Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Bed bugs and Craig's List

13 years ago

a good reason to think twice

ON CRAIG'S LIST... How to avoid the suckers: Do not buy used furniture, especially bedding or upholstered items. If you absolutely MUST have a vintage something or other in your home, find a bug expert who can inspect it for bedbugs or eggs (shudder).

Comments (41)

• 13 years ago

I didn't even think about that, yuck. I guess that applies to antique shops as well, oh no.

• 13 years ago

Fortunately, I don't think of Self magazine as an expert source.

• 13 years ago

I've read bed bugs are rampant in many motels, hotels especially quite a few large cities. Heard several reports on the news too.

never thought about other furniture sources though, thx.

• 13 years ago

It's illegal in many states to sell mattresses. Most thrift stores/consignment stores and donation centers here in MA will not take them. It's common to see them at the curb to go out with the trash. In Boston bedbugs are a MAJOR issues in many of the dorms. Every year there's news about infestations and how to prevent it.

My daughter lives in a dorm/apartment in Boston and her mattress will be brand new--factory sealed and then covered with a mattress protector.
    Upholstered furntiture is in a different catagory and can be sold/donated.

• 13 years ago

Bedbugs don't just live in beds. Nor are they only found in upholstered pieces. They can hitch a ride on the joints of wood pieces - even picture frames.

Word needs to get out about bedbugs since there has been a resurgence. Clothing stores, offices, theaters, hospitals, hotels (especially), all sorts of places are being hit.

Be proactive. Know how they are transfered. Treat your home ahead of time with Diatomaceous Earth. I did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

Here is a link that might be useful: DE

• 13 years ago

Self is just re-reporting what it's been on the news here in NYC for a while. Buying anything upholstered second-hand is like sitting or laying on everything that upholstery has been in contact with. A little dramatic but I'd definitely get something checked before buying it and any good antique dealer will gladly do that for you.

Bed bugs were a problem almost completely eradicated but there there's been a recent resurgence.

• 13 years ago

If you are having brand new furniture delivered make sure the delivery company is not one that takes away the old mattresses or furniture as part of their service. It is one of the ways that bedbugs can be transfered to new stuff and get into your home. Most places won't do take-aways anymore because of this reason.

• 13 years ago

I doubt the Self writer did any actual shoeleather reporting, and the advise to "don't buy anything" isn't useful.

So what are you supposed to do, other than find some "bug expert"? As if any exterminator's going to trot down to the Sally Army store and look at an old sofa for free.

• 13 years ago

Just have to add that my dear friend has been through *&$% trying to eradicate bedbugs from her lovely home after her son brought them home from his college apt. (just 15 miles away, so he is back and forth a lot). Once they take hold and you have an infestation, it is pretty difficult to get completely rid of them. You have to bag the offending mattress/etc. in the room because transporting it through the house will deposit the bugs everywhere and then you have a real problem....

• 13 years ago

I was just wondering, can bed bugs be seen with the human eye and not with a magnifying glass?

Here the furniture companies do take away the old mattresses. Many people don't have trucks and can't haul them to the dump.

As far as not buying old upholstered furniture? I'll keep buying it. lol

• 13 years ago

Oakley, you can see them. Take a look at the video.

Here is a link that might be useful: video from CBS

• 13 years ago

Here is a link to the latest from the EPA and the CDC--Centers for Disease Control.

A little look at the official stance.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA and CDC about bedbugs

• 13 years ago

I would think seriously about applying Diatomaceous Earth yourself and in having it in your home at all. I'd never use it in my home. It's bad for the lungs. I believe I've read it is similar to asbestos exposure. Regardless, it's bad for the lungs and wherever it's applied it will stir again and could become airborne.

Heating the building to high temperatures has been successful in eradicating them. I would research that possibility for an infestation.

• 13 years ago

my girlfriend bought a toddler bed on craigslist - she DID NOT take the mattress only the plastic frame and within days her daughter was breaking out in weird bites-- low and behold BEDBUGS - oh my god it was so gross and sad too for her little girl.... they had to have professionals come in to get rid of the frame and her new mattress and then they had the whole house sprayed 3 times including couches etc b/c they could transfer from the little girl to the couch- it was a horrible nightmare for her.. i felt terrible for her... i would never buy furniture (ie couches, beds etc) on craigslist!!

• 13 years ago

Well I bought a memory foam mattress a few weeks ago from Craigslist and I checked the mattress out real good and it did not have any.

• 13 years ago

Bedbugs don't live in/on memory foam - never did.

