Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you apply a Design Seed palette to a room?

Posted by cloud_swift (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 21:28

In my living room thread, people are suggesting some color combinations from Design Seed palettes.

I'm wondering - once we decide on one, how do we find items that have those colors? The colors on the palettes are just RGB color values - they don't have names.

Did you use one of the palettes for inspiration?
How hard was it to find items in the right colors?
How close did you stick to the palette?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you apply a Design Seed palette to a room?

I would use it for inspiration...as a way of putting color combos together or looking at what accent colors may work with a main color or two. I don't think it's necessary to stick to exactly the colors...it would be hard to do as the colors on screen wouldn't always match a paint pigment. Further, you may find accessories for the room that you like that are in a similar color way but not exact. So give yourself freedom to work with what you might have or can get.

From design seeds:

From houzz.com

o

o

o

o

Thanks Annie. Your top example is particularly interesting to me because a color palette I'm thinking of using is Lotus Color (which is quite a bit bolder than what I've used before). While I like the magenta color in it, I wasn't sure how it would look in the room. I like the way the similar color worked out in that room.

o

Pretty.

If you want your room more restful, you can use those bolder colors as accents against a neutral background.

Or you could go more contemporary and vibrant

o

I'm thinking of going in between the two. The family room is pretty restful so this doesn't have to be far in that direction as the first example. And the house is MCM so I'm going for contemporary but not as super charged as the second.

The green tone is already in the tile in the entry to the area and on the fireplace and the brown is close to the built in book case wood tones.

We will probably keep the walls and the carpet as a more neutral background.

I'm thinking of using the dark teal color for the couch and possibly on some of the other seating. Then using the magenta/purple tone for accessories and possibly a chair or two. Probably pull in the green the light blue for some accessories. The brown might show up in some of the tables.

o

cloud and annie - didn't know these buggers were out there! Looks like I will be spending an enormous amount of time on the website. These are fab and fun! Don't know whether I should thank you or not - nothing is getting done around here now!

o

LOL, Lynn...I know exactly what you mean! I find that site so much fun to just browse. I just wish there was a search function on color name like green or gray.

cloud swift, the colors are great for an MCM look...should be fun.

One thing I noticed when playing with the rooms and colors is how different they can look from each other as design seeds uses evenly sized color swatches, but in the rooms, a specific color can be a main color or an accent. How the colors are used really plays a role in the overall look.

o

Annie - Good job on showing various ways of utilizing the Design Seeds! Great inspirations. That taught me a lot! I do not like bright, saturated pastels but love the way they can be used minimally in neutral settings.

o

Tuesday, so glad you find this helpful. I find it so much fun, I better start a new thread....

Here's another example:

Extremely bright colors in this pic:

But think of it as a picture on the wall. You can go bright and vibrant:

or subdue it with neutral walls

And it's so interesting to me to see how the bright room looks more traditional in architecture yet the colors make it more contemporary...the subdued room is more contemporary in its bones, but made warmer by the softer color palette.

o

Annie;

Lurking along, but just so I understand, is that your eye picking out rooms that use those palettes from houzz? If so, you have a talent.

o

Yes, Annie, how do you find the rooms that correspond to the SEED palettes? Are there any tricks, short cuts, or does one have to have your trained eye?

o

Yes, Annie, I noticed that too. It shows up in the very first picture. I'm really enjoying your the responses to this thread - seeing the examples is very educational on the use of color.

It's fine with me if you continue in this thread unless you think it would be better under a different subject line.

o

OT but.... driving me crazy - 3rd one down - is that a cat, dog, wolf??? I see what appears to be an ear but can't make out eyes, nose, paws. Twisting my head every which way. Stupid for me to waste time on this but it is, like I said, driving me crazy LOL. Does anyone see it?

o

Lynn--I think it is a cat...ear at the bottom and then if you turn your head to the left sideways you can see the eyes, mouth, etc...

o

It is a cat I think. It is curled up so that its head is resting on its body. It's eye is almost closed at about the center of the picture with the nose and mouth above it. I think that the front leg is curled around the body next to the top of the head and the hind legs are heading out the left side of the bottom of the picture. The other front leg, paws and tail aren't shown - either under the body or out of the frame.

o

Lynn, it's a cat...they like to curl up sleeping and sometimes turn their head upside down...

Thanks, cloud swift...I'll keep posting here then.

