Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooki1268_gw

Finally finished - Living Room

cooki1268
9 years ago

We finally finished completely re-doing the living room. Still need some greenery and accessories. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the input and answers to my questions.
Before:

After:

Comments (47)

• barbie08075
    9 years ago

Simply gorgeous!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful! Love the gray and yellow/gold color scheme, the rugs, furniture, boxed beams on the ceiling, the new fireplace--- everything!! It's a total change and is very put together and stylish! Congratulations on a job VERY well done!

• anitamo
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful and sophisticated! Looks completed, too, but if you think it still needs something, I'm sure you'll find the perfect item.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

What a beautiful room. I wouldn't change a thing, it looks sophisticated yet totally comfy.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Wow, it doesn't look like the same room! Beautiful job.

• roarah
    9 years ago

Lovely, enjoy your perfect space!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Very nice! Congratulations.

Beth

• teacats
    9 years ago

Really elegant -- very charming!

Very well done indeed! :)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

So pretty! I especially like how you've decorated the fireplace (and how the new facade looks, too). It's really perfect.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Such a beautiful room. Great job!

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Beautiful room!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

how lovely! In terms of accessories, I might add a plant here or there and maybe something more substantial on the coffee table, but I don't think you need much more. It is a beautiful, serene space. congrats!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Beautifully done.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Lovely! your deserve a reward hope you have a loved one to help you out with one? LOL

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Wow, the FP change and addition of those box beams in the ceiling make a stunning transformation. What a difference, really nice.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Wow what a great transformation. Classy, elegant, sophisticated etc. you nailed it.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What a transformation - it is absolutely beautiful. It's like the room grew up. You did such a stunningly cohesive job of tying all the elements together - fireplace, furniture, window treatments, area rug, artwork, lighting (the chandelier is gorgeous in the room).

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love it! So elegant. What a super transformation!!!

• cooki1268
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. It really means a lot. This was a complete DIY project with me and DH. We love the way it turned out. Now to make the rest of the house look as good.....

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Just wow!!!
    Other than adding a few plants, I wouldn't know what else to suggest other than take the time to relax in that beautiful space.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Wow, stunning--you should be very proud indeed! I agree that you should not feel rushed to add accessories--live with for a bit and the right things will come along. Congratulations!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Lovely! So pleasing to the eye now.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! What color did you use for the walls?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Very pretty....well done!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Love it, great job!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• rhomy
    9 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! Strikingly beautiful and very chic!

• dirtyshoes
    9 years ago

Wow, absolutely beautiful. What a transformation! I love everything about your new look. I just keep looking at the pictures, it looks so peaceful. You must be proud and loving it.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Simply gorgeous. I had to scroll back and forth several times to see that it really was the same room. It needs to be in a magazine now. Great job on it.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the neutral changes that you made that give the rooms elegance and feeling at peace. The colors all go together beautiful and are serene. Your rooms now need to be in a magazine!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

What a beautiful job. I'm glad to see you kept that gorgeous floor.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Much improved -- love the chairs!

• msrose
    9 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! I love everything about it. Can you tell me what the paint color is?

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

WOW! What a transformation! Your DH must be quite handy with a skill saw. The detailed mantel and ceiling beam mouldings really take the room from good to great! Please tell me more about the print above the FP.

• ctlane
    9 years ago

Love everything about it especially the ceiling! In the before pic your living room ceiling runs right into other rooms and I was wondering how far the box beams extend?

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Absolutely lovely!

• 66and76
    9 years ago

DIY? FANTASTIC JOB!!!! You took a bland and tired room and transformed it into a fresh, multi-layered, lovely place in which to live. Congratulations.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Very nicely done! I love the rug it looks like the one I just bought. Gorgeous chairs too. Maybe add a nice tray and some books on the coffee table and that would finish it off. I like the simplicity of the fireplace as is. Nice job. Amazing transformation.

http://www.ourlakelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/HowtoDecorateaCoffeeTa_thumb.jpg

Edit: I have looked all summer for a yellow throw for my living room and finally found one at Target a really cute yellow throw that would look great to pull the yellow in the room from your throw pillows. Small lumbar pillows in yellow on the chairs too. Such a nice serene space.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 12:34

• cooki1268
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, all. The color is Behr's Sandstone Cove. I truly think it is the perfect greige -- DH calls it beige, and I see more gray.

The beams end in the kitchen, and the kitchen is unfinished right this second, so at this point they just stop.

I am looking at the Restoration Hardware linen pillows for the chairs:
    Wentworth Crest Vintage-Washed Belgian Linen Pillows.

• glad2b
    9 years ago

It is just perfect! The two of you did a fabulous job - and I LOVE the picture above your fireplace. You made the room cozy yet sophisticated.

• cooki1268
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone asked, and I forgot to mention -- the picture above the fireplace is from Restoration Hardware. It is the Elevation of the Louvre.

• aries61
    9 years ago

cooki1268, love the coffered ceiling. Curious, how hard was it to build?

• mdrive
    9 years ago

cooki, considering this is a total DYI, i am SO impressed! this room is just perfect....absolutely beautiful, serene....love everything about it...

i would also love to hear more on how you did the coffered ceiling (also your ceiling height) and more on the gorgeous chandy...

clipping this post for future reference!

• cooki1268
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our ceilings are 9 feet. The ceiling was hard to build. DH did such a great job. We first removed all the drywall. It was popcorn ceilings (we have just scraped them in the past), but we also wanted to add all of the pot lights and he totally re-wired the room.

We then hung the drywall, ensuring all of the seams were going to run under the beams:

He then added some bracing. There was actually another layer of 2 x 4s placed on the bracing:

He then built the actual beams on the ground. They were quite heavy, but between the two of us, we were able to get them in place.

This post was edited by cooki1268 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:24