• 13 years ago

This is something that has been and always will be a phobia of mine. I have always hated staying in hotels since I was a little girl - the thought of hotels just grosses me out. I do it, but rarely sleep and often bring my snuggy (much to my husbands dismay).

That being said another phobia of mine is my children coming home with head lice.. so in researching preventative head lice measures, I came across Fairytales products. They have a ton of shampoo/conditiner/ hair products that are preventative as well as treatments for Lice. Just recently they came out with a bed bug spray.. I don't know how well it works, I have never used that product but use the head lice product.. Just something to consider aside from the product mentioned above that is more dangerous

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairytales Products

• 13 years ago

I'm skeptical. It says:

"SLEEP - TITE Gallon Bed Bug Spray
    Sleep-Tite Bed Bug Spray is an EPA exempt bed bug treatment proven to kill bed bugs and their eggs. 97% effective rate with only 1 Spray! Contains no pesticides or chemicals and is safe to use around children and pets."

It kills bedbugs? AND their eggs?

Hmmm. Since it is EPA exempt they don't have to list the ingredients. I'd like to know what is in this secret elixir.

• 13 years ago

It's vodka and OJ, they get drunk and fall out the front door. LOL Just kidding.

Many years ago on the old show 20/20, they did a special on "cheap" "unnamed" new mattresses and you will not believe what they found when they ripped them open. People were complaining of bad smells so they ripped them open and low and behold they found them filled with garbage. Literally, garbage. They were stuffing the mattresses with food matter, etc. It was so gross, I get the chills just thinking about that program again.

• 13 years ago

I can't find info about Fairytales Sleep-Tite but it seems that the others with the same advertising gimmick say they use Benzalkonium Chloride. They also say it is not a preventative but kills bedbugs ON CONTACT. So you have to sneak up on them and spray them.

• 13 years ago

Looking at the CDC site recommendations, it is best to call in a professional as soon as you suspect anything. If you try to deal with it yourself, it will probably fail and the infestation will become more serious and difficult to manage. The report notes that a combination of methods is used to get rid of them, including heat (which I've read is quite effective). There are also safety precautions you should take when staying over somewhere, such as where you place your suitcases, handbags, and other items (check google for details).

• 13 years ago

I don't think DE is as dangerous as asbestos. I have used it in my house, and it definitely works.

It's as dangerous to humans as baby powder is to babies if you let babies breathe it into their lungs - it can certainly do some damage because the moisture turns the stuff into a cement like substance in your lungs.

Just make sure to buy human grade DE.

Here is a link that might be useful: More on DE

• 13 years ago

I have been reading the CDC and EPA sites and they talk about detection, treatment etc.Where would you apply Diatomaceous earth anyway?
    I think we will all be at risk whether or not we shop second hand - and bedbugs will be here to stay just like in a 3rd world country. unimaginable- I am trying to get my head around it.

• 13 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. Where and how do you apply the DE? I think I've read under rugs and sofa cushions as examples.

It's sharp little shards of silica. Silica is one of the worst things to breathe. I think it's best to heed with caution. After what I'd read, I wouldn't want to apply it myself or have it in my home. I shudder when I think how many, many years ago my place was evacuated and flea bombed. A couple times, I think. And the carpets were sprayed many times with whatever. I really like the heat method. It was in the news a few years back describing how it was done in a fairly local apartment building to eradicate a bed bug problem. Hate to even think about them hitching rides in this that or the other thing, with all the traveling people do.

• 13 years ago

I wouldn't do DE, I especially would worry about children and/or pets.

I am not overly worried, but we do travel. I never, ever put luggage on the floor.

I have not seen any evidence in our home, and I do regularly rotate the mattress and vacuum, etc. I plan to take a closer look in places it suggests and may get the mattress/boxspring/pillow encasements.

We're having our annual termite inspection tomorrow and I think I will ask them about bed bugs.

tina

• 13 years ago

All I have to say is BLECH.. Just the thought of this is making me sqeamish... My children are staying in a hotel on sat. night and I am being neurotic as usual..

BLECH BLECH BLECH!!!!

• 13 years ago

I walked into a local fabric store and and a young man was sitting on a chair at the front door talking about bedbugs.

Totally ruined my shopping experience! LOL

• 13 years ago

"I am not overly worried, but we do travel. I never, ever put luggage on the floor."

More importantly, do not put your luggage on the bed.

This was a bad habit of mine when travelling and a good way to pick up fleas and bedbugs. They say to only use the luggage racks but they only put one in a room. They should give two for two people. And I really have to wonder if they luggage racks are safe either. Critters hide in any crevice.