I appreciate the kind words. Yes I do it by eye, but it's very easy. Sometimes I start with a room and find a color and search on design seeds for that color and see what shows up. Sometimes I start with design seeds and search on houzz for a color name and see what shows up....I have one on one side of my screen and the other on the other and play back and forth. It's so much fun!

o

Here's a real coastal look:

But the room is anything but....you can use the color inspiration to create the style and purpose of room you want. All you need do is like the colors. This bedroom is just luscious. I especially like the use of the scrim to create a "wall" between the sleeping side and the functional areas of the master suite.

o

cloud and annie, I suspected a cat, our "Baby Cat" is also long haired but aside from the ear I couldn't find the other parts, nose, mouth etc. Get it now. One problem I can scratch off my list. Ha, the list that is filled with yucky stuff that has to be done and fun stuff that MUST be done. Guess which tends to come first. Thanks again.

o

Another way to use design seeds is to help you decide colors to build off of something already existing.

I usually use fabrics as a way of developing a color scheme as fabrics speak to me. But in my laundry room, there really is no fabric. I had seen a room in a decorator show house years ago where they used a heather color as an accent and I loved it. I wanted it in my house so the laundry room it was.

But what to put with it? That's where design seeds lends a hand. I haven't actually implemented it yet but it gives me a great color palette to go to for colors in the room...

o

o

Annie, I loved the examples.

Specifically the slumbering room and the black and white terrier room.

o

o

To exercise your creativity, as you scroll through the thread, look at the inspiration picture first and then try to imagine what room you would build around those colors and how you might do it...which colors might you emphasize...which might you delete. Think about what room it would be...can you take a coastal look and make it traditional? can you take "bedroom" colors and make it work for a living room or an exterior? Then look at the room posted and see if it is anything like you'd imagined. Look at the way the decorator has selected and balanced the colors around the room and all the surfaces which have color including floors, ceiling tchotchkes, artwork, fabrics, furnishings, trim and even flowers in the space. Notice how accessories can be deployed to fundamentally change the look of a neutral background.

These kinds of exercises can help train your eye to see the details in the room, and can give you ideas on how you can work a color scheme in your own rooms.

o

I think that because the red has a bit of orange rather than being a pure primary, that room doesn't come off a a trite red white and blue. That's a very nice shade of blue too. That room and the ice cream room are my favorites so far.

I think I'm ready to do some bolder colors than I have in the past. I'm still struggling a bit on how far to take it. Part of me wants to paint the fireplace something saturated and part says keep it more a neutral background leaving the bold colors to the furniture and accessories like those two rooms.

o

Now play with the reverse. Here is a very nice and pretty colored kitchen.

But can it be jazzed up with some additional color? What color or colors would you use? Here are some design seeds inspirations...think about how you might add an additional layer of color in this space. Think about window treatments, area rugs, changing light fixtures, adding accessories to the counter or swapping out displayed dishes in the glass-fronted cabinet, paint the ceiling a color. Then you can think about doing the same in your own rooms.

Would you add blue?

Raspberry?

Gray?

Deep coral or rust?

o

The encycolorpedia let's you put in the rgb color codes and see what paints and colors are closest. If you find one you really love, you can look it up.

o

Thanks, williamsem! That's a great resource!

Here is a link that might be useful: Encycolorpedia

o

I see the gal running Design Seeds is now opening up a store with her stuff. She's starting to sell prints, greeting cards, mobile device covers. I also see that she's got a search by color name on her Fresh Hues site.

Design Seeds Store

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh Hues Blog

o

How about using a color palette from design seeds to help select fabrics for a room?

For example:

Fabrics from calico corners:

o

There have also been a number of questions here and in the building and paint forums about how to coordinate colors among say main floor rooms that open to each other? I think design seeds color palettes can help here too. For instance,

Kitchen and breakfast nook

Dining room

Living Room

Family Room

or

Entry way

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 22:56

o

o

o

o

Aaack, I'm practically hyperventilating I love this thread so much!!! Should be renamed 'Color for Dummies', which I certainly am, but now maybe I can learn! Thank you, cloud and Annie!

o

I'm still a total color boob, but I try. As much as I love colors and playing with them, I still struggle with keeping these straight in my head.

I will frequently call them all teal, which they are not. Sort of like having a mental block when it comes to spelling a particular word or remembering if someone's name is Eileen or Elaine which I also always screw up. Go figure.

o

o

o

o

• Posted by GWlolo 9b/ Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 20:43

Annie,

I enjoyed this so much! What an incredible talented eye you have.. Just brilliant! Thanks for sharing the examples..

