Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktwp_gw

Which furniture arrangement do you prefer?

ktwp
10 years ago

Hello :)

My husband and I are in the process of buying furniture for our new house, and I was wondering if I could get some perspectives on some furniture arrangements I've made? Thank you for any input. :)

Comments (14)

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I think that I prefer #4 because it is the one that seems to best allow for entry into the seating area. In some of the others it seems like it would be awkward maneuvering around the furniture ,but it may simply be that the scale is off in the program that you are using. Plus I like the idea for cozy area by the windows to read/have coffee/ etc.

One thing that isn't a part of the images, where is the entry into the room?

And take this for what it is worth, advise from somebody who has NO design background!

• ktwp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your comment! I see what you mean about some of the others looking difficult to get around the furniture. The entry into the room is at the bottom right corner of the rectangle. I probably should have included that! ;)

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

Is that a wall behind the sofa? Are there any other doorways or windows? What are the room dimensions?

• ktwp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dimensions are 18'-1" by 14'-11". The window takes up almost the whole wall on the top where I have place some accent chairs. It's marked, but the writing's very tiny. Sorry about that. It's actually not a wall behind the sofa. The rectangle is only the dimensions for our living room. Behind the sofa is open to the kitchen where we have our kitchen table. I apologize, it looks like I wasn't very detailed in my pics.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I like the symmetry of #2 but the mix of curved and straight lines in #1. I do think you will need to put more emphasis on traffic flow.

I will be watching this thread because I am facing almost the same issue but my room has windows on one short end and a half wall on the other and the long wall is plain wall.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I like #3. Maybe because I have a similar set up and it allows a lot of versatility.

I like #1 just because I like the idea of tucking the ottomans under the console table but I'm not crazy about the focus being on the TV.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

How many people will you be accommodating on a regular basis? I assume both conversation/visiting and TV watching are the main activities? Do you really WANT a recliner? Do you find in your current life that you (or others who will regularly use the room) almost always choose to sit in a chair, or sofa, or loveseat? Does everyone want to sit facing the TV most of the time? It is better to think about how you might actually use the room, and then buy the furniture that best fits your life. The arrangements are mostly the same -- it's the furniture that is different in each choice.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Have you considered a custom entertainment center that fits into one of the corners? Might offer a different kind of arrangement possibilities ....

Wondering about a couple of swivel chairs (for example -- see arrangements #4 or #5) -- that option might add a different perspective in these arrangements ...

...don't forget to take into consideration lighting options too ... for various activities in the room ...

Just some thoughts! :)

• ktwp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone for your opinions. The only people that will be accommodating the space would be my husband, myself, and our 9 month old. All our family is out of town so I can see how having chairs facing the TV wouldn't be very conducive for socializing. That is certainly something I hadn't thought of! I don't want a recliner in the room but my husband really does and he doesn't ask for much so we'll probably get one. I really like the idea of the swivel chairs. Maybe I can find some reclining swivel chairs. Andee-It changes my perspective when I think about how we might actually use the room, then buy the furniture. Thanks for that idea!

• rosie
    10 years ago

I like the way you're going. Good progress. Since there are only two of you watching TV, not 5, how about putting that sofa so that it doesn't turn its back to the kitchen and "wall off" the seating area from the rest? Perhaps perpendicular to the TV wall along the bottom? Don't forget end tables with lamps and/or floor lamps so you're not locked out of other activities at night.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Just my suggestion on the room.

Not sure it will work with what is occurring in adjacent rooms & window location, but this allows you to either watch TV or converse with the kitchen, provides a suitable location for recliners with room to extend them, I've found that people don't like to sit with multiple people on a loveseat, so I don't recommend them. Sofa selection would have to be about 7' long with somewhat narrow arms.

• ktwp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie- I didn't think about putting the sofa along that wall. Beverly- I really like that diagram! It opens up the room so much. So many options. I'll discuss this last one with my husband and see what he thinks. Thanks guys! :)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Where are the doors and windows in this room?

It's hard to say what is better without knowing which direction you will be coming from.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Where are the doors and windows in this room?

It's hard to say what is better without knowing which direction you will be coming from.