Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Renaissance (in need of) Revival

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 21:55

This house has $7000 square feet, ten bedrooms and is listed for $400,000.

It was designed by Frank Miles Day in a Renaissance Revival style (1892) It has kind of an English Arts&Crafts layout. It's on the Historic Register.

photo FMD2_zps9c62de45.jpg

Anybody have about $4M to restore it?
 photo FMD11_zps28c30dda.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Renaissance (in need of) Revival

Well, at least it's a blank slate....

best of all are those 2 ac units sticking out of the front windows!

o

Oh that poor, sad house...

Where would you begin to create a Renaissance Revival interior? I guess you could research that while shoring up the exterior and doing the landscaping.

This post was edited by awm03 on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 20:08

o

Poor house. I wonder if a flipper will buy it?

o

I think it's beautiful. I wish I had about $4 million sitting around and I'd probably consider moving.

o

holy breaking bad batman! It looks like the house on that show. Wow, I'm not sure 4 million would fix that place up. The property alone might be worth the 400,000 asking. Where is it??

o

Pal, have you ever toyed with the idea of a side career as a location scout for movies? You find the most intriguing places.

o

It kind of has that deconstructed look. Maybe you can just throw some RH furniture at it and call it good.

o

Oh my. At least someone started the process by gutting it for us.

o

Wow ... did someone start a renovation and run out of money after they gutted it?

And the pricklypearcactus ... wins 5 Internets for finding the perfect furniture.

o

LOL @ Sasafras. I see the Breaking Bad house resemblance.

I have a feeling this sad fellow is in a neighborhood that would not support the costly investment to restore it.

o

Is that a ghost or a person standing in the door????

o

hahahaha~ @ prickly!

On the Historic Register and looks like a crack house. Breaks my heart.

o

I think it was put on the register to prevent ( or make more difficult) its demolition.

o

Yeah, they've barely covered that eventuality.

o

Either they ran out of money or found something significant that affected the house structure. Wonderful dreams of what this could be. So sad to know this was let go into shambles. A ladder is left behind, maybe they are still trying. But the overall restore at this point is overwhelming. Adding a toilet in what may be the dining/living room doesn't help, maybe it fell through from above.

o

It was offices until fairly recently I think, and was structurally sound, but there was probably little left of the original surfaces inside,

I've seen original details just hacked into to make clearance for suspended ceilings and ductwork and extra plumbing.

The ceilings in my old apartment were dropped in a couple areas and where they knew they were covering it up anyway, they used a sledge hammer to just bash a hole for whatever. There were several running feet of ornamental cornice missing and a couple square feet of hole, loose plaster and pieces of lath hanging down to run a small pipe through, for example. There was a hole 12" in diameter with rubble still lying around it with a single wire passing through. No care is really taken if it's going to be covered up.

The other thing that may have been done was that the mantles and such may have been sold as salvage when the fireboxes were covered up. There were many more fireplaces in the buildings I lived in at one point and what was done was some of the really nice mantles (Ones with Caryatids on them, for example) were sold off, and plainer mantles from upstairs were repurposed when those fireplaces were covered.

So it was either stripped of all the modern coverings or someone did in fact buy it and strip it and then realize they didn't have enough money.

I had saved these pictures a while back but posted them because of the other recent thread about the house in Germantown that was essentially intact and still required $400K to update the systems and essentially freshen up and repair the mostly intact interior details.

I think it would take close to $1M just to redo the systems and do a simple interior that was all drywall and basic materials with the preservation of what details there are, and much much more to restore this to any kind of period appearance.

o

@ technicolor who said "Adding a toilet in what may be the dining/living room doesn't help, maybe it fell through from above"

That was one of the best episodes. LOL

o

Sas...I am patiently waiting for the final episode. You must be watching too. The short that appeared with him going back to his old house gave a lot of possibilities. Sorry guys for going OT, am hooked on the show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here