This post was edited by GWlolo on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 20:44

o

Annie-You are super talented! What an eye you have! I wish I could have you decorate for me! :)

o

You guys are too kind...it's just looking at pictures of colors I like...but I'm delighted you're enjoying them. I am too. It's fun!

o

More eye candy, hooray! And, Annie, producing a design seed/room pairing really does take a good eye; I wasn't implying that what you do is "dummy", just that a "color dummy" like me can really learn from observing this color magic!

o

No misunderstanding 4amblues, I knew what you meant...we're good.

o

duplicate

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 7:58

o

o

I love Phoebe Howard rooms and came across this one...

Can I find a design seeds to go with it?

o

o

o

o

I love this thread!

o

Nice kellie! Glad to have you join me...I felt like I was alone here playing with myself....well...er....YKWIM!

o

today's design seed

But the nursery theme is a tad obvious....

A tablescape less so...

Lavender and young girls go hand in hand, but maybe an uber romantic adult bedroom instead?

Or a landscape dripping with wisteria:

o

Anne, thanks for continuing this. I think I'm learning a lot about the application of color by watching this thread. I've known for a long time that what a color is paired with makes a big difference in perception of the color, but one thing I've learned from these pictures is how the amount of each color changes the feel.

I find that I'm usually more drawn to the pictures where there are small to moderate amounts of strong colors with a background of more neutral or restful ones.

o

Oooh I love this thread!

Annie if I post a picture of fabric that I want to use can you find a design seed for it? The main colors are yellow, green, and blue with a few specs of brown. I am looking for a leather sofa with a brown that is in the fabric but I think I need one more color to use in a rug.

o

Can't guarantee I will find something, but I can try. Post away....

o

Yes, cloud-swift...the stronger and brighter the color is, the less of it is needed to have an impact in the room. The more neutral the background, the less you'll need of the bright color to make it pop.

I was just watching a Sarah's house with her farmhouse kitchen...the room reads yellow, but there was actually very little of it used...the island, some accents and in the drapery fabric.

o

Darn, I left my fabric at the shop. I will take my iPad to work tomorrow and post my fabrics from there. Thanks so much Annie!

o

Today's design seed...warm and woodsy.

A more literal translation

But the room can go more light and airy and contemporary

Don't forget that plants and flowers can provide an important color element.

Using nature colors to bring warmth and coziness to an adult play space...

o

Annie, thisisthefabrici am thinking of using. The print onto chairs and the other for an ottoman. I will bemusing a leather tufted sofa most likely Hancock and ore. This probably has enough colors but I am open to suggestions.

o

Oh good grief, sorry for all the spelling errors. I was in such a hurry to post that I didn't re-read. I wish this darn iPad would stop auto correcting. The print is for two chairs and the yellow for an ottoman. After I decide on the sofa and get that and the two chairs ordered I will be adding a third chair for the other corner of our room. I was thinking about picking one of the lighter brown tones in the fabric for leather but wonder if a dark blue might work? Thanks for your input.

o

I'm not Annie but lets see how close this one is...

o

Holly-kay, such lovely fabric. I really like it. I don't think you need a design seed...you already have many lovely colors to choose from in the fabric.

I would probably go with the dark brown for the sofa only because I expect it will last much longer than this room's decor, and a classic dark brown leather sofa will work in many room colors and styles to come.

Have you bought the fabric for the ottoman yet? I hope not, but sorry, I don't think it's a good match for the fabric...at least in the photo it has too much peach undertone and is too bright. Especially since, I'm assuming, it will be parked right next to the chairs, you need for it to be a really close match. The closer the proximity of the items, the more important a color match is. Also, a lighter solid will likely show dirt more than a darker fabric or one with some pattern.

I'm posting fabric suggestions from calico corners only because I find their website easy to search...but these are just to give you ideas of what might work. Instead of just solids, you might consider playing with some geometric prints or stripes or dots. So long as they are not similar in scale, they will work with your print. Also, these are just for color...I didn't look at fabric weight or fiber content to see if it would be good for furnishings.

o

Note that I'm leaning toward the predominant colors in the fabric....save the lovely pale yellow and the soft flesh colors for accent pieces in the room, and keep the furnishings blending better with the soft blues, grays and sage greens.

Not having seen the room, it's hard to say, but there may be a lot of print if you do 2 chairs in the print. You may want to do one chair in the print, one in the coordinating fabric with a matching ottoman...that way the ottoman will work with both chairs.

