Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arapahord

Air mattress recommendations?

Arapaho-Rd
10 years ago

I know this isn't a decorating question but everyone here is so knowledgeable, I'm hoping you can lead me to an air mattress for guests that works well. TIA

Comments (13)

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Aerobed... which is sold at Costco. It plugs in, fills quickly, is decent quality and comfortable.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Ditto the Aerobed, but I will say it's really a one person bed. Dh & I have slept on ours together (queen size) and it's like a feather bed - both of us roll to the middle.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

Another ditto on the Aerobed.

• SJ15106
    10 years ago

We have a Serta that we really love. A bit pricey but after having the last one we purchased always ending up almost flat by morning we went with the best model that the store carried. It is also much higher than the old one so it isn't such a struggle getting up from it in the morning. There are 3 firmness settings and if you leave it plugged in it kicks in a supposedly silent pump to keep the air at a constant pressure. Ours hasn't had to kick in so I can't say how quiet it is or isn't. We have the queen size and seems just as roomy as our regular queen-sized bed.

Whatever one you decide to purchase you are doing it at a great time. Most stores have them on sale for at least 30-40% at the end of summer.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Another Aerobed endorsement!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I had a Coleman purchased through Amazon with free shipping. My DGS slept on it when they visit. I lent it to my youngest daughter and it got a hole in it. No surprise though as she has two Bull Mastiffs and she isn't careful with anything. I was very pleased with the quality and price but I really can't speak to it's value but I believe it would have lasted many years with care.

• User
    10 years ago

We have go through so many air bed mattresses we switched to foamies.

• momfromthenorth
    10 years ago

Simply Sleeper. Bought ours (a twin) on Amazon a few years ago and it goes on every trip with us in case we need an extra bed. Love it. So comfy it's almost got me thinking about getting an air bed when we replace our current mattress at home.

• randita
    10 years ago

I agree that an Aerobed is hard for two people to sleep on. Two twin sized would be better than two people on a full or a queen.

IMO, they tend to be hard when they're fully blown up and if you don't blow them up fully, your back might suffer, so you might consider getting a 1" memory foam pad to put on top.

• Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! As always, GWer's come through.

I may have two people sleeping on it so sounds like an Aerobed might be a problem. I will take a look at Serta's version and also Simply Sleeper which I haven't heard of. What is the foam type mattress and it must be harder to store?

• randita
    10 years ago

I was just thinking of a memory foam topper - 1" thick. You can roll it up when not in use, but it will take up space so if your storage space is limited, that might not work. You could possibly roll it up, put it in a large plastic bag and store it under a bed.

A topper would make the Aerobed so much comfortable. I sleep on an Aerobed when I go to my son's place as they don't have a dedicated guest room. I don't usually have back problems, but I do get a stiff lower back after sleeping on that for a couple of nights.

We have two guest rooms, but when the whole gang comes, we need more sleeping space for adults-some on the elderly side. We finally broke down and got two very nice folding beds which could really be permanent beds. Not cheap, but they don't take up a lot of floor space and are very comfortable. If you have a large closet or basement storage, it might be worth consideration.

Here's the link:

Folding Bed

• bpath
    10 years ago

So for home, which Aero:
    the plain mattress?
    or
    the one with a built-in frame that unfolds as the mattress inflates?
    or
    the one with an inflatable base?

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

I got a Simmons Beautyrest from Wal-Mart. The queen was about $80. It's raised and sleeps 2 quite comfortably. It came with a bag and pump too