Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konzelmann_gw

Headboard height

konzelmann
9 years ago

Is there any general rule of thumb to help determine a reasonable headboard height for a bed to avoid having something that takes over the room too much? My home is an old victorian with ceilings that are a bit over 9 feet. The bedroom is large, but a bit narrow because it was probably 2 bedrooms at one point and was converted to one. So the room might be 14' by 25' or something like that. The bed is sideways in the room, not the long way, because to put it lengthwise would block a window.

I'd like a beautiful victorian style bed with a beautiful tall headboard, but a couple people have suggested to me that it might not look right in the room if the headboard is too tall. I'm looking at one bed specifically with a 72" headboard. To me, a smaller headboard wouldn't look nearly as impressive. It suits the house so well, but I don't have the best eye for interior decorating. I know something smaller would work fine, like 58" or so, but like I said, I don't think that would be as impressive and would just look pretty plain.

Any advice?

Comments (4)