Or you may want your furnishings to be more solid and let the print speak through window treatments and throw pillows.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 9:54

o

Annie, thank you so much! I love all the fabrics you suggested. Yes the ottoman would be in front of the chairs. The room is over twenty three feet long but a touch under 15 wide. I will be doing another chair in the room also but I have felt so overwhelmed with all the choices. Maybe I should do only the corner chair in the print but I wasn't ready to make that choice yet.

It is difficult to pull the trigger on upholstery because DH is so hard on furniture that is why I am going with a leather sofa. I also considered doing the corner chair in leather but want to add texture to the room.

I'll keep looking!

o

Annie, I just looked at the photos I posted again. Man the colors on my monitor do no justice to the print fabric. The yellow tone on tone fabric looks very much the same as the monitor shows IRL.

The blues and greens in the print are a bit more vivid IRL but the background reads more cream than the photo shows. The fabric is a Smith Brothers fabric and I found some stripes and solids that would work with the print. I usually go with neutrals and just pops of color in accessories but this fabric just called to me and I love it.

I agree that one chair in this print would give me the pop of color that I need but I am having a tough time finding a solid fabric that I like. The last time I purchased new lr furniture was almost 18 years ago and everything was leather in a creamy beige. My furniture is looking very shabby so I really need to get this done.

I will be 60 this month so I really want something that I love this time around as it may be my last decorating project for a living room. I will post some pics tonight of the room.

o

Kellie, I love the colors you posted. They look very similar to colors in the fabric. Thank you so much for taking the time to post!!!

o

23 by 15 is a fairly large living room. I think two chairs in the print would be fine for that sized room. It's about the same size as ours and two print chairs are a pretty small piece of the room.

Some of the photos above have two bright or print chairs in a more neutral background including the first one above which has two in a bright magenta print.

o

Cloud, I love the magenta printed chairs! They are gorgeous.

I know what I like when I see it and this fabric just popped for me. The room is being painted Jersey Cream but if it is too bright or too yellow I will have the painter redo it for me.

So if I did two accent chairs in the fabric and a tufted leather sofa I will do another chair in either leather or fabric. Annie, Kellie, and Cloud any suggestions as to fabric or leather, and if fabric would a stripe be too much or should I stick with a solid?

I worry about using too many patterns as I want a peaceful looking room.

I also need a new coffee/cocktail table and was thinking a leather tufted ottoman would be just the ticket but DH clutters everything to the hilt so I was considering a lift top table that has a lot of space to stow his collection of papers and magazines and also give him a place that he can comfortably use his laptop. I really don't like the look of them at all but found one in a Paula Deen collection that is not too bad.

o

I'd be careful about too much leather. I would do a fabric that has maybe a small pattern or a texture like 2, 5, or 6 of the swatches I posted above. Especially if you are doing leather ottoman, you want some fabric for softness.

o

Annie, here is a picture from end to end. The chairs are from my library as we were trying to decide if we were going to use recliners or regular chairs. The room is being painted but the painter isn't finished yet.

o

Trying again.

o

Here is a pic from behind the chairs. Our French doors aren't stained yet.

o

This is a pic taken from the short side looking at my terribly shabby and outdated sofa. I can't believe I actually chose that.

o

You people are killing me. I am glued to the computer already with the Design Seeds and now you throw in a colorpedia! Too cruel.

Annie, I don't know what you do for a living, but Pantone should be knocking at your door. You have truly graced us all with your talent. I have learned more about color on this particular thread then, well, ever. Thank you for all you are doing.

o

Lynn, I agree! I want Annie to be my personal designer.

o

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm retired now, and made my living doing nothing that had anything to do with interior design...

Holly, pretty room. As you're picking out furniture, keep a eye to scale. For example, the side table by the sofa is very high relative to the height of the arm. Also the sofa and leather chair are very modern compared to the more traditional pieces in the room.

Think too about what storage you need to accommodate your husbands needs...to make the room work for him, he may want a "command center" with table surface on either side of his chair.

I'm guessing that traditional is where you'd like to go, given the DR chairs and the case pieces and window treatments. I would definitely do the 3rd chair in fabric for color and comfort....just make sure it's a durable one and you should be ok.

o

Thanks Annie, and yes you are right, My decorating style definitely is traditional. I actually just moved the chest there. Before I moved the recliners from the library I had a matching leather love seat there and I had the chest beside the love seat with the back of the chest against the side of the love seat. When I put it there I knew it was too high to be comfortably useful. I told the decorator from Ethan Allen that it was too high to be used there and she disagreed with me and said that high chests are being shown as end tables. I didn't argue with her but I knew it wouldn't work long term in that location. I am glad you agree with me.

