Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhousef_gw

Searching for a Benjamin Moore exterior paint color

newhousef
9 years ago

Hi, we just bought a house and we're looking to repaint our siding. We are going to use Benjamin Moore paint, in some shade of blue. Any ideas for a good blue that would go well with the bricks?

Comments (47)

• newhousef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's hard to see but the dark blue is the original color of the siding.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

You might look at Buxton Blue which is a lighter shade, or the entire range of blues in the Williamsburg color palette.

As you can tell by your house one of the problems with blue on the exterior is fading, so you may want to consider a blue with a strong gray or green undertone

Here is a link that might be useful: BW Williamsburg Color Collection.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Phillipsburg or Van Deusen blues are beautiful. Agree with palimpsest - look at the BM HC blues or the WC (new, gorgeous collection ) colors.

On the WC palette, the Azurite would look good with brick. Don't think any of the other WC blues would work, though.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The ben moore visualizer is a pain, so I went with SW just to give you an idea of colors. Unfortunately I can't operate it well enough to change out the white trim, but this will give you some ideas of color combos and how they might look. I'd definitely paint out the garage door to a color that blends with the brick. I think it looks nice to carry that color up to the shutters for a more cohesive look. This SW color is called drizzle. The brick color is SW roycroft copper red.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You could go more gray like SW aqua sphere

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here is SW turkish tile and I've tried to warm up the trim to honied white.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You could go with a really dark blue gray...this one SW stillwater

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Deep exterior...sw black bean and warmed up the trim to sw fragile beauty

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Deep greens can work well too with the landscape...this SW evergreens

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like Annie's green and brown.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

SW Stratford blue with polished mahogany trim

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I vote for Annie's 4th picture.....the dark blue gray...SW Stillwater.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I'm with joanieponie - of the mockups above, the Stillwater, with a creamy trim.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I showed the pics to DH and he suggested beefing up the trim around the garage door and think about adding some shutters to the lower window too. I don't know how accessible it is, but I'd like to see a light fixture over the garage door too if it's not a lot of work.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I tried
    Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue on the body
    Benjamin Moore Carriage Red on the shutters
    Benjamin Moore Brickyard Red on the garage door.
    White trim

I put wider shutters on the upper story, added shutters to the first floor, and added a light.

I think the garage door may be better blended into the brick, since it really isn't the entryway and is asymmetrically placed.

• User
    9 years ago

The mink color picks up one of the brown tones in your brick. I would also paint the garage door in the mink color. If you go with an unrelated color for the siding (blues or greens) I would paint the garage door the trim color or slightly darker than the trim.

I don't know where the current fad came from to paint garage doors to "match or blend" with red brick, but painting garage doors red does not disguise or in any way minimize or blend them in with brick.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like the wider shutters, the shutters on the lower window, the light fixture, the garage door blending in, but I do like the house with the deeper body color.

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

Stillwater or Mink. Nice mockups Annie

• User
    9 years ago

You might try a mink siding with board and batten shutters and garage door in a warm wood that is varnished.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Here I did
    Benjamin Moore Gunsmith Gray (like the Mink)
    Benjamin Moore Azurite on the Shutters.
    I did the gray on the garage doors, and tried picking the styles and rails out mid-century style in the azurite. Sort of the opposite of blending in the doors.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 13:28

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Palimpset, that Gunsmith Gray is such a gorgeous color, don't you think? I notice that you've discovered the WC collection too.

As far as this house goes, I think I'd update it a bit by panting the window grids black.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Conventional colonial revival scheme

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

IMO the colors posted by palimpsest today at 11:41 are the winners, handdown. The colors are beautiful.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I hate blue houses! I'm recommending BM Nantucket Gray, which looks great when used outside and goes very well with the brick colors.

When your garage door is 1/4 of your front façade, it makes sense to increase the budget that is spent on it. It might be "just a garage", but it is the first thing people notice when they pull up to your house, so it shouldn't be ignored when you consider your overall curb appeal.

• nanmeade
    9 years ago

Here my Blue/Green House. Benjamin Moore Nantucket Green.

• newhousef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like a lot of these.So many options, I don't know how we'll decide. It seems like people overwhelmingly like the shutters painted red. I kind of like the white. Definitely agree on the light fixture though and shutters for the lower window. I'll see what my husband thinks. What do you think of BM sioux falls?

• rgps
    9 years ago

Trust pal. Red is better.

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

I like the Sw stillwater or Benjamin Moore Gunsmith Gray. Both look lovely!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My opinion re: BM Sioux Falls: blah, dull, drab.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Here's a combo of the gray with the carriage red shutters and I was going for a black garage door but this dark brown works well I think.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Of course, from this angle, we can't really see the roof...what color is it?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Stillwater (SW) or Brush Blue (BM).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

newhousef, it's not red, but a brick color so that it ties in the top with the bottom of the house and makes for a more unified look to the facade....the white is a real wash out. I prefer a warmer trim color too as I think it blends better with the brick mortar. Also, the surrounding houses have all white trim, so I think something less white will make your house more standout.

• newhousef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm really liking the gunsmith gray with the carriage red shutters and I'm even considering the white/off white for the siding posted by palimpsest at 14:05. Maybe I'll give up on blue altogether. I should mention we're part of an association who has to approve the colors and they prefer a more traditional look. They'd approve only some of the blues. I'll post several pictures; I'm interested in everyone's feedback.

• newhousef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With the brick shutters.

• newhousef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dove white with blue shutters

• newhousef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

White dove with brick shutters

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The Gunsmith Gray is part of the Williamsburg collection, and it is really an amazing color, has almost a metallic quality to it.

The Azurite in Palimpsest's mock up is also from the WC.

Can you do a mockup with the siding in Gunsmith Gray with black shutters?
    Here is the BM pic showing Gunsmith Gray with black. And black ALWAYS goes with brick. IMO, it's the best color to use with brick.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you go with Gunsmith Gray and black, I'd paint the windows and trim BM Muslin. It would look great with the Gunsmith gray and the black.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If you go with a dark red make sure it is intense enough to stand out against the brick.

I wouldn't recommend white shutters. They stand out against the brick but from a historic context you would almost Never see a white shutter on the exterior of a house.

I surprised that you live in a fairly rigid association. Your new house appears in better condition than your neighbors' houses which have some condition issues. Missing shutter, broken railing, mossy roof.

One of the reasons that I left an association was because of the strange application of rules and regs. It kind of depended upon what a particular board member at a particular time was fixated on.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Palimpsest, can you do a mockup using Gunsmith Grey, black shutters, and ivory trim?

• newhousef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah. There are rules for making changes to the houses, and you have to submit your plans. However, I don't think there are any rules (or at least any rules that are enforced) making sure that you maintain your house. There are neighbors (not the immediate two neighbors) whose houses are in really good condition and extremely charming and then there are neighbors who are elderly and not maintaining their homes.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Here is Gunsmith Gray, Black and Ivory

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

And I tried the same with a Benjamin Moore Azurite Blue garage door

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I really like the gunsmith gray, but not with the blue door...I prefer the black. Very nice.

But I'm also liking the deep forest green...a hangover from the 80s perhaps...

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love the Gunsmith Gray, black and ivory. Really beautiful and classic. I like the red shutters as well but the black is striking.