Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiko_gw

LR-PRiB,KI?=-129048561=

kiko_gw
13 years ago
last modified: last year

No Rug .......................................................

From Living Room

With Rug (Lighting Diff Due to Time of Day)..

View of Rugs in Adjoining Rooms

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Living Room Thread

Comments (23)

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I vote yes to the rug.

• User
    13 years ago

I agree, the rug looks great there. Pretty rooms.

• les917
    13 years ago

I would use the rug there, but consider taking the ottoman and putting it elsewhere. I think it crowds the space visually and fights with the rug.

A lovely home!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Yes, I think the rug looks great there. I am still madly in love with your game chairs...they are beautiful!!!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Pretty rug...lovely room!

• ctlane
    13 years ago

I also vote yes to the rug. Beautiful room.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I'm gonna be the oddball. I like the clean look without the rug. The gold color I see on my monitor does not appear to go with the more taupe-y neutrals and the charcoal sofa. (sorry...) Gorgeous rooms!

• User
    13 years ago

Good point Amy. And after looking at the photos on the other thread I'm not sure what color the sofas are. Kiko?

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I like the rug a lot but I think the room looks "cleaner" without it, especially in the summer. I agree that the ottoman fights with it as well.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I think it looks better without the rug also. It seems to weigh that area down (in mood as well) and the color (gold on my monitor) doesn't seem to fit. I think you've got enough going on without adding another visual element. It's much fresher without, which is fitting for your style.

Beautiful room and pieces.

• leahcate
    13 years ago

The brown appears cool in tone, as do all the creams...very soothing. The gold in the rug takes away from this, imo. Without the rug the ottoman works better. Lovely room.

• les917
    13 years ago

Any chance you could flip the rug in the LR with the rug under the billiard table? The softer colors in the other rug might do more in the LR, and the dark mass of the billiard table could take the darker rug from the LR.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Great rugs....but Les has a good eye....

LOVE your home!!! Great job putting it ALL together!

• alicate
    13 years ago

I like the weight of the rug in the living room. Grounds the room to me!

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

I usually do not care for W2W carpeting in rooms but in this case it really works to make the room seem larger, and bright and fresh. I think layering, with the rug under the seating area crowds the room and makes the game table look shoved to the side and cramped, by limiting the area under it. The whole room does not "flow" with the rug. I don't think the billiard table needs to be 'anchored' either.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I also think you should not use the rug. Dilly is right about the flow and I think the space was much more elegant without the rug. Do love the space-very pretty!

• User
    13 years ago

I like the rug and would keep it there but agree the ottoman fabric fights with it.

Very nice room!

• ctlane
    13 years ago

I changed my mind and agree with Les to switch them if possible. Could just be the colors on the monitor.

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Sorry I'm such a slooooow decorator. With the kids out of school/preschool it's hard finding time to get back. Plus I always need time to "live" with things and think about it for a while before I can decide. And, double plus, I am very confused!

les917 - Thanks! I moved the ottoman to the other side of the coffee table; it seems less conspicuous in front of the fireplace. But is it bad to block the fireplace? I do *love* the ottoman and I like the function because we've been hanging out more in here reading; it's nice to put your feet up. Interesting thought about flipping the rugs. Before going to the trouble, I took some pics of the rugs with cushions switched. See new pics below. What do you think?

vampiressrn - Thanks! The chairs are pretty comfy too. They are the Becca in creme leather by Safavieh from Overstock.

loribee - Thank you!

ctlane - Thanks! Interesting thought about flipping the rugs. Before going to the trouble, I took some pics of the rugs with cushions switched. See new pics below. What do you think?

amysrq - I have been ignoring the wall color because we plan on changing it. The "next" problem to fix in these two rooms is the wall color. It was this color when we moved in 5 years ago and it is too "pinkity-pink" for us. It actually photographs much better than it looks IRL. The walls seem to almost match SW Lightweight Beige. I have the formula for a quart I had custom matched at SW for touch-ups, if that helps. Do you have any suggestions for wall color? The color scheme for both rooms was driven by the pool table felt. There are limited felt colors and I picked the one least offensive to me. It's a gold color (almost SW Blonde). The sofas are pewter but they do have a green undertone as the larger rug does. See more pics below for detail.

justgotabme - Thanks! The sofas are "officially" pewter, a dark charchoal velvet/velour. They do have a knap (and a green undertone). See new pic below for a closer look.

palimpsest - The room is cleaner without the rug. Unfortunately that carpet is soooo pale that it doesn't stay clean looking for long! In fact we just got it cleaned a few weeks ago. Don't I need an area rug in both rooms or no area rugs? I did switch the ottoman to the other side of the coffee table. See newer pics below.

springmeadow - Thanks! It does look much "cleaner" without the rug there, doesn't it? It's a big rug and I'm not sure where else I could use it. It was kind of expensive when we bought it, plus, DARN, I just paid $430 to have it cleaned!

leahcate - Thanks! Now, what looks brown? The sofas are pewter. The pool table and cabinets are more reddish. What do you think about the new pics below?

nicole - Thanks!

alicate - Thanks! It does seem I need rugs in both rooms or no rugs, right?

dilly_dally - Yes, we aren't fans of W2W either and hope to change it one day. The "blank" W2W feels kind of cheap to me without any rugs. And soon to be dirty (as I just had the W2W cleaned and it doesn't stay that clean for lon).

cyn427 - Thanks! I do see the point about the rugs thoguh.

sheesharee - Thanks! See pics below.

Ottoman Moved:

Before attempting to move the rugs, here is a "preview" of what the rugs would look like with the different furniture:

Rug Under Pool Table with Cushion from Couch

LR Rug W/ Gold Pool Table Cloth and Gold Chairs Around Pool Table

Could I Use LR Rug in Office (Cushion from Couch in Office)??:

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Okay, so I was seeing pinkity-pink, too! But, I didn't want to say the P word. So, maybe you could go with a warmer beige/soft gold, kind of run with the look of the felt on the pool table.

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Originally I was going to paint the dining/pool room a dark grey like the couches and paint the living room a light gold similar to the pool table cloth, but not quite as dark. That was my plan to "tie" them together. But now I'm not so sure about using the dark grey.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the rug in the living room now is 9x12 and the one in the pool/dining room is 8x10.

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Oh, sofas not brown? Well, pewter is even cooler in tone, and the rug looks golden-tan. I do not dislike it, but would not be my first choice. Count me as one who , regardless of rug choice, prefers the flow of cream carpet: A flow of space that's not broken up with the area rug. To my eye, the space isn't big enough to carry it off perfectly. It's a beautiful room, regardless.

• lisaryan31_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I love this room I have been looking at the pics Can you tell me where you got those crystal lamps in the living room? thank you