Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally finished - Living Room

Posted by cooki1268 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 21:15

We finally finished completely re-doing the living room. Still need some greenery and accessories. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the input and answers to my questions.
Before:
 photo axYjTMr_zpsd70b5822.jpg
 photo livingroom2_zpsc9b9bd96.jpg
 photo LivingRoom_zps89316ea2.jpg
 photo livingfab_zpsdee2862f.jpg

After:
 photo 9EA8EBDA-54B3-4654-8841-7CBDB5BAAE2C_zpsezngnfgj.jpg
 photo BBC6B25C-06C5-43CB-AA2F-39F39D3FE825_zpsjtxfleba.jpg
 photo D67AC719-0A33-4E0B-B2E1-988E07F1768E_zps5zfgmkfo.jpg
 photo F0EC3B23-61DA-4C9A-8129-A0EC9830CFA9_zpsbum4d6k2.jpg

photo E6AF6866-54B7-415B-A3C2-3B8723C1B072_zpsyyu0mjlt.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally finished - Living Room

Simply gorgeous!

o

It's absolutely beautiful! Love the gray and yellow/gold color scheme, the rugs, furniture, boxed beams on the ceiling, the new fireplace--- everything!! It's a total change and is very put together and stylish! Congratulations on a job VERY well done!

o

It looks beautiful and sophisticated! Looks completed, too, but if you think it still needs something, I'm sure you'll find the perfect item.

o

What a beautiful room. I wouldn't change a thing, it looks sophisticated yet totally comfy.

o

Wow, it doesn't look like the same room! Beautiful job.

o

Lovely, enjoy your perfect space!

o

Very nice! Congratulations.

Beth

o

Really elegant -- very charming!

Very well done indeed! :)

o

So pretty! I especially like how you've decorated the fireplace (and how the new facade looks, too). It's really perfect.

o

Such a beautiful room. Great job!

o

Beautiful room!

o

Beautiful!

o

how lovely! In terms of accessories, I might add a plant here or there and maybe something more substantial on the coffee table, but I don't think you need much more. It is a beautiful, serene space. congrats!

o

Just beautiful. It looks pretty complete to me as well.

o

Beautifully done.

o

Lovely! your deserve a reward hope you have a loved one to help you out with one? LOL

o

Wow, the FP change and addition of those box beams in the ceiling make a stunning transformation. What a difference, really nice.

o

Wow what a great transformation. Classy, elegant, sophisticated etc. you nailed it.

o

What a transformation - it is absolutely beautiful. It's like the room grew up. You did such a stunningly cohesive job of tying all the elements together - fireplace, furniture, window treatments, area rug, artwork, lighting (the chandelier is gorgeous in the room).

o

I love it! So elegant. What a super transformation!!!

o

Thanks for all the kind words. It really means a lot. This was a complete DIY project with me and DH. We love the way it turned out. Now to make the rest of the house look as good.....

o

Just wow!!!
Other than adding a few plants, I wouldn't know what else to suggest other than take the time to relax in that beautiful space.

o

Wow, stunning--you should be very proud indeed! I agree that you should not feel rushed to add accessories--live with for a bit and the right things will come along. Congratulations!

o

Lovely! So pleasing to the eye now.

o

It's beautiful! What color did you use for the walls?

o

Very pretty....well done!

o

Love it, great job!

o

Gorgeous!

o

What a wonderful transformation! Strikingly beautiful and very chic!

o

Wow, absolutely beautiful. What a transformation! I love everything about your new look. I just keep looking at the pictures, it looks so peaceful. You must be proud and loving it.

o

Simply gorgeous. I had to scroll back and forth several times to see that it really was the same room. It needs to be in a magazine now. Great job on it.

o

I love the neutral changes that you made that give the rooms elegance and feeling at peace. The colors all go together beautiful and are serene. Your rooms now need to be in a magazine!

o

Very nice!

o

What a beautiful job. I'm glad to see you kept that gorgeous floor.

o

Much improved -- love the chairs!

o

Wow, wow, wow! I love everything about it. Can you tell me what the paint color is?

o

WOW! What a transformation! Your DH must be quite handy with a skill saw. The detailed mantel and ceiling beam mouldings really take the room from good to great! Please tell me more about the print above the FP.

o

Love everything about it especially the ceiling! In the before pic your living room ceiling runs right into other rooms and I was wondering how far the box beams extend?

o

Absolutely lovely!

o

DIY? FANTASTIC JOB!!!! You took a bland and tired room and transformed it into a fresh, multi-layered, lovely place in which to live. Congratulations.

o

Very nicely done! I love the rug it looks like the one I just bought. Gorgeous chairs too. Maybe add a nice tray and some books on the coffee table and that would finish it off. I like the simplicity of the fireplace as is. Nice job. Amazing transformation.

http://www.ourlakelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/HowtoDecorateaCoffeeTa_thumb.jpg

Edit: I have looked all summer for a yellow throw for my living room and finally found one at Target a really cute yellow throw that would look great to pull the yellow in the room from your throw pillows. Small lumbar pillows in yellow on the chairs too. Such a nice serene space.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 12:34

o

Thanks again, all. The color is Behr's Sandstone Cove. I truly think it is the perfect greige -- DH calls it beige, and I see more gray.

The beams end in the kitchen, and the kitchen is unfinished right this second, so at this point they just stop.

I am looking at the Restoration Hardware linen pillows for the chairs:
Wentworth Crest Vintage-Washed Belgian Linen Pillows.

o

It is just perfect! The two of you did a fabulous job - and I LOVE the picture above your fireplace. You made the room cozy yet sophisticated.

o

Someone asked, and I forgot to mention -- the picture above the fireplace is from Restoration Hardware. It is the Elevation of the Louvre.

o

cooki1268, love the coffered ceiling. Curious, how hard was it to build?

o

cooki, considering this is a total DYI, i am SO impressed! this room is just perfect....absolutely beautiful, serene....love everything about it...

i would also love to hear more on how you did the coffered ceiling (also your ceiling height) and more on the gorgeous chandy...

clipping this post for future reference!

o

Our ceilings are 9 feet. The ceiling was hard to build. DH did such a great job. We first removed all the drywall. It was popcorn ceilings (we have just scraped them in the past), but we also wanted to add all of the pot lights and he totally re-wired the room.
 photo 2013-09-21112031_zpsc036bd53.jpg
We then hung the drywall, ensuring all of the seams were going to run under the beams:

photo 2013-10-26093435_zps9480bae1.jpg

He then added some bracing. There was actually another layer of 2 x 4s placed on the bracing:

photo 2013-11-02122444_zpsafbd498f.jpg
 photo 2013-11-09150452_zpsef3664bd.jpg

He then built the actual beams on the ground. They were quite heavy, but between the two of us, we were able to get them in place.

photo 2013-12-30130408_zps7051a3f9.jpg

photo 2014-02-15132616_zpsdd5e2370.jpg

photo 2014-04-17203237_zps7ce1ca07.jpg

This post was edited by cooki1268 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here