphabet pillow to Goodwill.
Lynn

o

Hit Home Goods! Save your time.

o

Bed Bath & Beyond sell toss-pillow covers -- they're usually near the slipcovers. I've seen some at Lowe's hardware stores, too, so if you have either of those stores nearby, take your pillow's measurements and you might have some luck.

Or, making an "envelope pillow" is pretty simple to do, using iron-on tape to secure the folded down "seams" and adding a snap on the back.

Beyond those, I'd do what Lynn suggests. Home Goods does seem to have a lot of toss pillows nowadays!

o

Going the Home Goods route *would* save my family the anguish they feel when they see me pulling out my sewing machine. ;) Thanks, everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here