Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help..Where should lights be hung?

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 21:14

I'm finally getting wood flooring throughout our second floor bedrooms. They are pulling out baseboard tomorrow, pulling out carpet and doing other preliminary work.

My SIL is coming over tomorrow night - while things are open and before new floors go in - to wire for sconces that I want flanking the bed. The headboard (on order) has a curved shape.

I have not been able to find many pictures showing where a swing arm wall sconce should ideally be placed. Should the plate be centered over the nightstands (which I've yet to order) or be closer to the bedside?

I can wait till the room is painted & furnished before we hang them, and I can adjust for height then. But I have to decide about where along the width of the wall I want them to install the wiring.

The lamp will be traditional style light with a cloth shade - not a modern metal one - if that makes a difference. I'd appreciate any guidance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help..Where should lights be hung?

I would center the plate over the nighstands, I think.

What I do for fixtures where I don't have an exact position is ask the electrician to leave a long loop of wire in the wall and then have it poking out of a hole in the approximate location.

Then when dimensions are settled I have them come back and install a box. It works better if you know one of the dimensions, because you can have a nailer to attach the box to at the vertical or horizontal position that is long enough to attach the box at various positions.

o

o

I think it depends on the length of the arm and whether you plan on using to read in bed. Some of these pictured would NOT work for reading, so if you want them placed over the table and want to read in bed, make sure you can get a light that will have a long enough arm to work.

This is hung closer to the bed, but the size and night stand arrangement works for that and you could easily read with it

This is centered but long enough to reach the side of the bed for reading

o

Annie, I love how the wiring is hidden under the molding in the first photo.

o

I,opted to put two small spot lights over my bed. I love them for reading! Also less clutter than wall lamps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here