Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo60

window treatment for metal door w/window

booboo60
15 years ago

Ok, this is not a very glamorous problem or dilemma but still not sure what to do :) While we are living temporarily in our shop until our house is built we have 3 metal doors that have the windows in them; about 21"W X 35"H in each door. What can you get to cover them (besides garbage sacks:)?? One would think there would be something since you would have to drill or screw into the metal door.....Any ideas would be appreciated!

TIA

Comments (5)

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Magnetic curtain rods and kitchen window tiers. Or make your own curtains from an opened pillow case using the hem as the casing. If you don't sew or your machine isn't handy you can use fusable tape to hem them.
    Wal Mart carries this type of rod for under fifteen dollars.

• suero
    15 years ago

You can get curtains on rods that fasten to the top and bottom of the window frame. Or you may be able to fit tension rods between the sides of the window frame and not drill into the door. Other options involve drilling into the door. You can get miniblinds that you can fasten on top and anchor on bottom. You could do shutters (expensive). You can get a window shade.

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

Or possibly some type of film that will let in light but obscure direct views. I've seen it at Bed Bath & Beyond, but I think there are other versions available at Home Depot and online.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Since you say living with these windowed doors is only short term temporary, go with the cheapest solution: RediShades. No hardware or complicated installation.

I got mine on sale at HD for $1.79 each. They don't leave any sticky glue behind when you decide to remove them. You can get them in paper (cheapest) or plastic, light filtering or room darkening, ect.

Here is a link that might be useful: RediShades

• creekylis
    15 years ago

If you want something sturdier, functional, and not too expensive, check into magnetic roller shades. We had one on our back french door at our old house and it blended in well and worked great for privacy at night.

Not sure if this is the same brand we had, but it looks similar at least.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnetic Roller Shade