Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage Patio Set - Yea or Nay?

Posted by louislinus (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 22:08

So I found this patio set at a resale shop today and I'm super tempted. Our house doesn't have a patio yet. We have a sunroom that is already furnished and have plans to build the patio next spring. I found this 7 piece set today for $350 - I'd probably offer $250 and see what happens. It's a 7 piece set - couch, 4 chairs and 2 small tables. I LOVE it but feel a little silly buying it with no patio yet. But I also think it's a good price and feel like I might kick myself next summer when I can't find something like this. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage Patio Set - Yea or Nay?

I'm one of those people who buy things for the future. When the future arrives, I usually can't remember why it seemed so important - or worse, I have totally changed my mind about the item. It's charming, but I wouldn't buy. (Or so I say!)

o

Oh I love it. My mom has a similar set-I think it dates back to at least the late 60's and I've put in my dibs to inherit it. I think you should go for it, store it till you've got the space, but if you lost out, you would kick yourself.

o

I say Yea! And if you decide to say Nay, please give me the information so I can go get that set :)

o

Do you like the yellow? Is there any rust on it? Are the cushions in great shape. Being the enabler I am, if the preceding is yes, no, and yes....go for it! The couch would be more than $350, or $250 if you are successful. I paid $2000 for a table and 4 chairs 8 years ago...although it was aluminum. Is this vintage steel? It looks to be in great shape. The cushions would be custom. Be certain they are in good shape. Do you have room to store it until your patio is done? I know, too many questions. I do like it. You could always spray paint it with Rustoleum if there is any rust. The chairs look like they are not rocking, but motion chairs, which are so nice. My vote...Yes!

o

Looks like it's in good shape. Yes, I'd go get it!

Can you keep it in the sunroom until you can use it outside?

o

I bought a lot of furniture for my mcm house before I even started looking for the house. I stacked it all in the living room of my mcm condo. The furniture could have been used for the condo, but I knew it was destined for a new house and so I stacked it and stuffed it in the living room. I was ready for the privacy of a home.

I couldnt believe how well everything worked in the new house when I finally found one. Even during the gutting and remodeling, I was buying things for the house. The couple items that didnt work, or that I upgraded after moving in, I sold on cl. So, I think you should go for it. They are really cute and the price is worth taking a chance for. You can always resell them on cl if you decide not to use them.

o

Yes they are the motion chairs. The cushions are mint. One of the tables has some rust around the glass top but other than that they are good. They are vintage steel. Oh I think I'm going shopping tomorrow!! It's only too bad that my quarterly giant Costco trip and back to school shopping also happened this weekend.

o

It seems you have a destination. Quarterly Costco shopping and back to school seem to be a distraction. Focus! The minions can wait. :-P

o

Outdoor furniture is going on clearance right now around here, and I still couldn't find anything close to this deal. If you're in a climate where you'll use outdoor patio furniture only a few months a year, this is a good find. If you're in a climate that allows for longer uses of outdoor furniture, then perhaps wait until you can explore more options.

o

While I love the looks of this set, in my experience this type of sofa is just not very comfortable. It's rather stiff sitting up and almost impossible to stretch out on. We gauge the comfort of sofas both for both sitting and napping though.

Left its current color it would look great on a vintage-y sun porch or patio, but when it comes to outdoor furniture, comfort is at least as important as looks.

Forgot to add, if the cushions are not Sunbrella or similar and the proposed patio is uncovered, you will have a part time job bringing cushions in and taking them back out, and one day you will not be home when they are soaked by a rogue thunderstorm....,ask me how I know this ;-(

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 5:48

o

The sent is adorable!! I would love not having the big box look that is everywhere!! Years ago we were doing the basement. DH's job was drywall etc. mine was curtains/lamps etc. People were SHOCKED when they came over and found it fully decorated the day DH put the hammer away. If you have a place to store it GET IT!! Another plus if you live like I do with promises and slow delivery--having the set will ensure the patio appears!!!

o

We are planning a roof and yellow is my favorite color. I have a yellow chambers stove too! (It lives in the garage right now.) I only sat on a chair and did not try the couch. I will definitely do that.

o

I love it!

o

I would buy that in a skinny minute. I bet it's old wrought iron, which will last forever, and always be better than anything from Home Depot. And for that price, even if you paint and recover all of the cusions, it's still a bargain.

o

I love it! It is so charming and beats HD outdoor stuff by a mile. You definitely wont find the character and charm in new.
I have a vintage table and chair set at our other home that we are currently leasing to tenants and if we ever cover our deck here I am bringing it to this home.

o

That is a fabulous set! We've never stretched out on the patio sofa, really, for a long nap,,that's what a hammock is for :) The cushions will wear well, they are probably waterproof.

