Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Which sofa styles do you like?

oldbat2be
10 years ago

As part of clearing all the furniture out of the family room during our recent remodel (thread linked below), we moved the existing sofa into the fire room (wood burning stove room). We find it quite comfy in that room now with two sofas and so I'm looking for a new (or not so new) sofa and loveseat, for the new family room.

Wall space for the sofa: 8.9' or 105" total wall space available.

Loveseat wall space: 5'3" / 63" (but this could be placed on the diagonal).

Here are 4 sofa styles from Hickory White which I like. (Of course, this is all theoretical since I haven't yet requested pricing). If you have any sofas which you have been ogling / sofa styles which speak to you, I'd love to see / hear about them.

Room is 17x13; general layout below.

Thanks!

(updated dimensions)

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Room Remodel

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:34

Comments (15)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think the one in the lower left corner with the lower arms and three same-sized loose cushions is the most practical.

Lower arm because it is more comfortable for lying down, and loose cushions that can be flipped and rotated.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I also prefer the one on the bottom left. I am not a big fan of loose cushions on the back as they always seem to be askew. I am also drawn to more streamlined looks and masculine looking pieces these days and this one has the straight lines and lack of detail that fits this look.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I like the same one Pal likes because it looks like it would be the most comfortable. All those pillows on the first one would drive me nuts keeping them in order, because I know my husband would toss half of them on the floor.

• pps7
    10 years ago

I like the upper right on looks alone but the lower left would be more comfortable and practical. The upper left has loose pillows which look messy and would drive me crazy and the lower right is a little too traditional for my taste.

• mojomom
    10 years ago

Bottom left for me too. They are all great, but I love the bottom left style and it looks the most comfortable. It has a family room feel, slightly casual but with a presence. Size and proportion to you room works well . While we just talking inches, I think that one is slightly smaller which is good for your fantastic remodel. Good luck! Your remodel is looking great!

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I like the lower left as well... for reasons already mentioned. :)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Bottom left would be my choice for comfort and style, but I do really like the style of the upper right one.

• sochi
    10 years ago

I love the upper right one, but see the point about the lower left.

• ice1
    10 years ago

Lower left is the one I would get.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Love upper right, but lower left may be more practical. I prefer 1-2 cushions vs. 3 unless you can switch them around because no one sits on the 3rd cushion.

• egbar
    10 years ago

bottom left.. definitely. not as stark, more comfortable to
    sit on, easier to re upholster or slip cover if you ever have to, the slightly curved cushions seem more cozy to look at and the straight back will allow placement in more places than the curved back one. which one calls to you???

• robin44444
    10 years ago

We bought one online similar to the upper right. I will never buy another sofa without trying it out first. Ours is beautiful but so uncomfortable. I like the one on the bottom left.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

High-armed sofas are currently trendy, but you end up with a sprained shoulder if you try to use the arm rest to ... you know ... rest your arm on.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the feedback. I've requested quotes on numbers 2 and 3, will post once I receive. robin4444 - excellent point, if I have to make a road trip, I will test this out before buying.

egbar, I'm drawn to the single cushion and like the look on number two. I'm not one to lay on the sofa (as though I ever get the chance!) but there are others around here (ahem) who do appreciate a horizontal surface. These same others have a tendency to remove pillows as well, so the point about constantly rearranging pillows hits home.

cheryleb - you described very nicely what I like about the sofa as well (streamlined, more masculine). These remind me a little of the danish furniture my parents started out with... funny.

palimpsest, ice1, lolauren, mojomom, chickadee2 - I feel very encouraged by your support for #3. I like the lines and do think it's a better family room sofa with #3 perhaps better suited to a living room.

gsciencechick, sochi, pricklypearcactus, pps7 - I'll try to track down #2 as well as #3 to sit in ... still like how it looks :)

Kids are squawking, need to go get breakfast started. Thanks again to all!

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:55

• User
    10 years ago

I will just chime in that 3 (lower left) was my choice as well- and I get a sense of relief that most people preferred it as well. Aside from its classic good looks, I prefer 3 cushions and 3 reversible cushions at that.