I am so anxious to get the room done as it has been stressful and not at all fun like I imagined it would be.

The painter has more of the walls to do andi am not overly fond of the Jersey Cream. I should have gone with a darker color to make the room appear more cozy.

o

What a fascinating thread. I'm now looking at my own rooms and imagining what the color palette would be and wondering how well the colors compliment each other.

For some reason I was born without the gene for color selection and I can't dance either. True confession. However I was gifted with a talent for organization. I can retrieve an owner's manual for any item we own in minutes or tell you how much we paid for my Kitchen Aid mixer we bought in 1976 ($164.69). Whoopee.

Selecting paint stops me cold so if it were up to me everything would be beige or variations of it. Fortunately DH has talent in that area and has the confidence to select stronger colors.

This thread offers inspiration to finish the guest room. DD painted the walls Moonshine (a pale buttery vanilla), the trim is MAB bone white, the furniture is dark mahogany, the bed has a white matelasse coverlet. It's a corner room which is light-filled all day but needs something on the windows, an area rug and the other touches that signify a cohesive design.

Looking at the Design Seeds website is nice but seeing those colors used in real rooms a la Annie is what I needed.

Now that we're empty nesters I have 3 more bedrooms that to be refreshed. What would be the best way to save your examples for future reference?

You have no idea how much this has halped. Thank you.....thank you.

Maire

This post was edited by maire_cate on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 7:39

o

Oh don't get me started on EA decorators...GF was working with one (without me) and now we are trying to get them to take a rug back and she's got yards of very expensive fabric that she doesn't like....I'm sure some of them can be very good, but, like anything else, they vary in taste and ability, and then you're stuck.

I recently repainted my bedroom because the original color was too cold. The new color has a warmer undertone so I'm much happier...though it looks like the same color in the sunlight. Someone walking into the room wouldn't notice the difference, but the feel of it is significantly different.

o

Today's design seed:

Been awhile since I posted a kitchen...

a very different feel from this kitchen...

though it certainly can make for a warm living room

or a handsome bedroom

throw in a dining room, and you again have a nice theme for coordinating the rooms in your home without resorting to "boring beige."

o

Annie, I think it is such a shame that EA has lost their good reputation. I ordered 4 Renee side chairs and I am hoping they arrive in good shape. I also am having them do my kitchen window but holy cow that is one expensive window treatment. I personally like my designer but she wanted 3 different patterns for chairs another pattern for drapes and 2 other pillow fabrics. At least she chose a solid sofa even if it was paprika in color. Honestly I think everything would have been lovely but not at all to my taste.My house would have been so busy that I would have felt stressed just being in a room with all that pattern going on, and bright green walls to top it all off. I decided that I would be better off trying to do this myself as I don't think she had a clue what I wanted. I am just about paralyzed with so many choices and I am totally overwhelmed. I may just order my leather sofa, keep the recliners from the library and call it a day.

o

Maybe you just need to take smaller steps....you have time. You don't need to decide everything at once...just take steps when you're ready. But when dealing with EA, make sure you retain control....otherwise, you'll end up with stuff you don't like and an empty bank account.

GF bought this fabric to redo an old sofa and she paid EA over $40/yd for it. I took her to a fabric outlet and we found the exact same fabric for $18/yd!

o

Annie and Cloud, I too just found this board.
Annie, you have an amazing talent! I love what you pull together and how your eye picks out and applies the color schemes.
I wonder if the PTB here might sticky this thread. It's so educational and interesting.

I'm going to go play with the links and try to apply some of my choices now.
Marji

o

Geesh, that is quite a difference. I decided days ago that I don't want to continue with EA. I like the designer but I could buy a new car for what she was suggesting I do with the room and the price of the drapes was ridiculous. I also don't want to feel like I am living in a pumpkin patch.

o

Today's design seed

It was hard to find a pic that coordinates well as, as soon as someone does a soft color scheme, they seem to want to "pop" it with bright. Instead, by keeping the accent colors softer, it makes for a more relaxing space, but still interesting.

Here is a similar color scheme, but note how the bright rug and throw changes the entire energy of the space.

In my book Phoebe Howard is a master of soft colors.

o

I love Phoebe Howard rooms. I really love her soft, relaxing colors.

o

o

Today's design seed: Don't normally think of gold and silver together or the hardness of metals, but it can create a very soothing color palette.

o

I am really loving this thread!!

o

Here's an interesting color combo I've always liked....gray offset with cranberry or burgundy. Something like this:

Well, I found a room, clearly the oval office. Any idea whose?

o

Eisenhower's?

o

Close, holly-kay....HST!

