Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Want to be sure before I purchase..

lorishopaholic
9 years ago

I posted a few days ago about my kitchen lighting and want to 100% sure before I order. The lights are pretty expensive and the high ceiling in the breakfast nook is going to cost me. I want almost a eclectic or more update feel in my traditional kitchen without it feeling out of place. Should I go with this drum shade for the breakfast nook instead? Or should I stick with the chandy that matches the pendants?

Comments (13)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the pendants that I am considering for the island. But, I'm open to suggestions as well.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Current lights and kitchen

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I've been obsessed with drum shade chandys lately. I'm just afraid they're trendy right now. I absolutely love that one you've posted, but it competes, not complements the pendants. Assuming they'd both be in same viewing area? If so, I wouldn't go for the drum shade set.

If you DID go with the drum shade, I'd pick pendants that are similar in lines to the chandy. This isn't quite right, but more along these lines.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love them too but I think that is what is holding me back. I am afraid they are just too trendy and I don't want to have to change my lights again in a year. I also love the lanterns or bell jar pendants but wonder about that being trendy as well.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do you love them? If so, then who cares what happens down the road. Get what you love. If the price is an issue maybe you can find something similar for less $$

Light fixtures can easily be changed when you want. However, I am sure you will love them for years to come. I do not see these particular chandeliers going out of style anytime soon.

• User
    9 years ago

I would not use those two lights together. The pendants look extreme vintage and the drum is trendy. Unless you love the pendants I would not use them either, as I believe they will look dated in a few years as well. Otoh, if they're exactly what you want, just find a chandelier that complements them.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aktillery- I do love them but I would love to find something at a lower price point. I wondered about this style.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like this chandy and it is on sale right now! Not sure about pendant style to go with it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think that jar type will become full of dead bugs and need weekly dusting. I have a glass wall sconce and the shade needs to be kept sparkling. The round chandy looks wagon wheel to me so I think it would be used to bring a little bling to a modern rustic home.

Lighting changes so quickly and some things look too trendy the minute they're produced. I don't know how to guard against that. I guess you could go with what you love, but do you love it because it is trendy? If you hadn't seen them everywhere, would you still love it?

It sometimes seems that everyone uses/recommends the same three light fixtures. I think the HD forum is due for a good general discussion on lighting since it is so confusing. We had a good thread on window treatments. Pillows and sheets have been done to death. Lighting next?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would not want to do those two lights together.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any suggestions on lights that would look good together and enhance my home? Maybe these?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Along with the one Pesky1 posted, I like the last pendant you posted (or is that the chandelier size)? I don't think I'd want to keep it clean in a kitchen, but if you're up for it, I think it would look terrific (but not with the drum shade - I've never seen the appeal of the drum shades, but that's just my bias).

Then the question is what chandelier? Or if that's the chandelier, then what pendant? You did notice that the bulb is $15?

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the large pendant but I was thinking of using the large size above my island. My current ones seem dinky in size. No idea for chandelier. I am stuck. This pendant cost about that same as the mercury glass pendant but between the two I'm not sure which I like better.