Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biochem101

Pantry in 1795 House

biochem101
11 years ago

This isn't to most people's taste, but I'd buy it if I won the lottery. I'm especially in love with the old looking pantry.

The house was built in 1795, how old do you think this is?

Of course I'd need a few more dishes...

Here's the house

Here is a link that might be useful: Delchester Farm

Comments (35)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Reminds me of a general store in Maine, charming to the nth degree!!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, but a little (LOL) out of my price range.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Beautiful....makes me long for wallpaper, looking at that house. And that huge green house dining room...haven't I seen that one before????

• clubcracker
    11 years ago

Lovely house. I think there are very few original rooms and the pantry was added on at some point. I'd love to have it - all of it. :)

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

Fun - You might prefer to think of the price in other terms: It can be yours for only $46,246/month.

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Just beautiful...I am not a fan of wallpaper but every single room is so tastefully done. No clutter and nothing "over the top". And the views...sigh...

I was dismayed to read that it has "subdivision potential"...whatever that means,,,what a horrible thought . I can only assume they would each have 5 acres or so around them...sure would mess up the area. c

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, just giant!

Love the outdoor spaces and the DR that seems to be in a patio room.

Also like the sitting room with the built-in bookcases.

Thanks for posting.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Love, love, love that pantry... Magnificent home. I'd update the wallpaper, but only that.

I'm really enjoying seeing kitchens with wallpaper these days. It looks fresh again.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Wow!!!

Certainly worth a lottery ticket or ten! :)

And (ahem . . . blush) I could easily fill that dish pantry -- LOL! :)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I am being overly analytical, but the interior is a decently-detailed 20th century house. 1795 has really just become a footnote. If they are original the fireplaces tell a story of what was done when. There are some late-victorian mantles (as well as some that look like 1998 when the house was last renovated).

• pugga
    11 years ago

I agree with you, palimpsest. It is certainly a beautiful home but picture after picture I kept thinking "where is the 1795?"

• biochem101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not at all Pal!

I value your opinion.

I wasn't going to admit it but the wallpaper appealed to me too, at least some of it. Like that bathroom.

And that painted wood ceiling in the bar looks interesting.

The kitchen is definitely new but the shelves in the pantry are very close together near the floor? And there isn't any cabinet doors (for such a large one) or counter space for the toaster oven (LOL!) You know what I mean. Even if one of us was making the pantry "look old" we would probably have put more function in it?

Maybe they'll have a yard sale and I can pick up that side table under the painting in the DR????

(Now I'm REALLY dreaming!)

;)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Having grown up in Virginia around lots of 18th century piles, I love a house that grows over time with the changing times and lives of its inhabitants.

Some houses like that are kept as museums, and that's fine if it suits the families that live in them, or if they are owned by the trust or the historical society, or if the families have to open them for the income to keep them up, but sensitive adaptation and change is what private lives ought to be about.

Too bad about the nine and a half million I don't have lying around. That's one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" houses. It would probably take $46,000 a month just to keep the house and grounds in good order, and keep the tax man happy! So we probably ought to just pay cash, don't you think...?

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Since when is Newtown Square the Main Line? I guess realtors may have been expanding the use of the term for some time, but I had to smile at the idea that a house like this would need it!
    I'd love to live in it anywhere.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"Pantry in 1795 House"??
    Probably not!

Only a small part of that house is that old... the rest has been added on over the years.
    I am guessing that pantry is NOT original to the original house.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Well, Javachik, $46,246 per month would work for me if I could fit fifty rent-paying friends into the property.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Fun2BHere, maybe if they all traveled a lot...? Or you could turn the dependencies into bunkhouses...?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Not all of it is my style, but, yes, I would buy it just for the grounds, walls, exterior. Sorry, have to run to find where I left that $9.5 mil lying around....

Cloudy Christine, funny re: Main Line. Also true!

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Love the exterior and grounds, but the interior is awful. Those narrow shelves in the LR are a huge miss, both in their appearance and in their odd distribution in the room. I also like a house that evolves over time, and this isn't one, IMO. Too bad they **improved** it.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Jiminy crickets! What a treat to behold, Biochem. Thanks for posting this beauty. I love almost everything! I'd have to gut the kitchen, save for that gorgeous window! The cabinets in particular are just too grandiose por moi.

Mostly the house is really tasteful and personal and warm and friendly. You know, a "down to earth" sort of multi-million dollar house. Ah, the charm of collected-over-the-years, old-money style!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Okay, I looked at it again, and decided I could live quite nicely with the cabinets. But the in-your-face hood over the stove would have to go!

Miss Barb the realtor will be sitting pretty if she gets a client to scoop this one up!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Maybe part of the house was built in 1795 and the rest added later. This house is only about half an hour from me, but worlds away financially!