To me, it looks like a very modern color palette and yet surprised to find it used back in the late 40s. (I guess the old fashioned TV is a hint...)

o

Truman..........

o

I think the use of color combination will look great together or looking at what accent colors may work with a main color or two. I don't think it's necessary to stick to exactly the colors. Usin various home accessories with the color will give best look.

o

I too love this thread! Thanks Annie for posting the examples.

o

o

Annie, lovely color seed for today. Those are colors I've been working with lately, so immediately went to my idea book and there they were. I'm catching on as to how you "see" this. Now I just wish that I could take these seeds and know exactly where my balance point is, in terms of how much of each color to use. I'm afraid that I have a tendency to balance it all equally, which is Disastrous!

o

I would think it would be very hard to balance color equally in a room. Just naturally each room has different areas of different sizes that will break up a color scheme into component parts. A pillow is smaller than a sofa which is smaller than a wall. Each item also has a different visual plane...we see the tops of tables, but the sides of chairs.

Purposely select a main color, a secondary color and then an accent color to use in the room. Main color can be floors or walls, secondary can be furnishings and drapes, accent can be lamps, art, pillows. This is not strict, but as a first step to help you think purposely about where and how to use color in a room.

You can practice yourself by, for example, looking at the design seeds up thread where I posted the kitchen that could use more color...what color would you add, and where would you put it?

Or up thread is a gray and pink color scheme where I posted the walls only. Think about how you would finish that room...how and where would you use more color and in what shades? Would you add an accent color? If so, what color and on what items.

Another exercise would be to look at a room where you like the main color but dislike the accent color. What color would you select, then look at all the things you'd have to change in the room to eliminate the bad and replace it with the good. That will give you a sense of how that decorator used the color.

Also, a lot of the rooms that I coordinate with the design seeds don't have all the colors or aren't in exactly the right shades. Think about swapping out some colors in the room with others in the seed palette...what would you have to change in the room to accomplish that?

It's really just a matter of turning your attention to the issue and training your eye to see the detail.

Also Stacy & Clinton's outfit advice applies to a room as well. You need color, pattern, texture and shine.

o

Today's design seed it tomato based

Not my favorite color and one I'd never think of decorating with...and yet when you play with how to apply it and blend it with other colors, you can get some very interesting results across a wide variety of styles.

Using it as an accent against a more neutral background

Embracing brick

o

o

GREAT THREAD, what a good read! I find it hard to find the color first, so I browse a lot of Pinterest photos. Then when I find the one with the right 'feel' I can look up the paint colors with this easy tool!

You can click on 'CHIP IT' once it is in your toolbox to find the colors of any photo online! It is addicting, as I spent a lot of time just seeing different color schemes and what the colors would be in SW paint...! Have FUN!

I use this FREE CHIP IT tool from Sherwin Williams and I can upload a photo I have uploaded or my own and it finds me the actual paint colors fast.
When you go to link, sign up (very quick to do) and then they have the App right there you simply drag to your toolbar, and then it is done! Asks you if you want to upload, and then also you can save your gallery right there.

Other paint stores can coordinate the name of the SW paint color if you do not have one near you. (photo attached is my trial, I found a photo on Pinterest, saved it (have a cutting tool) and then uploaded to SW site... then when the colors are found, gives you an option to edit, and that second layer pops up so you can switch out a few of the colors and put them in different order. Then you see the names of the actual paint colors on the swatches! FUN to use!

Here is a link that might be useful: FREE online color finding tool

o

I had to come back and post another photo when I got the idea, can I 'Chip' a 'Seeds' color sample? YES I did!
So, if you find a seeds color sample, you can then Chip it and get the SW color paint names, now how COOL is that?

I subscribe to Seeds and get emails with new color schemes and there are plenty on Pinterest (link below) you can click on any of them to go to the Seeds site to browse more colors, the small samples of color to the right (on the seed site) can lead you to other combinations using that one color you pick... have FUN!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds pallets on Pinterest

o

So now that this thread has reached over 100 posts, would it be acceptable to ask that a Design Seeds Palette Part 2 thread be started? It's just taking a long time to load.
I love checking in every day to see if there is a new design seed palette posted.
And thanks to Annie and all who keep it going.

o

Normally, we wait until 150 for the thread to close, but this one is very pic heavy, so I guess I can start a new one.

o

Love this thread!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here