• 13 years ago

Good point. We've never picked up fleas either. We do however only stay in certain motels. I realize that you can get fleas/bedbugs/etc. in ANY motel, but using ones that overall have high standards, I think, lowers the risk. It would be interesting if one could find out a motel's bedbug plan. Is there anything that can be done to PREVENT them (pesticide, etc.)?

It's something to think about, but I'm not going to let it cause me to change my way of life.

tina

• 13 years ago

The problem with having careful standards is that many of us have kids that come and go to places with lower standards, dorms, movie theaters, etc.

• 13 years ago

Here's a lengthy discussion about diatomaceous earth:
    bedbugger.com Diatomaceous Earth FAQs

This comment gives me pause: "DE is an inhalation hazard per the CDC. It can cause silicosis. It can be quite safe when used properly but isnÂt as safe as some hucksters make it out to be."

• 13 years ago

For the record.....
    If a product is exempt from EPA (speaking specifically about pests), it only means that it is not a registered pesticide. While there are many products that have some efficacy against pests, there are few to none that can eradicate bedbugs. The product being touted in the above posts may as well be dish water.

• 13 years ago

Dilly Dally -
    Sleep tite's ingerdients
    Active Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate
    Other Ingredients: Water, Yeast, Acetic Acid

It's a detergent, and if you happen to hit the bugs or eggs it will damage them and kill them. You have to spray EVERYTHING for two weeks straight.

For current bed bug infestation, spray Sleep-Tite around mattresses and box springs, bed rails, headboards, frames, baseboards. Check all cracks and crevices and any other areas where bedbugs may hide. This includes furniture, bedding, mattress seams, curtains, furniture, wall paper, etc. Spray nightly for 2 weeks and then twice a week to control further outbreaks from newly hatched eggs; until you are confident they are gone.

• 13 years ago

Thanks! I could not find that info.

So basically to create this product at home for pennies, one could just use dollar store shampoo, salt from the kitchen cupboard and water from the tap.

And it looks like their claims of "Contains no pesticides or chemicals." is 100% false. It certainly does contain chemicals created in a lab.

From the get-go their claim that it does not contain pesticides did not make any sense at all because if it did not contain a pesticide well, then it would not work, by definition. Duh. If it kills pests then it is defined as a pesticide no matter what, even if the chemical they use as a pesticide is a common degreaser found in shampoo and engine degreasers. Lots of things created or developed in labs do double duty and are multi-purpose.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is considered dangerous by some people and those who wish to avoid contact with it shop for body and hair cleansers at health food stores. I do. I've done lots of reading over the years on it, and my conclusion is that it is not at all as dangerous as some proclaim so I don't refuse to have it in my home. I just avoid it if I can. If it came down to having bedbugs or coating my mattress with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, the SLS would win of course.

I can just see the advertising sling designed to create panic now among those who buy shampoo; "Don't wash your hair in pesticides anymore! Buy our overpriced health shampoo!"

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/What-Is-A-Pesticide.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Pesticides

• 13 years ago

Update - we had our termite inspection yesterday and I asked the technician about bedbugs. This company has seen a slight increase in bedbugs (of course that would only be THEIR customers). I should say first off that we chose this company because the owner is a certified/licensed/whatever Entomologist. Many pest companies do not have actual entomologists. This was important to us, if we were going to use their services, we wanted the most knowledgeable personnel possible, especially if chemicals were involved. As I work on an agricultural campus, where entomologists receive their degree, testing and certification, I felt good in asking for recommendations and this guy's name kept coming up.

Back to the bed bugs. This company has seen a slight increase in the area. They are visible and look a bit like a tick. He suggested looking in bedside tables/chests in the dark with a flashlight aimed toward the back or underneath drawers. Also like has been posted, creases in the mattress, etc. If there is a space behind your baseboard and trim, this is A MOST EXCELLENT PLACE for bedbugs to hide. Now is the time to appreciate my perfectionist husband who caulks all trim when painting. NOW I see that this is a good idea.

This company has not had good results with chemical treatments. They recommend heat to get rid of the bed bugs and have purchased equipment that does this.

And yes, as we have antiques, and travel, I followed his suggestions and looked for bed bugs and thankfully found no evidence. I am pretty careful in looking at furniture before purchasing (and smelling! LOL), but will be more so in the future. We just bought another old armoire last week. I'm wondering if one could go over furniture with a small steam cleaner to eliminate the possibility of bed bugs?

tina

• 13 years ago

True story:

Walked into a nicer salon for a hair appointment. I arrived about 10 mins early so I was waiting near the front where I could see out into the salon. A gentlemen was finishing a lady's hair, then bent down so his face was next to hers in the mirror and said something to her... they laughed... a few minutes later he sits at another stylist's open chair and she starts going through his hair. I assumed she was styling it for him. Then she says, "Yeah, those are definitely lice."