School lasts all year, you can shop any weekend. This set won't wait!

o

Grrr. I called and negotiated the price down to $290. However what I didn't know is that one of the back cushions to a chair is missing. What to do now?

o

I think you need to discount it further - replacing a cushion like that would cost at least $50 - plus you'll have an issue finding a yellow solid cushion to match - you'll probably never find the print fabric.

I like the sunny yellow and if you have a roof overhead it will keep the cushions dryer.

o

Is it comfortable? No matter how charming it is, if it's not comfy you wont like it. Very pretty, though!

o

That's my style, too; however the one thing that I always think about before I buy outdoor pieces is - will it be able to stand the elements all summer and where to store it in the winter. I have a metal glider in the garden that I have to keep out year round because it's so bulky and heavy. I love it so hang on to it. I cover it with a tarp over winter and all these years it's still in fair condition for its age.

I tried painting it once, sanding,the whole bit. The paint came off within a couple months and basically I made it worse.

o

Schoolhouse, if you can get it to a body shop or car painting place, they can paint it for you and it will last!

I love that set, Louis. I would try to get the price reduced a little more since one cushion is missing, but if you can't, it is still a terrific price. Go for it. Just think how pretty it will be on your patio. With the other cushions, you will have a model for making a replacement. Are those 'bouncy' chairs? If so, they are the best. I love to sit in them!

o

Love it. Buy it. You will have regrets otherwise. Cushions are easy to make and to reupholster.

o

cyn, there is a auto detailing shop down across the field behind me. One time I took a very small round metal bistro table to them for an estimate on painting and they wanted so much I told them I'd do it myself. Ha, same thing happened, I sanded and painted and the paint came off. So I know what you mean, they would do a super job on my glider but afraid of the cost. The glider sure would get a new lease on life before it's too late.

o

Thanks for the encouragement! I ended up getting the set plus a floor lamp for $300. The set was originally $350 and the lamp was $65 do I felt good about it. My good friend is an upholsterer and she said she can make me a cushion for $30. I think I'll do two solid cushions so that there are 2 floral ones and 2 solid. Hopefully it will look more intentional instead of just having one solid and 3 floral. Here's a better pic of the set and of the lamp.

o

And here's the lamp.

o

Yay! Good for you! You'll love it when the patio is completed.

o

Oh you're going to be so happy!

A few years ago I scored four very ornate, yet chippy wrought iron patio chairs. One needs the legs rewelded, and I need cushions for them. I paid the whopping sum of $25 for all four! Your set reminds me that I really need to get those out of the shed, over haul them and add them to the new landscaping we're doing out front. Good project for this winter so I can have them ready for spring. You did great on your new purchase! Congratulations.

o

Congrats! That is such a great price, even without the lamp and cushion! It is such an adorable set!

o

That's great. You knew in your heart you wanted it. :)

o

I love that so much! It is charming and welcoming, and the yellow is perfect. Happiness!

o

:) I'm glad you got the package. No one ever said it has to match perfect. A missing cushion would not bother me, it would be an invitation to use the chair in my garden.

o

Oh, I am so happy you got it! Really love the lamp, too. If a new cushion is only $30.00 You could save one for future replacement. If you can find a matching yellow fabric, you could simply turn one cushion around. What a charming patio you will have!

o

Woohoo!!

The set is fabulous, and that lamp is just wonderful. And you know, lots of the fabric places are having the outdoor fabrics on clearance right now. It's the perfect time to snatch up fabric for the missing cushion, plus maybe some for toss pillows.

I love the whole set, and I think that was a great buy. In my area, that would have been gone the first day, at least on Craigslist.

o

WOW! I love that set. If I had had no plans for a patio, I would have bought that set and then made a patio to go with it. Just love it.
Diane

o

You guys!! They found the missing cushion! My set is complete and I was able to use that missing cushion as a negotiating point and they didn't ask for anymore money when they found it. The thrift gods were with me on this one.

o

Good lord! Can I go shopping with you? What nice people you dealt with. They must have liked you, so we could go back and bargain some more, along with your gods shining down on you. Very nice, what a great surprise!

o

FABULOUS!

And good for you! That was a great find, and it sounds like you dealt with nice people, too. Yeh!

o

SCORE!! You really got a great deal on the set ( I love yellow too).

o

Congrats!

o

Absolutely gorgeous! And yay on them finding the cushion! Enjoy.

o

Woohoo! I love it when it all falls together. Enjoy!

o

Fabulous!!!!

o

I am yellow with envy!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here