Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

soft seagrass? or sisal... with kids?

KCRemodeler
10 years ago

I'm ISO a 9x12 natural fiber rug for my living room...it seems the perfect fit for what I've got going on from a design perspective but I'm a bit worried about the practicality.

I have a 1 year old and 4 year old. Although this isn't our main play area, they will be walking in the living room an the occasional spill will happen. I've heard there are spray protectants for these rugs...is this is a truly solution to making a seagrass rug practical?

Is there a rug out there that is soft enough that my family won't avoid the living room with bare feet?

Looking for recommendations to point me to the right rug. Thank you!!!

Comments (9)

• ttodd
    10 years ago

I have a couple of flat braided natural jute rugs. They are soft on the bare feet. Our kids are 9,7, and 5. They are holding up very well but I'd love to know about a spray protecting! We get any spills cleaned up right away. After 1 1/2 yrs or so they don't look brand new but are still wearing well and I'm okay w/ them.
    I did have a scratchy sisal one once and I got rid of it quickly!

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Seagrass is probably softer than sisal for what you are seeking.

I am a BIG fan of seagrass/jute/sisal rugs. Started using them a few years ago and they are one of those trendy decorating items that are hardy, easy to keep clean and best of all not expensive!

We have spilled on ours, have cats that use them as impromputu scratch posts and use them in high traffic areas of the house. Those rugs hold up to all that and keep looking just fine. I'm especially impressed by the lack of damage from our cats' claws. Don't know why but the natural rugs just don't seem to get ratty looking.

I have linked below to an online store I've used. The rugs are good quality, prices are excellent, you can customize on size and borders and you can get some great deals using the Sale link. You can also choose from plenty of rugs at Overstock and if you have an IKEA close they sell sisal rugs at of course those super low IKEA prices.

Good luck and rest easy, you won't be making a mistake to use any of the naturals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Natural Rug Source

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

We have several seagrass rugs from Overstock in our beach house and I don't find them scratchy at all. And we are barefoot all the time!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I have bought a sea grass rug from the same source running links to. It's been for about 2 years under our table where we eat all our meals, and it's held up fantastically. Seagrass seems to repel dirt and liquids, and even tomato sauce has come of without a problem. The only issue is that the fabric binding around the edge has gotten dirty. I'll have to clean that one of these days.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

My preference is to have no bindings, so we ended up with jute. I really like them (we have 3 or four around the house, one large one under the dining table) and don't find them scratchy at all. I think it must depend on the weave. We ordered from the same place as linked above and were very happy.

• jenniferPA
    10 years ago

That link is great, thanks for posting. I will need a custom size when ready to buy for our dining room, and this makes it easy and at a good price. I also noticed the stair treads they sell, look like they could be a good DIY solution to replacing rugs on wood stairs. Says you can install with double-sided carpet tape, I wonder how well the tape would hold them.

• KCRemodeler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm loving that website...this thread was super helpful. Thanks to all!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You can get rugs that are sisal/wool combos, which soften them up a lot.