Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Chippendale (other)

palimpsest
9 years ago

All based on the Chippendale catalog, all 18th c., all pictures from 1stdibs.

Mexican Chippendale:

Irish Chippendale:

The familiar American (Philadelphia) Chippendale for comparison:

Comments (9)

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

To anyone who likes Pal's post, at the BFA museum in Boston they have a lineup of these chairs. It is really interesting to see the variation from Philadelphia, to New York, to English, etc.

Great museum and nice restaurant too. (Sam Adams on tap!)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mexican Chippendale is pretty rare of course--but I am always surprised how modern and voluptuous it looks compared to the standard English-American Chippendale.

I am trying to find a picture of the wing chairs with the elaborate scrolls on the wings.

And the Irish Chippendale almost always a bit more grotesque and overwrought than it's English counterparts.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Thanks, Pal. I was totally unaware of Mexican Chippendale.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was too, but I guess there was some interest in English-style as opposed to Spanish-style furniture in that country.

I really like the interpretation. The first time I saw a piece I assumed it was some sort of mid 20th century adaptation rather than something of the period.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I think that black lacquer finish is one reason the Mexican Chippendale looks modern.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The picture is misleading but it's just a very dark varnished , burnished finish.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Interesting ... There was a lot of communication between the US colonies and the Spanish colonies despite the mother countries trying to keep them from developing unauthorized trading. Books and engravings and style magazines all were shipped to the Americas for the trend-setters of their day.

So it's hard to know if the style came straight from England or via the colonies.

they also had "Reina Ana" (queen Anne) style

http://www.fm.coe.uh.edu/comparisons/collections5.html

• mjlb
    9 years ago

Suggestively voluptuous, I would say...

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Nobody went Baroque quite as enthusiastically as Latin America did.

I've also seen Chinese and Indian versions of Chippendale and other non-native styles.

I even saw a Korean "Hoosier" cabinet ... it had been constructed for a missionary's wife based on illustrations from American catalogs.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!