Not only was this guy doing hair, but he had just put his head up against the customer's head. I personally have never had lice and my one kiddo hasn't either, but I'm pretty sure head-to-head contact is to be avoided!

Any NPR fans? They have done a few different spots on bedbugs. Poor families...

• 13 years ago

On the Sleep Tite product, I have no idea how useful it is for bed bugs but saying that their claim of being 'chemical and pestide free' is 100% false is, well, just not true.

Their statment means, and is intended to mean, that it does not contain any ingredients that are pesticides -- pesticide is defined as products whose intended use is for pest control. By saying it is chemical free, they mean it does not contain known hazardous chemicals defined by, say, OSHA standards, requiring an MSDS or other safety information.

The ingredients listed are basically:

A foaming/surfactant/degreasing agent
    found in most shampoos and even in toothpaste and candy
    (strength unknown)

Salt
    A food preservative
    Water
    Yeast
    Vinegar

I would consider that to be pesticide and 'chemical' free (everything is made up of chemicals).

• 13 years ago

Apparently you did not read the link so here is another one put out by the EPA (note this is a .gov site)

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/about/index.htm

Here is says:

A pesticide is any substance or mixture of substances intended for: preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is classified by them as a *Minimum Risk Pesticide* and hence is allowed to conform to less stringent labeling, but it is still classified as a pesticide.

The EPA specifically addresses SLS as a pesticide in publication available here for printout:

http://www.epa.gov/PR_Notices/pr2000-6.pdf

"Their statment means, and is intended to mean, that it does not contain any ingredients that are pesticides -- pesticide is defined as products whose intended use is for pest control."

But it DOES contain ingredients intended for pest control. That is the whole reason they are selling it - for pest control.

"By saying it is chemical free, they mean it does not contain known hazardous chemicals defined by, say, OSHA standards, requiring an MSDS or other safety information."

This claim is not expressly implied nor would it have any bearing on a product sold directly to the consumer. OSHA/MSDS does not regulate household products.

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/SO/sodium_dodecyl_sulfate.html

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA

• 13 years ago

Actually, I did read your link. That's what prompted my post. 'Intended for' caught my interest.

SLS is a detergent. That's its 'intended' purpose.

The package should probably say no 'toxic or hazardous' pesticides or chemicals. But that is what they mean. I think it's safe to take the label at face value in that it doesn't contain any known offenders. I would like to know more about the properties of the SLS and acetic acid they use. Appears you can pretty much eat everything on the list (if its in the proper form and dilute enough). It also appears they are ingredients we're already exposed to extensively in the marketplace. But I'm not a chemist and we don't know the concentrations.

Its pesticidal use is also in the form of shampoos/cleaners. I guess in higher concentrations than usual? They are intended to clean and also repel from what I see.

I'm not going to dig up the sites I was looking through before, but have linked some interesting ones below for anyone who's interested.

Snopes has an interesting article (linked below). Note the paragraph on OSHA's requirements for all hazardous chemicals produced in the U.S. and for their end-use products. Three agencies cleared SLS as non-carcinogenic (OSHA, Toxicology, Cancer).

Another interesting document (looks to be from 1993): EPA - Re-Registration for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (used in only one registered pesticide product, a pet shampoo, at the time). http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/4061fact.pdf

Scorecard. This is the pet shampoo product on the RED document above:
    http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/product.tcl?reg_nr=06006600001â_name=DR.%20DOGKATZ'S%20CRITTER%20CHASER%20SHAMPOO

Dr. Weil on SLS:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040714081534/http://www.drweil.com/drw/app/cda/drw_cda.php?command=TodayQA&pt=Question&questionId=3513

.gov - SLS Exemption from the Requirement of Tolerance (referring to residue levels)
    http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2009/08/12/E9-19314/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-exemption-from-the-requirement-of-a-tolerance#p-3

There's certainly some controversy over SLS so I'll probably read more about it and look for shampoos and such without it. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Fairytale product if it seemed to work. We're continually bombarded with so much harmful stuff daily. It seems like a fairly innocuous product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snopes References

• 13 years ago

Citric Acid. Also registered as a 'pesticide' being that it's an active ingredient in pesticidal products. Re-registration info:

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA - Registered Pesticidal Ingredients - Citric Acid