I just love the pantry and I think that's how kitchens should be, with everything out where you can see it instead of having to open and close cabinets.

Another house was advertised on the page with the pantry that is for sale for $16M+. The people who own it were big donors to the hospital where I worked and we had a party at their house. It is quite something, although the house was rather dark with low ceilings, as really old houses tend to be. However, the grounds are amazing. The barn is far enough away that you would drive to it, or perhaps zip over in the golf cart. They are avid equestrians, especially fox hunting. They are lovely, down-to-earth people.

I just hope developers don't get their hands on these properties.

Here is a link that might be useful: another gorgeous home

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Bronwynsmom--You know...we could turn the whole thing into a B&B, make the dependencies into guest houses, etc. How much would we have to charge per night and how many reserved nights would we have to have per year to cover the renovations, mortgage payment, taxes and upkeep?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Hmmm, let me see...according to my calculations, the answer to all your questions is, A LOT.

It might make a really nice corporate conference center, however.

If only those Russian oligarchs weren't so hard to get along with....

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

well, when we win powerball or some such mega- mega-mega lottery- ya'll come up and visit me. Lovely grounds -23 acres would be perfect for Cooper and Bailey. and its not too far away from MD so my kids can come and visit.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Dedtired, that house is WONDERFUL! Thanks for posting the link!

My ideal stone home would have the interiors of the house dedtired posted and the grounds of the house biochem posted :)

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Pam, why is there a giant raccoon over the stove?

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

um. If we win the super duper incredible mega lottery, the second house would also do. thanks for posting both of these. I forget what else is out there in the world.

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

Love the home. Technically speaking, Delchester Farm IS considered to be located within the Philadelphia Main Line.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ded, love that house. Know exactly where it is. Fun that you were inside it! Wouldn't call that Radnor though as the write-up says. They probably took that from Radnor Hunt. Hmmm...work, historically, neither of those would be the Main Line. The definition has been greatly expanded as folks moved further and further out. When my parents moved to Gladwyne from Penn Valley, their friends couldn't believe they wanted to live "so far out.". ;). Technically, Gladwyne was not even considered part of the Main Line, although that has changed now as have the "boundaries" of what may be considered parts of it. It is an interesting and beautiful area. I sometimes miss it!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

CC, they are nature lovers. The backsplash is a 3-D tile "mural" of a fox hunting scene. I guess the little animals are up in the trees watching the riders go by. Maybe they are hiding the fox! If you look at picture #4, you can see that the 3D backsplash continues. Did you notice the shooting gallery in #11? Took me a minute to figure that out. I never got to see that. I do remember hanging out in the kitchen talking to the homeowner. I asked the name of the granite and she couldn't remember. It's dark green -- Uba Tuba, perhaps?

One great perk of my job (fund raising for non-profits) was seeing how the very wealthy live. I've seen amazing homes including one with an indoor squash court, astounding places in Palm Beach, one place with original Norman Rockwell paintings, beautiful horse "farms", places that would just knock your socks off. Then I got to go home to my little brick box!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ded, love that house. Know exactly where it is. Fun that you were inside it! Wouldn't call that Radnor though as the write-up says. They probably took that from Radnor Hunt. Hmmm...work, historically, neither of those would be the Main Line. The definition has been greatly expanded as folks moved further and further out. When my parents moved to Gladwyne from Penn Valley, their friends couldn't believe they wanted to live "so far out.". ;). Technically, Gladwyne was not even considered part of the Main Line, although that has changed now as have the "boundaries" of what may be considered parts of it. It is an interesting and beautiful area. I sometimes miss it!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Cyn, so funny because my parents built a home in PV. They would not even consider Gladwyne because it was so far from everything. Now you can;t even find a place to park in the village.

That house is in Malvern, right near the Radnor Hunt Club, which isn't in Radnor, either!

It was sometimes fun to rub shoulders with the rich. Too bad it didn't rub off on me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radnor Hunt

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ded, I always thought PV was wonderful. Nicest elementary school I've ever seen. I loved that each classroom had its own patio. Re: the village...Remember the uproar when they wanted to build the grocery store? Wow, times do change.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Cyn, had a great conversation about the "olden" days just this morning with Joe Cunningham at the Shell station. We were both bemoaning how things have changed. I remember when there were two gas stations and they were both shacks with a pump out front.

I never went to PV but it is still unchanged, with the pretty tiles and patios. I went to WV and HHS. Elementary was Cynwyd, which has changed dramatically.

I was at the library on Wednesday and thought of your sister. We have a patron with a similar name. Speaking of big uproars, there is one now about adding an elevator to the library. I support it so the library will be handicapped accessible (thinking ahead to my old age), but others do not.