Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardinal94

Levolor blind question

cardinal94
9 years ago

Bought Levelor top down bottom up blinds for our entire house. We wanted to be able to keep lowered partway at the top to let in light but still be private. When raising the bottom part, the top rail doesn't stay in place and creeps up the window. They also bulge out when raising them and don't got up evenly. The installer (contractor) said they were defective. Somehow that message got dropped at the big box store where we purchased them. They now tell us they've checked with Levelor and this is just how the blinds are. We are not happy as we spent over $5,000 on them.

Anyone have any experience? Who knows what they are talking about in this situation? We felt like the installer was knowledgeable. Was he?

Thank you for any input or advice.

Comments (8)

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

Which blinds are these? Got any pics? Did you buy them from the big box store direct and they sent out an installer or you bought them thru a contractor? Who measured?

• cardinal94
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are cellular light filtering bought from big box, measured and installed by their contractors.

• jab65
    9 years ago

I don't know if the one I had in a former bathroom was Levolor or not, but it worked just the way you wanted it to, with no creep up or bulges. Make them take them back for others.

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

No, this not sound "normal". The installers do work for big box stores, but do not actually work for them. You want to go through the store itself or even contact Levolor directly.
    It's hard to say if the problem is with the shades themselves or with the installation or the measurement. Have them send someone else out to look at them.
    Either way, it shouldn't be your problem.

• janealexa
    9 years ago

I would call Levolor directly. What kind of blinds? Cellular?

• cardinal94
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to clarify - the contracted installer that the store sent was the one who told me what they are supposed to do vs reality. I asked if he could adjust to make them work right. This was on his 2nd trip out to replace some that had marks on them. He told me he would have the store re-order them. This is where it fell through the cracks. The store has the record that he requested the reorder, but it didn't get done.

The salesperson and an installation manager came out this week to look at them. They didn't dispute the problem, but said they would have to check with Levolor on whether this is normal. We didn't like that answer based on what we were told in the sales process, but accepted that there would be follow up.

Got a call the next day from from the salesperson and what she said nearly verbatim is that Levolor said you have to hold the top in place while you raise the bottom. This is after she told me while here that you need to raise with two hands. So I guess changing the blinds on a daily basis is a two person job.....

We have called Levolor anonymously (not specific to our purchase) and asked in general how they are to work. The customer service person confirmed the top and bottom work independently (as it says on their website) and one stays in place as you adjust the other.

Our guess is that Big Box is telling us this now trying to get rid of us because they have gone past the time when Levolor will replace them at no charge. That doesn't completely gel with the 10 yr guarantee, but this doesn't seem like a battle we should have to fight since I told the salesperson I wanted some adjustments done on the installers 2nd trip, thinking that was the problem.

We really appreciate your feedback. It is helpful to know we had realistic expectations on this expensive purchase. And yes, it is Big Box that we are dealing with; not the installer.

• cardinal94
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to clarify - the contracted installer that the store sent was the one who told me what they are supposed to do vs reality. I asked if he could adjust to make them work right. This was on his 2nd trip out to replace some that had marks on them. He told me he would have the store re-order them. This is where it fell through the cracks. The store has the record that he requested the reorder, but it didn't get done.

The salesperson and an installation manager came out this week to look at them. They didn't dispute the problem, but said they would have to check with Levolor on whether this is normal. We didn't like that answer based on what we were told in the sales process, but accepted that there would be follow up.

Got a call the next day from from the salesperson and what she said nearly verbatim is that Levolor said you have to hold the top in place while you raise the bottom. This is after she told me while here that you need to raise with two hands. So I guess changing the blinds on a daily basis is a two person job.....

We have called Levolor anonymously (not specific to our purchase) and asked in general how they are to work. The customer service person confirmed the top and bottom work independently (as it says on their website) and one stays in place as you adjust the other.

Our guess is that Big Box is telling us this now trying to get rid of us because they have gone past the time when Levolor will replace them at no charge. That doesn't completely gel with the 10 yr guarantee, but this doesn't seem like a battle we should have to fight since I told the salesperson I wanted some adjustments done on the installers 2nd trip, thinking that was the problem.

We really appreciate your feedback. It is helpful to know we had realistic expectations on this expensive purchase. And yes, it is Big Box that we are dealing with; not the installer.

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

The problem with buying at the big box stores is, once their time frame that you can return or exchange is over, you're then left to deal with the manufacturer yourself.
    The 10yr warranty is with Levolor, not the store at this point.
    I think you now have to contact Levolor and put in a claim. Then they'll send someone out to look at them and go from there.
    The installer is out of this, too, so you'd just be wasting your time calling him.